1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FOX26] Europe May Become Option for Carl Landry

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Possum

Possum Member

You are living in a dream world! Francis even if healthy will never be a valuable member of the rotation. The only way he plays at all is if there are alot of injuries. He'll be gone at the trade deadline. That is all the value he has, an expiring contract.

2. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

Uhh is this a joke? If so, please indicate that it is or people will think this is your actual mindset. I really hope that it is not.

3. Man

Man Contributing Member

I think Landry would only want to play in the NBA...seems like the agent is trying to use this "europe option" as leverage.

I hope Landry will be back with the Rockets next season. He, Landry, Hayes, and now Dorsey would be great at the 4 spot. However, I think we'd be okay without him.

Does he still have hip injury issues?

4. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Emeka Okafor --- some advice...go to Europe...same goes to Ben Gordon, Josh Smith, and all other FAs.

Lets make the Euros shell out their house for our players

5. Mac#5

Mac#5 Member

the nba should do something about international teams offering restricted players big bucks like their unrestricted because if they dont stop it now it can get out of hand

6. Mac#5

Mac#5 Member

i think your wrong i remember steve doing good in some of the games he got big minutes like the warriors or suns games... his stats might not reflect a good season but he would be a valuable rotation player

7. wingz0

wingz0 Member

LOL.

This article really made me laugh my ass off.

Is there a more clueless agent than Buddy Baker. First, he has no concept of logic. Your client's knees have a history of problems. And your client has shown himself incapable of performing up to MLE level once those problems arised. Tell me, what teams are gonna give him 4/5 million per without a thorough check on his knee by team doctors? It's a simple check. MRI or arthroscopic. If you're so sure that your client's knees are fine, just get the damn thing checked and it will drive his value up.

Second, the whole thing just screams of amateurism. I bet you Buddy Baker has not given a single thought of sending Landry overseas until all the Nachbar and Childress stuff came up. Then he decides to hop on the bandwagon and use it to his leverage by saying, hey, you don't wanna give Landry the money, well I can send him to Europe! It's obvious that he's just going with the flow.

Third, if so many teams are interested in Landry, why hasn't there been an offer sheet? Why has nobody even signed him to 3 or 3.5 million per? Which again brings me back to the first point. No team will sign an undersized 2nd year power forward with bad knees and who relies on athleticism to produce, without first-hand certification that his knees are okay.

Get a new agent Landry. I'm sure someone on the Rockets can hook you up with someone good. At this point, everything is coming out of Buddy's mouth. I don't think Landry has much say in this either. Most likely, Buddy told him to leave it in his hands and he'll get him a pay raise.

8. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Quit bluffing Buddy! You're watching to many Texas Hold'em on ESPN! We all know that is a bluff.

9. hollywoodo

hollywoodo Member

landry was good, but scola is great. landry can dunk, scola can do everything else. if we lose landry, its okay, because all dorsey can do is dunk.

so if landry wants to go, then don't let the bench hit him on the way out.

10. Dream lover

Dream lover Member

Yeah, I agree. If Landry has all this interest from other teams in the NBA and overseas why isn't there an offer sheet. The free agent signing period has long started and we haven't heard anything other than a rumor here or there. Somehow when Childress went overseas, I knew Buddy would say something about Landry playing overseas too. He's such a joke. He's destroying Landry's career before it even gets started. Morey is a business man, they don't call him Moneyball for nothing, he'll let Landry walk before giving in to this junk.

11. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

He's not a bad player and he's been consistent for 4 years. He's a known commodity. Landry on the other hand is somewhat of an enigma, especially post knee injury.

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

People in this thread whose posts spread misinformation/don't make any sense: v3.0, leebigez, Agentzero.

Anyway, this is very transparent posturing on behalf of Landry's agent. I think Morey is doing exactly the right thing. There is not much of a market for Landry in Europe.

13. ambrose86

ambrose86 Rookie

We wouldn't care.

mainly because there isn't any free agents out there that we really like. Our roster is pretty much set. We didn't lose any key players from last year's squad and except for the backup swing position, we are all set even without landry.

14. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Landry's game lacks of European spices - ball handling, passing & shootings. I doubt Landry will get a call from Europe.

If it's that easy to go Europe, Mike Harris shall go to Europe too instead of trying to make a minimum contract in NBA.

So, let's say this to Buddy Baker: "Yawn! Wake me up when u get an offer for Landry from whoever."

15. jajayao

jajayao Member

I hope Landry is dumb enough to go to Europe. He'll pull a Vspan on them, and be running back next year. Atleast we'll get to see a year of how his knee is, and he'll gain some experience banging against some softies in euroland. In the end, he has to face Morey if he wants to play with the big boys.

16. dragonz

dragonz Member

bluffing like there is no tomorrow, baby. world series of poker at its best!

17. Seth

Seth Member

I have quite the same view, go there, we keep your rights, we all know what he can do in the NBA as he is, if he improves we can give him his big payday, if not go break your knee some other place.

We don´t really need him right now to be more than a backup and as i feel he is important, he is nowhere important to be a risk for Rockets economy.

I wouldn´t mind him having a 2 year offer there in Europe with an option to return to the NBA after the first year.

A situation like that would be almost a win win situation for us.

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I agree with you.

19. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

if he goes I hope he breaks his knee in half. Thanks and bye

20. wingz0

wingz0 Member

I agree with this.

While I don't doubt that Buddy is genuinely trying to get the most he can for his client, which is good, I do question whether he has any ulterior motives.

In the end it's all there for everyone to see. Landry is Buddy's first NBA client. And so far his moves have been hard and aggressive. He's making noise. It's hard not to think that Buddy is trying to make a scene out of it to boost his media profile.

This is pure speculation, but at the end of the day, I'm sure Buddy is using Landry as much as helping him - to raise own his stock among NBA agents.

There's nothing wrong with that. Though as it is, I think Buddy has gone overboard playing his cards and it's hurting Landry's career. He's missed one summer league. The status of his knee is in doubt, and he's basically unemployed.

Landry, the smart thing to do is to either get Buddy to shut up and stop being unreasonable, or fire him and get a real agent.

I've said this many times and I'll say it again. I think if Landry's knee checks out okay, Morey will go for a 3 year deal in the 10 million range, with maybe a 4th year team option. And for Landry, this is as good a deal as it gets for his value.