1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FOX26] Shawn Respert No Longer With Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Jun 30, 2011.

1. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/nba/110630-shawn-respert-no-longer-with-rockets

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Dang, he was pretty key on a lot of development for the Rox...and for those that think our 14 pick is going to be a great player, this guy was taken 8th...and was out of the league in 4 years.

DD

3. JamesC

JamesC Member

I thought his medical issue forced him out of the league. Wasnt it cancer or something? Anyways glad he made a full recovery.

4. CXbby

CXbby Member

For those that thought Aaron Brooks was going to be a great player, he was taken 26th.

For those that thought Chase Budinger was going to be a great player, he was taken 44th.

That didn't seem to stop some from thinking they were going to be great players. :confused:

1 person likes this.
  5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Great or franchise as you have said is far different than good or role player.

DD

6. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

R-E-S-P-E-R-T, find out what it means means to me. Sock it to me.

2 people like this.
  7. CXbby

CXbby Member

Are you trying to tell me all this time you only thought Brooks and Budinger were "good role players"? Give me a break. How dumb would you have to be to not want to trade a "good role player" for a top 5 pick?

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He was a solid guy. Will be missed. Wasn't he at Rice previously?

9. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

I'm confused as to what DD and CXbby are arguing about. Both seem to be reaffirming the fact that draft picks don't always determine how good a player is, but CXbby seems to think that picks still have some value in #.

10. ThaShark316_28

I really hope this is sarcasm or something.

1 person likes this.
  11. Chris Jent MVP

what is wrong with you dude. this is totally irrelevant to the topic, not to mention negative and unnecessary.

and if it's true that his nba career was brought down by cancer, then you are a big fat jerkface for saying that.

you debbie downers have no tact at all. for shame.

1 person likes this.
  12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

13. CXbby

CXbby Member

I think indeed you are a little confused, buddy.

14. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

But according to DD, not only top draft picks not have value, late 1sts and second rounders (i.e. Budinger and Aaron Brooks) are only role players. So I guess it's impossible to get any good players?

Whatever, nothing DD ever says makes any sense and he always flip flops on everything and tries to justify it. And in every damn sentence he has "...." somewhere in there.

1 person likes this.
  15. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

Okay, "buddy" go ahead and clarify. There must be some back story I'm missing here.

16. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

DD is trying to insinuate (because we all know what sort of basketball genius he is) that because Shawn Respert was the #8 pick and was out of the NBA in four years that the #14 pick could be a total bust. He is telling the people here who believe that the #14 pick the Rockets have had the past two drafts can develop into a good/great/all-star player need to take a look and see because this one player in this particular draft was out of the league so quickly and so just because it happened to this one guy in this particular draft (no mention of course of the health issues Respert had that had more to contribute to his inability to consistently play at a high level that is NBA basketball) that this one event in NBA draft history is more than enough to judge future and present NBA drafts though it has nothing to do with one another.

Using the same logic DD used to infer the #14 pick could be washed out in 4 years:

Steve Nash was the #15 overall pick back in 1996 and won back to back MVPs...so there is no reason to believe that the #14 pick will not only win back to back MVPs but also a finals MVP as well since well #14 > #15 when it come to draft order.

On a side note I hope Respert gets picked up by another team soon or lands on his feet somewhere. He is an extremely nice person and I enjoyed the conversations I have had with him over the past few years at games and all. Very honest and candid about who needs to work on what and how. Surprised that the Rockets did not renew his contract I always felt that he was hired by the front office and not necessary a part of Adelman's staff.

3 people like this.
  17. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

This is a prime example of why no one listens to you.

All the back and forths about non-sense all to get to a million meaningless posts.

It's hard to come on here and truly believe some of you are Rockets fans with the way you but so-and-so 55th pick against so-and-so 4th pick. I would love for either players and all players achieve the goal of another ship together not bandwagon and favorite certain players over others.

Nearly impossible here with people like you.

18. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

DD getting back to prime form again..

The cycle continues.

1 person likes this.
  19. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Where was Kobe taken? 13th or so?

20. CXbby

CXbby Member

John Stockton, Karl Malone, Joe Dumars, Reggie Miller, Tim Hardaway, Kobe Bryant, Zach Randolf, Al Jefferson, Josh Smith, Danny Granger, just to name a few more.

Oh, and CLYDE DREXLER.

1 person likes this.