1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FoxSports] Battier Talks Trash, Claims He's the Best

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by durvasa, Nov 24, 2012.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

... at Jeopardy.

http://www.foxsportsflorida.com/11/.../landing_heat.html?blockID=824297&feedID=3720

[rquoter]
    MIAMI — Academic trash talking has hit the NBA.

Two foes battled fiercely on the court Wednesday night at AmericanAirlines Arena. But their war of words wasn’t about which team won or which player had the better game. It was about who is better at general knowledge.

It all started when Miami forward Shane Battier claimed two weeks ago he can beat any other player in the NBA in "Jeopardy!" When Battier’s former Duke teammate and good friend Mike Dunleavy heard this, he scoffed.

“I don’t know if he could beat Duke players,’’ said Dunleavy, a Milwaukee forward who had 16 points and four rebounds to Battier’s no points and seven boards in a 113-106 overtime loss to the Heat. “He probably could beat everybody else. I don’t think he could beat me. … I think what he meant to say is (Battier) can beat any player in the NBA besides any who went to Duke. I think Grant (Hill, also a Duke alum) could give him a run for his money.’’

Hearing what Dunleavy said, Battier’s dander was raised.

“Michael knows better,’’ Battier said. “I’m a little disappointed in him saying that. … I’m ready any time, any place. Tell Dunleavy, tell Grant Hill, you know where to find me. Home or away, I don’t care.’’

Hill, a 1994 graduate, and Battier, a 2001 graduate, both attended Duke for four years. Dunleavy left in 2002 after his junior season, but one year less at the school hardly deters him from believing he could beat Battier in "Jeopardy!"

“He’s a religion major,’’ Dunleavy said. “I’m a history major, and I’ve read a lot of books. I’ve read a lot of stuff.’’

Battier begs to differ. He said he’s more rounded.

“He’s a smart guy,’’ Battier said of Dunleavy. “He’s bright. He’s not going to get blown out of the water. But where I get him is in culture. Pop culture. Edge: Battier. I have a pulse of the people that most NBA players lack. Grant would be very good, but with pop culture and random factoids, I got him.’’

While most NBA trash talking has to do with what happens on the court between sweaty athletes, it’s refreshing to hear players argue about mental ability. Heat guard Dwyane Wade is a 10-year veteran, and he hasn’t seen anything like it.

“That ain’t bad,’’ Wade said of the academic trash talking. “I like that. ‘I’ll beat you in "Jeopardy!"’ and ‘No, I’ll beat you in "Jeopardy!"’ ’’

The Heat and the Bucks have three more meetings this season. Perhaps show host Alex Trebek will have a chance to stop by one of them to help settle this war of words.

Chris Tomasson can be reached at christomasson@hotmail.com or on Twitter @christomasson

[/rquoter]

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I would love to see an NBA Special on Jeopardy!

3. durvasa

They could make it a (No Stats) All-star event. :)

4. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

What about Jeremy Lin. Harvard grad.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'll take $500 for "Meaningless NBA Trivia," Alex

The Answer is: A Rockets player who can beat Shane Battier at Jeopardy.

6. Dei

Dei Member

Who is Jeremy Lin?

7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

"Over Ate It" for $100 please.

Answer: Camps out on the corner perimeter

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Lin probably has a lot of useless facts rattling around in his head from all the hours his Tiger Mom made him study. But, Battier and Hill have got a lot of years on him, and Jeopardy definitely favors old people.

9. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

No points. Please phrase your answer in the form of a question.

10. Prince

Prince Member

OMG, I didn't know Shane is that immature.

11. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Who is Shane battier?

12. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

When keepin it real goes wrong.

Thugs.

13. Yonizzel

Yonizzel Rookie

Shane battier is a consummate professional and I'm proud to call him a Rocket. Did I say that right?

14. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

Shane Battier - The People's Jeopardy Champion

15. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I hope Battier retires a Rocket.

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

Awww shiiiieeeet. Is on now!

I expect fines from stern.

17. bongman

bongman Member

Jalen Rose has no comment :grin:

18. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Folks, this is real.

19. durvasa

<script src="http://player.espn.com/player.js?&playerBrandingId=4ef8000cbaf34c1687a7d9a26fe0e89e&pcode=1kNG061cgaoolOncv54OAO1ceO-I&width=576&height=324&externalId=espn:8759669&thruParam_espn-ui[autoPlay]=false&thruParam_espn-ui[playRelatedExternally]=true"></script>