1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Franchise Player?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by djteknokid, May 7, 2002.

1. djteknokid

djteknokid Member

Just one simple question.

Is Rockets building a team around Steve Francis??.. the way Lakers , Spurs, and 76ers were built around their super stars.

2. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Well, if they do in fact pay him the MAX, then you would have to say that YES, they are building around him.

3. Sane

Sane Member

Not the same way, but we are building around him.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Steve is not a superstar.

DaDakota

5. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

Man get real!! The rest of the league and country seems to think so. Please make sane quotes!:mad:

6. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

How many superstars do you think there are then?

15? 20?

7. Asian Sensation

I think there are only a very few Superstars in this league. And a LOT that are just very good.

Superstars.

Shaq
    Kobe
    Duncan
    Iverson
    Payton
    Kidd
    Garnett
    Webber*
    Tmac
    Carter*
    I might be missing a few

The Very good group

Francis
    Baron Davis
    Nowitzki
    Walker
    Pierce
    Wallace Ben and Sheed
    Stackhouse
    Ray Allen
    And the list goes on and on.............

My point is you don't need to build around a superstar if u have quality players that know how to play the game.

8. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I think in the last 2 years, Pierce may have moved himself up into the upper echelon there.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Asian is right on the money.

I think Steve is a Star, but not quite a superstar.

DaDakota

10. djteknokid

djteknokid Member

Does anyone think Cat is a good SG to have when you build a team around Steve?

11. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

If Dirk Diggler is not a "superstar" then I dont know who is. The man is a bad ass!

12. bsb8532

bsb8532 Member

Cat and Steve are fine together, but if we aren't able to get what we need in the draft then we have to consider what we can get for Cat. I love the guys intensity and how hard he works along with how he and Steve feed off eachother, but with our lack of ability in the frontcourt we may have to make a move that isn't desirable. Ideally we'd be fine with Cat if EG develops into the star PF he can be and we draft an impact player at SF (one who makes up for some of the defensive inabilities of Cat and Steve and also adds some scrappiness).

13. RNuss02

RNuss02 Member

I agree w/ bsb, that our backcourt of Steve, the "soon-to-be superstar", and Cat, the soon-to-be very good player," will be just fine, if not awseome.....IF.....Eddie Griffin eventually blossums into the dominant player many feel he can be at the pf. A star at the 1 spot is nice, but you definitely need another great player to carry some of the load while the point takes care of commanding the team, making the passes, etc. This wouldn't be the case if we had a superstar SF or SG, but since our best player, and team building block is at the point, someone else (a bigger presence in the post) is needed.

Let's see if Griffin is the real deal the next few years. If he is, then all we need for a solid line-up is a couple of hard-working, role players with somewhat decent scoring abilities and defensive mentalities!

Francis and Mobley are or will soon develop into the most dynamic backcourt in the game, along with EG's help!