1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Franchise could have a quadruple double

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by cheaprings, Nov 17, 2004.

1. dreday

dreday Contributing Member

For Hill's sake I hope that doesn't happen. I've never been a Duke fan but you can't say anything but good things about this guy.

2. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

Franchiseblade,

That is just an ass of a comment. Grant Hill is a quality guy and to assume that he WILL go down is silly.

Simply Put,

Grant Hill is the perfect compelement to Steve Francis. He is heady, runs an amazing fast break and plays the point forward much of the game as Pippen did, allowing Francis to be a scoring guard.

Francis gave his everything , 100% of what he had was left on the floor every night. I loved the guy, but he did have drawbacks. Having a team of a brutish (Howard/Cato/Battie) interior and a smart, point forward in Hill will suit him much better than the Rockets ever would have.

I personally think both teams are better off, and I wish Francis nothing but the best. When he comes to town I am going to cheer and chant for him and anyone that boos him has no respect for how hard he played for us.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I wonder what kind of team we would have had if we had not wasted 3 picks on EG?

DD

4. adai

adai Member

I also wonder what kind of team we would have had if we had kept EG.

5. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

If we kept the picks that we traded I would speculate only RJ will still be on the team for sure. Collins I am not sure what may have happened to him, hopefully re-signed cheap. It would be nice to have a combo of Yao, RJ and T-mac now and having a younger backup C in Collins for Yao.

But at the same time if Eddie did continue to play without his off-court problems a core of Yao-EG-TMac doesnt look too bad either.

6. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

That assumes that we would have drafted Jefferson for ourselves. As it is the Nets told us who to pick to make the trade.

7. adai

adai Member

We really need a Former Rockets Section.
    Griffin gives Wolves another dimension
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=knight-griffingiveswolvesanother&prov=knig
    ht&type=lgns
    BY MIKE WELLS, Pioneer Press

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. -- Timberwolves forward Eddie Griffin isn't one of
    those players who grew up shooting NBA three-pointers as a kid.
    Because he usually was among the tallest players on the court, the
    6-foot-10 Griffin mainly played in the post and only occasionally
    stepped out on the perimeter.

It wasn't until the Houston Rockets drafted him that Griffin began to
    expand his range. In fact, Griffin mainly played on the perimeter with
    the Rockets.

Seeing Griffin catch the ball and shoot a three-pointer might make
    some nervous, but the Wolves don't get an uneasy feeling because
    Griffin has the ability to make the shot. He went into Wednesday's
    game at Detroit shooting 40 percent from beyond the arc. And he has
    shot 33 percent on three-pointers during his career.

"I do it because it stretches the defense out," said the soft-spoken
    Griffin, who was signed shortly after the start of training camp. "I
    shot some threes when I was at (Seton Hall), but I started doing it a
    lot when I was in Houston."

When Griffin gets more used to the system, the Wolves would like to
    play him and Kevin Garnett together more often because it keeps the
    defense honest. Griffin has been putting in extra time after practices
    with vice president of operations Kevin McHale.

"We thought he'd be a good mix with us because of his ability to play
    with K.G.," coach Flip Saunders said. "If teams are trying to trap
    K.G., he has the ability to knock down shots. He's got great range. No
    one probably shoots it with more rotation in the league."

The one drawback to Griffin shooting jumpers is that he doesn't spend
    as much time in the post.

"As I told him, it's still a process for him to keep on working the
    next two months to hopefully get to where he was two years ago,"
    Saunders said.

8. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/statistics?statsId=3517
    He's still little more than a poor man's Robert Horry. He gave up on his career, the Rockets didn't give up on him. Our PF issues would hardly be smoothed by keeping him around.

Players we could have gone after (to keep) in our 13/18/23 spots:
    Richard Jefferson
    Troy Murphy
    Jason Collins
    Zach Randolph
    Brendon Haywood
    Gerald Wallace
    (Samual Dalmbert)
    (Tony Parker)

The 2001 Rockets were made up of Steve/Mooch-Anderson/Cat, Walt, Taylor, and Dream/Cato. The needs were focused on the frontcourt, especially center and 3 (still in a honeymoon phase with MoT). Jefferson would have been a good pick, but I have my doubts as to whether he would have worked in our system any better than Anderson. Troy Murphy was widely thought to be a Rudy T pick (he always drafted people that reminded him of himself). Zach Randolph was hurt by critics saying he was leaving too early. Collins and Haywood weren't and aren't much to get overly excited about. Wallace was (and is still) raw in his skills despite athleticism beyond measure. Dalmbert was a gigantic question mark and project. No way would we take a flyer on an unknown 19 yr old European PG when we had Steve.

If I personally were to go back in time I'd make the following selections:
    13. Jefferson
    18. Randolph
    23. Wallace

Evan

9. PhiSlammaJamma

Griffin will never be in the post. It's like trying to get Robert Horry in the post. It ain't gonna happen. Some players are born back to the basket, and other born with the face to it. Griffin was born with his face to it.

10. mulletman

mulletman Member

francis is playing like he was two years ago before the rockets played the blazers and rasheed wallace committed that hard flagrant foul on francis as he was going up for a dunk. he wasnt the same player that season after that foul. of course, last year, he had to deal with JVG.

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah he doesn't have a history of injuries or anything. He almost always plays 82 games a season.

I know that Grant Hill is a quality guy. He seems to be a genuinely good citizen, and is very talented on the court. He's exceptional. I didn't say anything negative about Grant Hill at all. I don't have anything against Hill.

I only commented on his durability. He's been injured more than he's played, so for me to think he's liable to be injured again isn't silly. I hope he's not.

12. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

It's not like he keeps getting injured. His problem is that he never properly healed the first time.

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Probably a good defensive team that can't score.

14. wizardball

wizardball Member

called for Orlando to make POffs

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

he is a prime example of why players should
    not play injured. . .even to get your team into or through
    the playoffs. . .

He left it on the court. . .

Rocket River

16. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Perhaps... I thought there was a knee, and a foot/ankle problem. That would be at least two. But I could be wrong. I do know that he has tried to come back a number of times and has even played in some games but went out injured again.

I don't mind other people feeling confident he will finish this season. I hope that he does, I just have zero confidence that he will.

17. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

When we traded for T-mac was there ever any chance we could have gotten G.Hill with that to?

18. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

No knee, just the ankle.

Played on it despite a stress fracture in his last year in Detroit when they made playoffs. Had surgery after the ankle didn't respond to rest, the fracture still didn't heal, prompting bone graft surgery, which still didn't help much and even gave way to bone spurs which had to be removed.

The final development, in early 2003, was the decision that the ankle joint was never set properly in the first place and needed to be reshaped or Hill would just continue re-aggravating it. If you've ever been exposed to orthopaedics, this happens once in a while and is not a light-hearted matter. The ankle was refractured and remodeled in major surgery. Hill still has a lot of metal and plastic in his foot because of all of this.

After taking the year off recovering and rehabbing, you now have Grant Hill, v3.1

Evan

#58 emjohn, Nov 18, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2004
  19. dreday

dreday Contributing Member

It would have been pretty close to impossible because of the difference in money. We would have had to given up the whole team and some land...

20. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Yeah I thought about that. That would also hamper us resigning Yao as well wouldn't it. But damn it would have been a nice team ;)