1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Francis named Western Conference Player of the Week

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by randerson153, Mar 17, 2003.

1. Stylez

Stylez Member

Big congrats to the Franchise. Thats twice this year keep it up and hopefully we'll be playoff bound.

2. acrophobia98

acrophobia98 Member

I did indicate in another thread last night that although Steve did not show high scores in recent games, he did have a high VGM (with the exception of the game last night) because of higher assist, less turnover, more boards, and passing the ball around nicely.

While I think the last 5 wins was the team effort (not only Yao's or Steve's), Steve as the leader of the team deserves such an honor.

Congratulation.

:D :D :D

3. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

Good job!!!!!

Congrats!

4. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Way to go Steve!!!

5. Newgirl

Newgirl Member

I hope Steve now realizes/believes that passing, not just scoring can get you recognition. Congratulations to him.

6. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Nice job Stevie Franchise.

7. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

Just check back next Monday. Yao finally win a weekly honor after leading Rockets to 4-0 record in the 4-game western road trip! :D

8. carayip

carayip Member

Yeah Steve (and hopefully some of his teammates) should now know that only winning, not individual numbers would get you recognition. Props to him.

9. Surf_Cn

Surf_Cn Member

GO ROCKETS !
    GO STEVES

10. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Way to go Steve, but I'm still seeing some jabs here. I don't think Steve was ever a "my stats first" kind of guy. It's not that he's realizing that he'll get recognition for being a team player, it's that he's improving his passing. As he cuts his turnovers down, his assists will go up and his play will look less sloppy. Also, who says Steve is after individual recognition? All he talks about is getting to the playoffs. They only time MVP was brought up was in that ESPN article where John Lucas tells Steve he can be one.

11. story_teller

story_teller Member

Congrats, Stevie; well deserved! Keep up the GREAT play on this upcoming five-game 'trip and the rest of the season! :)

GO ROX!

12. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good points (by that I mean I agree with and wish I had said it first) by Osaki and new girl. When I read Steve's comment about how few shots he took, it made me nervous. My fear is that he believe you can only be great by scoring a lot of points. There are so many ways to influence the outcome of a game. And he has so much talent. When he learns to use it all, combined with less mistakes (another way to influence the outcome of games) this awarwd will become routine.

13. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

Congrats SF.

It just proves that the bashing was fair and balanced. This award may go further to cement the fact that this is the way SF needs to play when he has that kind of talent around him. I have always said that nobody on this team needs to be playing so many minutes given the depth. Here is an example of a very potent SF without having to play the whole game or go it by himself.

That is why I am cautiously optimistic that we have more than a fighting chance on this road trip. Think about it. Most of the western teams have had their defining moment and ours is due.

14. Raven

Raven Member

I thought I posted on this thread? Was my post deleted?

Raven

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Raven LOL

you posted in the chronicle article where Steve talks about winning the award.

hehe

I guess now you want to cut and paste that into here.

16. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

I wonder if Rudy has a chance at winning the Coach of the month? I mean we have beaten the team that was nipping at our heels or the 8th playof spot, we have the longest winning streak in years, and he has finally gotten Yao involved at all the right times.

If we make the playoffs because of a huge push during this month, then he should be not only up for the coach of the month, but the coach of the year.

17. rocketear

rocketear Contributing Member

Well done,Steve...Congrats! By playing smart,that's all it took, keep it up!!!

18. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

LMAO. Fair and balanced. All Steve has to do to reduce(not eliminate) the bashing he recieves is to win player of the week. That's fair and balanced.:rolleyes:

19. supermagichero

Are you a fortune-teller? :D I hope it will be true.