1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Franchise vs Van Gundy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bigboymumu, Oct 13, 2003.

?

What will be the outcome of this battle?

1. Francis will be traded.

110 vote(s)
    33.1%
  2. Van Gundy will quit.

17 vote(s)
    5.1%
  3. Francis' buddies will be traded to take away Francis' leverage (power) on the team.

30 vote(s)
    9.0%
  4. Franchise and VG will coexist and bring Houston another championship.

133 vote(s)
    40.1%
  5. Other

42 vote(s)
    12.7%
  1. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

I started thinking after the latest articles that there is definitely a battle brewing between the coach and the floor general. I do not believe Francis is really "buying" into the so-called system. He tries to say the right thing but his game has not changed.

#1 bigboymumu, Oct 13, 2003
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2003
  2. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

We need an option stating, "Van Gundy and Francis will co-exist professionally, making Houston a fairly decent team."

3. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

I was thinking that...or, although it won't happen any time soon, JVG is fired.

4. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

i do hope they get along, but if they dont, fire gundy, and hire RUDY TTTTTTTTTTTTT

5. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Nope, the poll's got it right on JVG. He'd quit long before he'd get fired.

6. whats up

whats up Contributing Member

I don't think he will quit. That will worsen... I mean ruin his reputation for quiting and he will never get a coaching job ever again. JVG will have his way with things; either he'll have the dissidents traded or destroyed or coerce them into submission and have them believe that passing is good. He's Ivan the terrible(or something else)! :)

7. Crocketball Fan

I pray that Van Gundy will teach these guysto play as a team and pass. Franchise is the potential lost cause/ diamond in the rough. I'm pessimistic, especially since Franchise is used to getting his way.

8. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

No question about it Franchise must lead the way by playing Team Basketball. We need him playing just like he did on the All Star Team. I am sorry to say this but Steve needs to be put in his place by JVG. 'The Rockets are working towards a Center oriented Team'.If this is true it should be know to all from the set go! If we are going to attempt a dual dominence of Point Guard and Center then it also should be made known from the set go. I think Steve Francis has shown that he can and will adapt to whatever is required of him. This sacrifice will be the mark of a future Champion.

9. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ideally, they will destroy each other.

Then we can start over. :)

Unfomfotably, someone has to lose, and the loser is Stevie Franchise. Good luck, Franchise, wherever you go.

10. Nova

Nova Member

I think they will co-exist and become a good team, but probly not championship calibur. Then Francis be traded.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yes, we are at ENDGAME! The Herculean struggle that is tearing the VERY FABRIC OF PRESEASON apart like a ROTTING CARCASS must be addressed at once! ALL HOPE of PEACEFUL COEXISTENCE is HERETOFORE LOST, NOW AND FOREVER. Let's face it, if everything isn't perfect two weeks into training camp and after FOUR preseason games, it is TOO LITTLE, TOO LATE

It's just a matter of how much damage is done before zero hour.

:rolleyes:

12. OrangeCountyCA

Thanks alot SamFisher. I have been thinking the same thing for the last week over and over again. Some of the posters on this board need to calm down.

BTW are you the same Sam Fisher from Splinter Cell?

13. SamFisher

check my home page...;)

14. Just B

Just B Member

Yetti, I'm shocked! I actually agree with EVERY word you said in that post!:p

No doubt the 2 hardest positions to fill are the center and the point guard, and we happen to be lucky enough to have all-stars at both. I don't think Steve will be traded, instead I think we'll build around a duo rather than any one player.

15. x_trepidation_x

SamFisher,

The more pressing question on my mind is, Does Steve Francis have enough intelligence to play the point guard position? My general assumption is that Francis just doesn't have the marbles to be able to juggle multiple tasks inside his brain and make the smart decisions.

Frustrations are already starting to develop and will only grow as Francis' limitations become more apparent.

In regards to the all-star game...that isn't a real good barometer to Francis' ability to play the point...I don't even consider that a real game considering no body plays defense.

16. SamFisher

From a Jeff Van Gundy interview in August:

17. dischead

dischead Member

Van Gundy is the worst thing that has happened to the Rockets.
    He is an ass, imagine if we got Brown! if he can tame Iverson Franchise would be a breeze.

18. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

Of course Francis is upset -- before Van Gundy, he was the first, second and third option. But the end result was always the same -- the lottery.

If Francis is committed to becoming a superstar (or even making the playoffs), he'll *have* to play a team game. If he's unable or unwilling to do so, the Rockets will never win with him -- regardless of coach.

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I agree with what JVG said. We don't need a pure point guard. We just need a guy who will run the offense. A crappy Derek Fisher would work, or a scoring guy like Arenas will work, as long as they buy into the system.

But I also think that Francis is gonna be traded, because he will not (or cannot) buy into this system. 4 games into the preseason, and he hasn't yet...

20. SamFisher

yup thats more than enough time. trade him quick before more children die.