1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Francis fans need to trust Adelman

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by caffreys_irish_ale, Nov 28, 2007.

1. caffreys_irish_ale

caffreys_irish_ale Contributing Member

Those aren't my words. Here's an article that showed up in the paper this morning.
    What an A-hole. At least the fans in the upper deck are in their seats during the game. And from what we saw from last year Steve is an upgrade over Rafer.

#1 caffreys_irish_ale, Nov 28, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

what is up with the houston sports media and their b****ing about fans wanting steve to play. do they hate steve that much that have to be absolute jerks to the fans. when the fans chanted for steve the first time, the talk show hosts were livid. now people who pay good money for their seats can't root for a player on the team who chose to come back here after he was traded and the media gave him no bit of appreciation when he left.

this article is beyond ridiculous, and the crap about guys in the nosebleads seats is a straight up insult to those fans, as if they are too stupid to make good money to buy the more expensive seats. someone should write the chronicle about this one.

3. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

thx for posting this. i saw this in the paper and was just about to post it, then i remembered i couldnt anymore. this article basically sums it up for francis fans on here :D

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, nothing like an article that insults it's readers. Great journalism. Par for the course for the Chronic.

I don't give a frogs fat ass who plays PG for this team as long as we win.

5. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

It's funny, b/c I agree with him. Although he does kind of talk down about the people crying for Steve, I found it funny. Probably b/c I do the same thing in my head.

6. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

steven campbell is a hack. read what he has been saying about francis all along. total hack. its sad cause its like charlie rosen, but working for our houston chronicle.

7. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

lol @ francis fans being bitter because someone is telling it how it is. you guys belittle adelman, and now someone is belitting you. why am i not suprised :D

8. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

I look at Adelman's track record and I have to believe he knows more than us. So I do trust Adelman.

9. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Sarcasm aside, he's got a point.

Wins are the ultimate goal. I think we can all agree on that.

Wins are what keeps the coach on the sideline. I think we can all agree on that. Losses would hasten his exit from the team.

So the coach, who's goal is to win games and keep his job, is going to put who he thinks will win on the court.

Personally I don't think Steve has done bad at all with his time on the court.

But the authors point, that he tried to get across through thinly veiled sarcasm, is that Steve will get on the court when the coach thinks that's what's best for the team.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

why I am not surprised you're still the only one " :D " at your own posts?

11. EssTooKayTD

I have yet to see that proof. Let me preface my comments with this: I'm a huge Francis supporter. I even bought an authentic jersey of his back in the day. Bought his Reebok shoes even! But let's be honest with ourselves here...

Given Steve looks OK in his minutes so far. Let's not blow it out of proportion. Can he replace Rafer and play better? Maybe. Steve isn't exactly shooting lights out. He's missing 3pters in his minutes as well. Bring Rafer's minutes down to 10 a game (don't celebrate yet).

What do you expect to find? A player who takes care of the ball and will make layups, miss floaters, and miss 3pters. There's just not enough proof that says Francis is any better (or worse) than Rafer at this time.

You know, I don't care who plays, but I want SOMEONE to step up and just hit open shots. If it's Brooks, then let him earn the opportunity. If Rafer can shoot his percentage from last season (mid-30s) that's good. If Steve becomes a sharpshooter somehow, play his ass.

Anyway, I just don't see how you can say Steve is a better option. Especially from last year? Lest we forget, Steve was moved from Orlando and NY. I don't know the particulars, but if he were that good teams would have kept him. Too bad he's not with Howard anymore in Orlando.

12. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

He's not just taking a shot at francis fans, but fans in general. You think Francis Fans are the only armchair coaches? Hell, 90% of this board thinks they were a better coach than JVG. I don't get it, everyone criticized JVG's coaching style since day one but then all of a sudden its a sin to judge Adelmen? I've seen too many double standards with these two coaches. RA gets away with things that would make the board explode if it was JVG doing the same thing.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

exactly the insult is to fans in general, the whole putting down the beer to root for francis crap, that's just an insult to fans in general of every sport.

14. solid

solid Contributing Member

I am not necessarily a Francis fan, but if Adelman thinks Rafer is starting PG material, all his experience counts for nothing. (and that goes for "brickhead" JVG as well) That is a no-brainer issue. And no, I don't trust his judgment on this one. In fact, his performance so far, including rotation issues, substitution patterns, and overall management of the games has been disappointing. I don't trust NBA coaches any more than I do the Congress, the President, and the Supreme Court. They have a persona of competence, but "reality" is far different. I am thoroughly Jeffersonian, I trust the common fan more than the self-styled elite. Would the common fans have signed Moochie to a fat contract? Would the common fans have brought in a parade of ole burned out Knicks? I could go on and on, and you know it's true.

15. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

And the world is a better place for it.

16. poprocks

poprocks Member

Campbell as a sportswriter isn't fit to sniff Steve Francis's jockstrap. He's a hack and has insulted nearly every fan who is a Rocket.

17. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

It's more than just hitting open shots, it's more about creating more opportunities on offense. Because we are talking PGs here, we need them to create plays. Someone that can penetrate, finish or kick it out is more valuable than someone that stands on the perimeter and shoot jumpers all day. Steve isn't know for his shooting (even though his career percentage is better than Skip .429 -.384) but he brings much more to the table that makes up for it. If Skip can hit his jumpers, then I'm all for him starting. But looking at past history, it's a slim chance that Skip shoots better than he usually does.

18. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

To me it just looked like an article written by a journalist trying to suck up to the Rockets management.

Not one point wrt to the play of Rafer or Steve.

The whole nosebleed seats and other insults against the fans were not appreciated.

19. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

This just isn't true. Last year with the Knicks, Steve's play varied between bad and awful, with surge to average at the very end of the year. I know his knees were hurt and his horrible defense wasn't his fault, but Rafer certainly was a better point guard last year. Steve has looked pretty good in his limited minutes this year, and I hope he gets more time. But if you're basing your decision on last year, you play Rafer over Steve.

20. EssTooKayTD

I don't disagree with ya.

In addition, one thing I notice since the days of the 7 game series with Dallas where I really thought we had a nice team is that we had a few shooters on that squad. Wesley, Jim Jackson before that, Barry, Sura was hitting, etc. I really thought that was our best squad in a long time. I felt that was a special season, and we haven't come close to that intensity yet. Even the Utah series, even though I thought we had that one, just wasn't the same. I didn't have the feeling that we could go all the way.

Who do we have that can shoot decent from downtown? Battier and Head. Head plays 10 mins or less now.

But maybe we shouldn't live or die by the 3 anymore. Maybe utilizing Francis's midrange, Tracy's midgame, Scolas, Yaos, etc. could be what the Rockets should try.

Again, enouh babbling from me :p