1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Francis reportedly to become free agent

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by camp77, Jul 11, 2007.

1. camp77

camp77 Member

The Knicks were happy to get Zach Randolph. The Trail Blazers were happy to clear space for Greg Oden. Steve Francis might be the happiest of all.

Multiple media outlets reported on Tuesday night that the Blazers had agreed to buy out Francis' contract -- for almost the full amount.

Portland sent Randolph, along with Fred Jones and Dan Dickau, to the Knicks for Francis and Channing Frye in a draft night trade on June 28. Almost immediately word surfaced that the Blazers would try to buy out Francis' deal.

The Washington Post and Newsday reported on Tuesday that Portland will pay more than $30 million of the $33.6 million that the former All-Star guard is due.

"This was the definition of a win-win situation with Isiah and the Knicks getting Zach Randolph and Steve being the ultimate beneficiary in being bought out," Francis' agent Jeff Fried said on Tuesday, according to Newsday.

According to the paper, Francis will go on the waiver wire at 12:01 a.m. on Wednesday. Another team could claim him, but that franchise would be responsible for his contract. Most likely, Francis will become an unrestricted free agent in seven days.

The Dallas Mavericks and Los Angeles Clippers have been rumored to be interested in signing Francis. The guard's longtime friend and former Rockets teammate Cuttino Mobley plays for the Clippers.

According to the Post, Fried said that the buyout allows his client to find the "right fit as opposed to the most money. He doesn't need much to be made whole."

Francis averaged a career-low 11.3 points per game last year, his first full season in New York. He has career averages of 18.4 points and 6.1 assists per game. Francis made the All-Star Game from 2002-04 while with Houston.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2932433

2. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

damn his agent is good

3. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

i think that he's going to the Clippers to form the three headed former rocket backcourt with Francis/Mobley/Cassell...

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

or paul allen has a bunch of money

#4 pgabriel, Jul 11, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2007
  5. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

The Clippers are the right fit? Maybe if Steve and Cuttino are spooning in a hotel room (come on, you know you were thinking of that one)...

Francis, Mobley, Brand, and Livingston is good for 45-50 wins and a first round playoff exit, but that's about it.

Steve really needs to explore his options. The Clippers should be, at most, his "fall back" team. It's not like he's a 37 year old has been that is trying to latch onto a team for a ring. He's still pretty young (just turned 30), and his body is fresh after only playing half a season last year. He averaged 25 per game when he came back from injury last season, so he obviously still has skills. Almost any team in the league would sign him to a vet minimum contract. He's the ultimate low risk/high reward player.

Question: If you were San Antonio, Phoenix, Dallas, Detroit, or Cleveland, would you sign Francis for the vet minimum?

6. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

i think (this may be my personel bias) but i think if he goes to the Clippers and Francis is remotley what he once was then the Clippers are a dangerous team. They will be a hard team to guard. I would love to see the Clippers start Thornton at the 3 and move Maggette at the 2 and watch him abuse shooting guards ala a young Jim Jackson.

7. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

sign him or push him to the east somehow someway. Last thing I want is for a team like dallas, phoenix, or the spurs to pick him up and he ends up kicking our butt somehow.

Coaches like poppovich and d'antoni might be able to actually use this guy for positive results.

Ultimately it's out of our hands but if the chance to sign him is there than do it. You should always look to upgrade if you're able too.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the problem with steve and cuttino were that they weren't closers.
    they put in cassell, problem solved.

9. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

I would sign him for Fonde All-star. He's done.

10. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Funny how people are ready to throw the MLE at Darko, a bust, but steve francis is all of a sudden a cancer and isnt even worth the LLE...

11. RocketsDynasty

RocketsDynasty New Member

so hes bought out now i say we get him

12. RocketsDynasty

RocketsDynasty New Member

i know were not going to though

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I disagree, I think Steve was a pretty damn good closer.
    Our problem was that our roster consited of Mo Taylor, Cato, Glen rice, moochie Norris and other crappy players. Not to mention Yao has vastly,vastly improved,

14. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

If Stevie would come to the Rox, wouldn't that make more of our guards expendable (ie. Rafer, Head, Snyder, LucasIII) We might get some good players for those guys. I'd do it, I think. He can play 1/2 just like MJ, and that would make a versatile back-court along with Bonzi. I really think TMac could move back to the 3, in fact, I thought I heard at the end of last season that he would prefer to play the 3. That also makes Battier expendable because I believe Landry or Mike Harris might make a 3. Both of them have a mid-range game and a post up game. Oh well, just a thought.

15. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

Much better fit for the Clippers....

The Clippers have a bunch of athletic players that can play with out the ball. Tmac and Francis would be a bad fit since they both need the ball.....

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

How many games before Steve Francis starts conflicting with Dunleavy, just like every single coach he's played for (including Rudy, who was just way too patient with him)? How much you wanna bet it gets worse than Maggette and Dunleavy were last season? I guarantee you it's gonna happen. Francis will get tired of listening to the coach and will want to do things his way. It's the way he is.

17. MaxwellsTemper

Its true he needed to get moved.. but his agent must know how to talk. He got them to buy out nearly his entire large contract. I have no idea how he pulled that off...

18. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Well when you play on ****ty teams and your consistently losing with your coaches gameplan,At what point do you take it in to your own hands? He plays 110% no matter what, I wish the same could be said about Mac....

19. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Contributing Member

You sir have lost what the true concept of what basketball really is.

It's not Tmac's fault that assistant coach Gundy was a goof, and so was management for wasting another year with him.

20. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

So you think Tracy gave 100% effort in every game of the playoffs? Gundy didnt help, but I will never forget Tracys lack of heart out there on the court. Supposedly his "pre-game jitters".....

No doubt as skilled as anyone in the league, but its his mind and leadership abilities that seperate him.....