1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Francis/Cat/Odom/Garnett/Cato a reality?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jahiro, Apr 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jahiro

jahiro Member

trade 15th + GRIFFIN + mo taylor + rice for a garnett who wants out of minn.He absolutely loves rudy.

trade 6th + kenny + ? for odom

steve/cat/odom/garnett/cato

bench
    moochie?/torres/morris/collier/brown

see. it is a possibility

2. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

kg wants out?! whoa.

but to answer the question:

no. haha, are you kidding me. no its not.

this board, if a sitcom on tv, would easily be the funniest thing on cbs. no laughtrack needed.

3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Garnett's a top 5 player in the league. It would probably take Griffen, both picks, KT, and throw-in players to add up to Garnetts hefty contract.

4. jahiro

jahiro Member

since when is mo taylor a throw in? hes been a 18/7 guy is whole career

take out kt and 6th,and its a deal,

i think you just like disagreeing since im the new guy,if i was olipere youd be saying "cool"

5. mfclark

mfclark Member

Perhaps for the Rockets, it'd be a wonderful "possibility." But it's not a possibility for Minnesota or the Clippers. Why?

Minnesota - they need one star to complement Garnett before they make any noise. Trading Garnett would only signify rebuilding and would set them back years in the west. Plus, no team would trade a star like Garnett - young and still improving, plus the entire face of a solid franchise - without getting multiple stars and picks in return. The Rockets would love the deal; Minnesota would laugh it back in their faces.

Clippers - that deal might make some sense...if the Clippers weren't already young and didn't need more draft picks. They are looking to consolidate talent; not trade single players for players and picks. They already have Atlanta's 1st this year, plus their own, and a lot of contracts coming up soon. They aren't about to trade for more.

6. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

jahiro:
    That's a little generous for MoT. He is really looked at around the league as being overrated and overpaid.

Not trying to pick on you, but I just think that there is no way to aquire Garnett right now. Maybe in a few more years if the Twolves decide to start over.

7. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

take out 6th!? dude, you need help. its gonna require 6th AND MORE. :rolleyes:

mo taylor has been a 18/7 guy his whole career?

i would agree EXCEPT his career high for ppg is 17, his career high for rpg is 6.5, his career averages are 14 and 5 and hes coming off an injury.

dude, you really need help. i expect this board to not know too much about the nuggets, but when you start not knowing anything about the rocket...well thats just frightening.

8. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

I just feel like I am standing in the revolving door at Macy's in Manhattan or Grand Central Terminal. People either going or coming, nobody staying. :confused:

9. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

So, ummm...anybody have any cool ideas for our new uniforms?

10. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

No, it's not a possibility. Not even the Clippers & Denver would be stupid enough to make that trade. Here, read my post in this thread. It explains my reasons & it's a parallel thread to this one.

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32489

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

So NugzFan, now it's the whole board that's a joke? I realize you got flamed pretty bad yesterday... it was yesterday, wasn't it? But I've been lurking around here for years and this board is the most knowledgeable on the net about the NBA. Mostly I just read things here, until recently, because it's such a pleasure, partly because some of the ideas here are so funny, but you've always been one of the good posters from another team that spices things up. Don't ruin your reputation (I don't have one, and never will, lol!). O.K.?:)

12. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Leave NutzOnHisChin alone..he's at a Glen Rice Sucks Party with his instant message buddies :rolleyes:

13. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

eh, that was my attempt at a good analogy while ripping cbs i guess.

but honestly, there are quite a few posters that really know very little outside the rockets. i just generalized. obviously most of you guys are pretty kick ass.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Cool, NugzFan. Now I'll go back to my lurking mode!;)

15. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Getting one more star for the T-Pups will not happen any time soon or even 3 or 4 years down the road with their salary cap problems and the fact that they have no #1 in 2002 or 2004. They have absolutely no way of adding with out subtracting.

Plus if you saw the Mavs and T-Pups game last night it should be obvious that Minn is not just one star away from making any kind of run in the play offs. The Pups are fixing to loose their 6th straight 1st round play off serious with KG and none of them have even been close series. With KG and the cast of players they have they will continue to be just good enough to not get an impact player out of the draft but not good enough to even win one play off series.

