1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FOX26]Not an ONION article: U.S. soccer bans heading in youth soccer

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by SwoLy-D, Nov 13, 2015.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

lol

US regularly defeats Mexico in soccer, and soccer is the US' 5th or 6th most popular sport, and only gets reject athletes that can't play other sports. Meanwhile soccer is easily Mexico's most popular sport.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

If you're going to defend US Soccer, you've got to stop spreading this false crap. It's simply not true. Just one example...Tim Howard was a high school basketball star in NJ that chose soccer. Many many of the players I grew up playing with were simply great athletes that chose soccer. I played football, basketball, and baseball...but I chose soccer.

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

come on. It's obviously true. If you're a good football, basketball, baseball or even hockey player, you play those sports. Soccer just doesn't have the pull.

An example: I grew up playing youth soccer, and our best player by far was also a very good baseball player. He went on to play college and then professional baseball.

The US is stuck trying to go after players of hispanic origin (because soccer is more popular in those communities), suburban white kids who aren't that good at baskeball/football/baseball and immigrants or foreigners who have an American parent (many times US military like some of our German born players). Just look at the roster of our national team for proof.

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

That's no excuse when the USA has 300 million people. The USA has an unfair advantage compared to other countries due to its population alone. USA has 3x as many people as mexico. Furthermore, how many of those Mexican people are below the poverty line and can't even afford to play sports. In the USA everyone can play organized sports if they wanted to.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

So your one example is this one guy when you were 10? That's almost as bad as PhiSlammaJamma's "I was a 6th grade badass."

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:grin: I stopped reading there.