1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Francis suspended one game for missed flight

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by morganmanor, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Charvo

Charvo Member

From ESPN message boards, but the poster summarizes what David Aldridge off ESPN News said

"According to him (just now Espn News), SF had a very contentious conversation with JVG. SF had ticket to the Super Bowl and decided to stay for the game, while many of his teammates gave up on their tickets."

2. laen21

laen21 Member

I'm sure some of you have seen the recent articles on ESPN insider... saying Jason Kidd needs to be traded in order for the Nets to win. That is debatable in itself, but thats not what I'm here to argue.
    Assuming that New Jersey would trade Kidd, would you trade Francis for Kidd??
    Does anyone have any idea of how much money Jason Kidd is making after signing that contract this summer? And how old is he compared to Francis?

Any takers?

3. edwardlo

edwardlo Member

Look like there is a feud between the JVG and Steve. I kinda of sensing it few weeks ago.
    1) At one of the game, I don't remember which one, JVG was in the process of subsitute Wike with steve. But steve push Wike back to the bench. I was saying to myself, JVG must be pissed that steve did not respect his decision.
    2) JVG has been critized Steve poor performance publicly.
    2) In one of the Yao article which Yao said an explosion may be taken place in a few day. It may have been what happening now. Yao who is friend of Steve and JVG must have noticed a bomb is ticking.

4. Charvo

Charvo Member

Urgent family matter must have meant he invited every single family member in the whole country down to Houston for a big Superbowl party in his Reliant Stadium suite. It would be bad if the host doesn't show up.

5. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

A little balance, people!

We should not blow this off as no big deal nor condemn JVG for not scheduling the flight to accomodate Steve.

On the other hand, he did not commit a criminal offense, don't crucify him.

Steve violated a team rule, and he is suspended one game. I am sure, if it happens again, team rule will call for stiffer penalty.

Let the punishment fit the crime. You would want the same for yourself!

6. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Okay, if true, that's even worse. That's open insubordination. From your self-designated team leader.

When JVG was hired in the off-season, many of us predicted that he and Steve were going to butt heads. In that they seemed to be getting along, I guess many of us ( myself included) forgeot what seemed so obvious at first glance; these two operate on different wavelengths.

7. montevideo

montevideo Contributing Member

"What separates talent from winning and losing is how hard they're willing to work, how much they're willing to sacrifice to win, to go above and beyond, to play through little hurts,
    nicks, sprains, bumps and bruises ... "
    -JVG

That was a bone head move by SF.

I've seen enough now - it's my first season following Rox - to conclude that he's not putting in the effort to help the team become a winner.

He's not picking up the new system because he's not working hard.

He's got a bad case of 'newbigfatguaranteedcontractitis'. And todays move is just a symptom.

JVG has to call him out - because that's the only hope he's got to motivate him - all other approaches have been tried already.

8. sup123

sup123 Member

the guy gets paid millions of dollars, im showing no sympathy for him. He should know better.

9. New Jack

New Jack Member

If that's true, Steve is lucky to only be suspended one game. That is a pretty blatant display of disrespect.

10. Charvo

Charvo Member

Jay-Z is now the part owner of the Nets. I think Steve Francis has a music label, and I think they know each other. There is a connection there. I think the Rockets would have take back some trash contracts though.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If you've only watched him this year, then you HAVEN'T seen enough.

Sure, he's had his problems this year... but there was a reason why most people didn't have a problem w/ him getting a max contract two years ago... because he possesses talents that few other guards in the NBA have.

His shot is gone this year, for whatever reason... and maybe he isn't working hard, or his head isn't in the right place... in fact, I'll agree with all your sentiments.

But, you have to give STARS a chance. They're too rare to toss them aside like we did Eddie... a guy who hadn't proven himself yet.

Steve proved enough to get that max. contract, and so we know he has it in him.

I leave you w/ the example of Hakeem Olajuwon... while he had more talent and skills in his little finger than Steve has in his whole body, there was a time he was considered a "cancer", and that the team would be better off without him.

I know Steve's running out of chances, but its nowhere near time to write him off yet.

12. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Superb Post Nick. The best and most logical post yet in this thread

13. dfoolz

dfoolz Member

Get rid of this idiot! He is a loser. Talk about a person who cares only about himself!I hope he gets traded!

14. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Steve Francis let the team down big time. He just lost a ton of respect from me. The good news? Rox are making a comeback on the suns, go rox go.

15. VinceCarter

VinceCarter Member

trade him for me....

:D

16. m004378

m004378 Member

My prediction for tonights game is that the whole team will have a relatively fair contribution of points due to a better distribution of passes by m jackson. Who knows, maybe sf doesn not even have to come back anymore..... :D

17. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Nick - Nice post, however...

SF committed the cardinal sin that a leader can't afford...he put his interest before the team and he did it in a very VISIBLE manner. Basically rubbed it in JVG and team's face.

I think he's done in Hou...just a gut feeling, probably wrong, but it just seems wrong to have him come back and lead the team.

18. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

As a military officer, I remembered this quote from Stonewall Jackson to his commanders in 1861, "If officers desire to have control over their commands, they must remain habitually with them, industriously attend to their instruction and comfort, and in battle lead them well."

19. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Well said Shark44.

20. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Bill Worrell "this rockets team is in need of a leader."