The media is already starting to talk about KG not having what it takes to get his club out of the 1st round. You can see the frustration and the pressure from the media as well as from ex stars (magic, barkley, kenny smith) starting to get to KG in his interviews. You can see it in his face and hear it in his voice. If the pups get swept by the Mavs then I would not be surprised to see something major happen in the organization.

The only way I could see the team have any chance of getting better is to trade their only commodity. Trading KG clears up a very large portion of their cap problems plus it could possibly net the pups a potential superstar and several number one picks. When the season ends and McHale sees that the pups have reached the very pentacle of their potential and their is no other way to improve what do you think he will do? Remain stagnant and just be happy that the pups are a yearly play off team with no shot at a championship.

Kevin Garnett is a special player but he does not possess the physical strength that a Moses Malone or a Hakeem Olajuwan had and because of it you can see him wear down in the fourth quarter of games. Mo and Dream played their best in the 4th with several players hanging off of them. KG just does not have that type of ability...that much is evident. If the pups want to improve then they may have no other choice than to move KG. Period.

To say teams don't trade superstars is to not have much knowledge of NBA history. Jabbar, Malone, Dr.J, Charles Barkley all traded in the prime of their careers and all more accomplished than KG.

No I don't expect Kevin McHale to trade KG because I don't think he is all that great of a GM. I believe McHale is the reason that the Pups are in their current position.

Still If we offered him a deal that would include a potential superstar like Eddie and enough 1st round picks (this years lottery along with a couple more 1st rounders) and cap relief over the course of the next couple of years then you would think he would have to think very seriously about it. I don't expect it to happen but still....

16. Sane

Sane Member

The Wolves are really screwed aren't they?

But seriously. A Mo Taylor type of player alongside Garnett would be so incredible for that team. He gives them that nudge they need.

But they went and locked up Garnett in a contract worth 3 players, then spent tons of money on joe Smith, who isn't playing much in the playoffs. Wally. Well, I just dont' think Wally can be effective if the defender is average even.

They have some hope though. Put Marc Jackson in the PF spot. Loren Woods develops into a good C. Then they have a good team. With Terrell Brandon.

17. mfclark

mfclark Member

Many, many teams are one star away...LA was one star away until Kobe came along. Chicago was one star away until Pippen came. Dallas was one star away until Dirk came. With creative manuvering via trade and combining future and current picks, Minnesota can make a splash to acquire that one star to place alongside KG.

And with another star, each player can feed off of the other. Minnesota's problem is NOT KG - his play in this series is evidence of that. It's Minnesota's guards. Watch their decision making and you'll see what I mean.

18. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

1. LA has Shaq during a time that there is simply no one else in the league that can match up with him. No Dream, Ewing, Jabbar, Robinson type of players that are in their prime so Shaq is a very unique player at this time. Kobe was really all he needed. Besides Shaq and Kobe are arguably the two best players in the NBA. KG certainly does not present the same match up problems that Shaq creats. As a matter of fact he does not even come close to creating the same type of match up problems.

2. Jordan had Horace Grant and Bill Cartwright to go with Pippen and later he had Dennis Rodman (arguably the best defensive 4 to ever play). The T-Pups have no one on their team to compare with those indaviduals.

3. Dallas has Dirk, Finley, Nash, VanExel, Lafrentz (all are all star caliber) and a ton of roll players that know their role. The pups have KG who is arguably as good as Dirk but after that they have no one that is as good as the Mavs big 5. Dallas won its first play off series of the Cuban era last year even before the addition of Van Exel and Lafrentz so the pups really are not close to Dallas in terms of tallant and one player will not close the gap unless that player happens to be Shaq.

It really does not matter if the pups problem is KG on the floor since the real problem is that the Pups have no way of adding any substantial talent to the existing roster. The pups have no first round pick this year or in 2004. They are way to far over the cap to sign a free agent of any value. The team is just good enough to make the play offs but not good enough to win a series. The only way to add any talent is to get rid of KG. They wont do it but I certainly don't see another way. The Pups are doomed to be a first round bust for another decade.

19. Nomar

Nomar Member

Sometimes this forum is a joke.

Hey fellas, Francis for Popye Jones and a 2nd rounder, mmmmk?

20. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

sometimes?! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.