1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

France facing exodus of young people

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Aug 20, 2005.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

http://news.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=1767642005

France's young set off on 'bon voyage' to better life

SUSAN BELL
    IN PARIS

FRANCE is facing an unprecedented new-generation exodus as many of its disillusioned younger people leave in search of a better life abroad.

French organisations offering help to those seeking to emigrate have reported an increase in requests for assistance from young people.

Fed up with a country they describe as rigid, racist and old-fashioned, French youngsters are opting for a new start in Britain, Canada, America or New Zealand where they can find housing and jobs more easily than in France.

Unemployment among the under-25s in France stands at 23.3 per cent, and 40 per cent of 18-30 year-olds describe their financial state as "difficult".

Many cite French employment practices as being at the root of the problem.

Hugues, 29, who completed his studies in Grenoble in eastern France, moved to Vancouver two years ago and now works for a leading producer of animation and video games.

"In France nobody recruits for fear of being unable to fire people," he said. "Here in Vancouver there is no problem in finding employment. Anyone who wants to work, works. Since I've been hired I have received four other job offers and I earn three or four times more than I would in France."

The French tradition of offering university graduates low- paid short-term work experience, rather than full-time employment, is also blamed for the precarious financial situation in which many young French people find themselves. A massive 36 per cent of the working population aged from 25-29 say they have no job security, and 43 per cent say they have changed companies at least three times since starting work.

Many young people complain that the French practice of rating age and experience over potential or achievements when hiring or promoting employees also makes advancement difficult.

"If you're not 40 years old and wearing a suit, no-one takes you seriously here," said Germain, 27, who is planning to emigrate to Canada next year after returning to France with six months' experience working in duty-free jewellery shops in the French Carribean.

He sent off five CVs to Canadian companies as an experiment and receive five job offers - a far cry from France where a mailing of 22 CVs resulted in only one offer. "I have trouble selling the quality of my work here," he said. "In France, they prefer to stress how many years experience you have."

Sociologist Olivier Galland believes a cultural gap is opening up between the young and the rest of French society.

"Eighteen- to 30-year-olds have an image of a rigid, authoritarian country lacking flexibility," he said. "They are looking for a more flexible hiring system... and they head for those countries where the culture of little jobs is more developed."

Young French people are also drawn to move by a climate of tolerance and dynamism which they can miss in French society.

"I feel I'm living in an ageing country which sinks further every day, where people are worn out," said Valerie, 34, a nursery school teacher who plans to emigrate to Quebec.

"Perhaps I am idealising Quebec a bit, but I find people there more positive, more confident, more respectful of others."

2. Greg M

Greg M Member

Interesting read. Thanks. I've got to admit that I don't know anything about the domestic situation of France, other than the fact that everybody's usually either on strike or on vacation. Does anybody have any insight why people are afraid to fire employees? Are the laws that much more stringent?

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the read, texxx. It's curious that they had no source for their statistics. Might be interesting to hear ala's take on this. Are you sure they aren't just bashing France because it feels good?? ;)

Keep D&D Civil!!

4. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Are freedom whores also eager to emmigrate?

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

france is just going through
    what
    we went though in the 80s
    america changed the business model
    [hiring young and cheap . . .firing or stagnating the old]

france maybe slow to adapt
    5~6 weeks of vacation is nive though

rocket river

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The domestic situation in France really is a mess ~ remember kids just say no to isolationism and 35-hour mandatory work weeks...

7. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Conversely, older workers are gainfully employed in France? Just the opposite in America where our way is the fire anybody that gets too old. We wouldn't want to pay older folks for their expertise or loyalty. Naw, its better to keep a younger and dumber workforce. Younger folks will work longer and harder for less pay (cause they don't know any better).

At least you can't accuse the French for exploiting their workforce.

They have their issues to work out, as does America.

If we could figure out how to keep the emergency room from being used for routine medical care or stop ambulances from driving by 4 ERs before getting to one that will accept new patients, then that would be nice.

8. bigtexxx

Do you have facts to back this up, or are you just babbling nonsense?

9. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Interesting read texxx...

I have a very good friend of mine who is taking grad studies at UH. She is French born and raised (her parents are Persians who migrated to France decades ago). She was here as a foreign student and she's been trying to find a way to stay here in the States legally once she's done with her studies. She told me very similar things to what the article discusses, specifically that the job market in France is very unfriendly to young college grads, and the economy was just too stagnant and not growing enough to absorb the young workforce.

Add to that the fact that the French work too little and vacation for too long, and I can see why they might be struggling to keep some of their bright, eager young minds at home in an increasingly 'flat', competitive global market where everyone is competing with everyone, not just within their own countries, but rather with the entire world. In this world, people have to work longer and harder (and have to be increasingly willing to work for cheaper) in order to stay on top. 35-hour weeks just won't cut it anymore; I worked that much in less than 4 days, putting in more than 50-hour weeks just to get my work done.

