1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

FoxSports: Blazers' O'Neal Asks for Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thacabbage, Jun 14, 2000.

1. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

will, i kindof find it refreshing that a player wants to show what he can do in this league. I think its much better than being paid 5 mil a year to be the tenth man and wit on the bench and watch pip choke your playoff chances away. It's called wanting to be the best and having a competitive drive and wanting to be the best. I know I would want PT. I think its admirable.

Also, Jermaine has been on the bench for awhile, it may be good to have money, but I think wanting to earn it is very admirable

------------------
    "Don't they get cable in Canada ?" Keith olbermann, after watching hakeem block terry catledge's shot 5 times.

2. BigDog

BigDog Member

O'Neal has a very good game. The problem is he's playing behind Sabonis, Rasheed and Brian. Hell if you had to sit and watch them play all but 3 mins. a game you'ld be pissed off too. He is only 21 as well. Just imagine him within the next 2 yrs. Once he establishes himself with the flaky ass refs, he could be close to KG. Maybe not as dominate but close.

------------------

3. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

i saw his highlight reel, and he didnt look bad (i guess everyone looks good in their reel though). His offensive game is MUCH better than cato's, he just seems too skinny though.

------------------
    "Don't they get cable in Canada ?" Keith olbermann, after watching hakeem block terry catledge's shot 5 times.

4. MManal

MManal Member

gr8, I agree, from the limited action I saw of O'Neal, that he did appear to be a good bit more fluid on the offensive end than Cato. Also, I really liked how his timing on blocking shots is very good which is borne out in his solid block per minute numbers. He seemed to be active around the basket which I also like in a player (esp for this team) and showed a lot of natural talent. I think whether its Jerome Moiso or Jermaine O'Neal, the target this summer needs to be a long, athletic PF that can become an option in the frontcourt. Even if they are skinny right now, its ok imho b/c some bulk can be added.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

5. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

It's hard to gauge Jermaine O'Neal when the only thing I ever see him do is come off the bench, pick up some quick fouls, and go sit back down on the bench.

I think with Jermaine's combination of athleticism and stature (6'11, long), he definitely is an interesting prospect. However, his contract situation scares me, and I don't like the idea of using the majority of the trade exception on such a risky player. I also don't think I could live with the fact that we sucked for an entire year to trade for an unproven talent.

To answer my own question, I would not take O'Neal off Portland's hands.

------------------
    "My sources tell me Rudy Tomjanovich is head coach of the Houston Rockets."

[This message has been edited by thacabbage (edited June 16, 2000).]