1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Francis Possibility: The Lakers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by apostolic3, Jul 21, 2005.

1. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Lots of contingencies, but why would the Magic make an offer to Dooling unless they planned on moving either SF or Jameer Nelson?

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_a...yon_dooling_a_three_year_$9_million_contract/

Orlando Offers Keyon Dooling A Three-Year $9 Million Contract
    21st July, 2005 - 2:55 am
    RealGM - Jonathan Givony of DraftExpress reported exclusively to RealGM that the Orlando Magic have offered Miami Heat free agent Keyon Dooling a three-year $9 million contract.

Givony learned of the offer on Wednesday evening from a source with knowledge of the negotiations.

Dooling, who has averaged 5.8 point per game over his five years in the NBA, has yet to accept the deal, as the Nets are also in the running for his services.

Ohm Youngmisuk of the New York Daily News reported that Dooling had arrived in New Jersey on Wednesday night in prepartion of his visit on Thursday with the Nets.

Whether or not the Nets agree to a sign-and-trade deal with the Blazers for Shareef Abdur-Rahim will likely be the deciding factor on where Dooling eventually signs. If the Nets are forced to use their mid level exception on Abdur-Rahim, then they would be out of the running for Dooling.

Dooling was selected by the Magic in 2000, but was traded to the Clippers on Draft Night.

The 6-3 guard out of Missouri became a key member of Miami's playoff run last season after four uneventful seasons with the Clippers.

Givony also reports that signing Dooling could open things up for the Magic to deal Steve Francis, who has been the subject of trade rumors this summer. Givony's source indicated that the Lakers are one of the teams reportedly very interested in acquiring Francis and that Lamar Odom would definitely not be included in the discussions.

Report written by RealGM's Christopher Reina

2. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

if this materializes then I'm happy for sf and cat..

3. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Francis
    Kobe
    Kwame
    Odom
    Mihm

Say what you want about Francis and Kobe, but that's a pretty damn decent starting five. I think Steve would be more productive as a second option, rather than the main scorer and playmaker on offense.

However, who do the Lakers have that they could trade without including Odom in the deal? Medvenko? Grant? They could probably trade Mihm, but that would mean they would probably need to get Cato in a deal with Francis. Otherwise, they would have to start a rookie at Center...

4. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

I really don't know why the writer focused in on the Lakers. If the Magic sign Dooling, there are any number of teams they could trade SF to. IMO, the Lakers actually seem unlikely.

I can't wait until the CBA is ratified because the first few days will be explosive and could hold a lot of surprises.

5. A-Train

That's why I have my doubts about it. If the Lakers could get Francis without giving up Odom, Magic fans will be longing for the days of John Weisbrod...

6. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

That's what I was thinking. I don't see how that trade happens. Francis for Devean George? Brian Grant? RealGM eats their crackers with sprinkles on top.

Evan

7. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

That doesn't make sense for either team. Not for the Lakers because they want to follow their pipe dream of Amare or Yao being available in 2007, not for the Magic because it's stupid. It doesn't make much basketball sense for the Lakers either.

8. vlaurelio

yao always said he enjoyed playing with sf.. they'll get sf now.. then trade kobe for yao.. :D

or kobe for amare.. just not sure if sf and amare are okay now..

#8 vlaurelio, Jul 21, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2005
  9. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I think we should package our expiring contracts (Spoon, Baker, and Moochie) to Orlando for Francis. :D

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Kobe for Francis.

11. brentdapmp

brentdapmp Member

I highly doubt Francis would be traded to the Lakers. If there is any validity to this at all then Steve's trade value has bottomed out.....and to think we got T-Mac for him. :)

12. PhiSlammaJamma

Damn, we'd have to send Rudy T back over to dismantle them again. All that hard work...

13. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Am I the only one who thinks Keyon Dooling is just slightly above CBA material?

Supposedly his breakout year is 5PPG 2APG with fairly paultry 2.0A/TO, 40% FG and 25% 3FG--despite playing with Shaq and Wade.

Our own Mike James is 3x the back-up of Dooling.

3Mil a year for 3 years. Ridiculus IMO.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Wow, then he'd be united by city with his longtime companion, Cat....

Steve has rushed his agent on where and when to pout....

Hey Kupchack, tell Weisbrod CD sent ya, and he'll hook you up with a deal.

15. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

There is no more Weisbrod....He resigned his NBA GM duties for a lucrative career of scouting for the NHL Dallas Stars.

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Oh yeah. That might be bad news for the Lakers, as they have nothing of value.

17. sweetduchess

sweetduchess New Member

This has nothing to do with SF being traded to the Lakers or anywhere else. Eventhough I do think that trade wouldnt be benefitial to the Magic or the Lakers. But anyway does anyone know if SF was recently married? I was watching a local show with him talking about the Summer Fiesta coming up next month here in H-town and I noticed he was wearing a ring similar to a wedding band on his left hand. Does anyone know if the "Franchise" jumped the broom? :confused: :)

18. A-Train

Two years, and your first post is wondering if Steve Francis is still single?

Stalker! :D

19. vlaurelio

too bad.. if weisbrod was there he'd probably settle for a retired divac..

20. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

kobe and francis would make a good 1995 nba jam duo but not a real 2005 duo