I think there is a lot of truth to what the article talks about.

#9 tigermission1, Aug 20, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2005
  10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

working longer harder for less
    is that a good thing?

rocket river

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I heard some interesting facts about Europe and a funny perspective. Americans will say America is the best because we work the hardest, and the most and our military are the peacekeepers all over the world.

Europeans would say that makes you better?

In the past fifty years Europe has moved beyond wars and military. There isn't an army in Europe that would pose a challenge to the Colorado National Guard. They want it that way. Their children can get a college education for less than $100 a year. Ever since they started the Euro it has been the strongest currency on the market. A family that wants to take an American vacation may find that difficult. They would get in their jeep, fill it up with gas from Amoco drive away and stay at a hollyday inn, maybe eat at burger king, and stop at the store for some mott's applesauce on the way home.

All of those corporations are European. They own it all.

It was interesting to hear all that. It was during NPR's gameshow Wait Wait Don't Tell me that I heard the story.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Can't help yourself, can you, texxx. Here is a topic that you started, that is interesting, and you take the first opportunity for a personal slam. Yes, you were implying, to be gentle, that krosfyah was "babbling nonsense."

Why do you have to go that route? This is a very complex subject. There is much to be said about the European system of employment (France, of course, is not alone in their approach), both good and bad. There is much about our system that is both good and bad.

In short, both systems could learn a great deal from each other. We work too much, and enjoy life too little. They perhaps don't put in enough time working, and may be spending more time taking vacations than they should. We have horrific numbers of people, tens of millions, without health insurance. Over there, everyone has health insurance that is guaranteed by the state. There are many other differences between our systems, of course.

In my opinion, this isn't an issue that can be covered with a sound bite or two of your pithy remarks. Why not have an actual discussion for once about something??

Keep D&D Civil!!

13. bigtexxx

If people are going to make outlandish statements, I will ask for them to prove it. Plain and simple. I want to learn, Deck.

14. bigtexxx

I can't believe you typed that. You can't be serious, I hope. Who do you think pays for that $100 education? TAXPAYERS, friend, taxpayers.

LOL - "the strongest currency on the market"? Why is Europe upset about the weak dollar, then?
    http://washingtontimes.com/upi-breaking/20041110-104430-7544r.htm

A strong Euro is not good news for the European economy, particularly exporters. It's not the same as a strong stock market or even a strong economy, FB.

15. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

In a World of global competition, yes.

16. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Thanks Sishir, you beat me to it! :)

As Sishir has already stated, Rocket River, it's NOT necessarily a 'good thing' to the average person that they WILL eventually have to work more and be paid less just to stay competitive within this globalized world, but it WILL become a necessity if you want to stay competitive. That's just reality, I wasn't at all trying to make a judgement about it.

Obviously, common sense would tell us that it isn't a positive thing for the average American or European (pretty much the richest nations on earth) to have to work harder while accepting less pay (or a reduced standard of living, which is ALREADY taking place as we speak). However, I do see it as inevitable. IMO, the only way to 'bring up' the rest of the world economically is to 'bring down' our own standards, which will likely lead in the long run to a more 'global' standard of living.

This is what 'Free Trade' and a 'world without barriers' ultimately means. MNCs can sell products everywhere in the world, while employing qualified people from all over the globe who are willing to work for less and possibly even put in longer hours and be less 'demanding'. However, it does work both ways. For example: most major Japanese and Korean automakers are now employing Americans in their American-based assembly/manufacturing plants, which is great news since most American car manufacturers are now employing non-Americans to build their cars. On the other hand, you have countries with much lower standards of living -- China and India for ex -- who are taking advantage of their position vis-a-vis the US to build up their own economies. So basically while our trade relations with Japan and the EU are good examples of how a global economy can 'idealy' work (there are glitches of course, but nothing too serious to overcome), our trade relations with China and India are far from ideal, and some would argue are in fact hurting the American worker.

17. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Here's your fact.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Here's another fact.

Every argument has at least two sides to the story.

If young people can't find work...then it is a logical conclusion that older people are the ones pulling up the slack. I don't need facts to understand that...I need a brain.

18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree that they pay high taxes. They get a lot in return including a college education for under $100. Exporters are one thing, and importers, shop owners, general populace are another.

I stated the fact that sense it came into existence the Euro has been the strongest currency on the market.

19. bigtexxx

I was talking about your American claims around the job market and how America fires old people. Those were the claims that I wanted backed up by facts.

For your benefit and credibility, you need to logically think through your posts. When you make broad sweeping claims or statements, back them up with facts. You're welcome in advance.

20. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Thanks for the laugh, texxx. This from the guy that demands answers and backup from everyone else on the board and runs away EVERY single time he's asked for the same. You are hilarious.