1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FOX26] Europe May Become Option for Carl Landry

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Baker's just doing his job. So is Morey. And to be honest, taking off my Rockets hat for a minute, I think it's great that the Euro leagues are creating some genuine competition. They're threatening the NBA monopoly.

Now, putting my Rockets hat back on: If you think Houston's a long way from home, Carl, you're gonna love the flight to Athens.

2. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

At this point, I don't care if Carl comes back or not, but if he's going to he better do it soon so our MLE isn't tied up for nothing.

3. Breaker

Breaker Member

Excellent idea!

Get two wash-up, old, has-been to replace our young, athletic PF.

Your logic is amaaaazing.

Not to mention the thought about bringing back Juwan "the curse" Howard. How come Morey never thought of this????

4. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

what has childress done in the NBA? and he's getting $7 mil a year in Europe (biggest contract ever over there)

i'm sure landry can pull $5 mil with ease in europe. he just wants money and now we all know it's all a business.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I agree about the competition. What I wonder about is how much Euro-ball money is really out there. There is no salary cap in Europe, but there has got to be a natural economic limit somewhere.

6. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I think it was a satire. At least I hope.

7. sabesque

sabesque Member

It's a win win. Landry should go for the most money. Afterall, it's his career.

For us, it's clear that he's not motivated by a desire to compete at the highest level. And who know what will become of a second year player with bad knees who is highly motivated by money.

8. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I think what he is saying is that if Landry goes to Europe, we can't use the MLE elsewhere.

Because if we do, then all a team needs to do is offer Landry $1 more than we have remaining in the MLE, and we've lost him. Hence he effectively ties up the MLE forever.

The qualifying offer is in no way related to the MLE.

The thing I find most interesting about the whole saga is that nobody else is willing to pay Landry what his agent thinks he is worth.
    Clearly the agent is seeking the full MLE, and if someone was willing to pay it, they may well have signed him to an offer sheet by now. They haven't - which might infer that there is some fear the Rockets wouldn't match a full, and they'd be left with an overpaid Landry...

9. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

I truly appreciated Carl's impact on our team last year, but I do agree that even if he may be worth diving into our MLE , dragging this situation out impedes our ability to sign other FA's.

Btw, how much cap space does the MLE allot? Isn't it about $5 million?

10. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Whats would be worst is if Carl and the Rockets let this drag on even longer and Carl ends up going to Europe at the last time. By that time, all the good free agents would be gone. We'd lose twice. :mad:

11. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

At this point I feel like Landry is certainly coming back. I know it's early and there is plenty of time for other teams to start making offers but I just don't see him leaving. He won't get an offer that is more than Houston is willing to match.

Morey is laughing right now as Buddy throws everything he can think of against the wall to see if it sticks.

I'm more concerned about those knees and the fact that this second year PF is not playing in the summer league. I hope he is doing something to add to his game.

12. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

I feel the same way. If this goes on for another few days, just **** him and go sign anyone else we still have the full MLE.

13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Call his agent's bluff. Let Landry sign an offer sheet whether it be in the NBA or overseas.

1. We'll match any offer sheet he gets from an NBA team
    2. We let him and his career walk into international abyss overseas

Yes, if he did go overseas we would have lost him for nothing but, at this stage, I would rather lose him for nothing than to sign him to $5+ mill a year hoping that his knees would hold up.

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The MLE for this season is 5.8 M.

15. frankxuahu

frankxuahu Member

Maybe carl should really go to europe, where he can make more money.
    and Moscow gave Scoal an offer, worth 3 times of his current salary in Houston. Money can always buy people's heart.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Landry's not going to Europe. A European team is NOT going to give a second year player with a history of injuries, and no history a double figure, two year deal. I think his agent is just doing his job and if you asked Landry if he would play in Europe he would look at you like you were stupid.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I totally get the problem with the MLE re Landry that the Rocks have gotten themselves into (thanks for clearing that up), but wouldn't his Euro contract have to have an opt-out clause for that contract to keep messing with our MLE, should we want to continue to attempt to resign him?

18. Verbatim

Verbatim Member

I think every one here is missing a big point.

The Rockets have what 16 players signed or about to be signed. I don't see the Rockets "stealing" Raw Lewis with a B-day to let him walk, they will sign him. Donte is signed. Deke will like sign (as soon as they settle the MLE) So that make for over 15 (max limit) the Rockets can even carried (before signing Landry, who Rockets will sign if their is an offer to match - DM's words).

The MLE WILL not be used on anyone other than Landry, Dorsey and maybe Deke. Outside chance on Lumen, real outside.

I am betting that if Landry holds out, the Rockets will keep the MLE ready to match, and no-one else.

Yes, DM mention small trades but that will make room for the 16 now, not to sign another FA. It's not like the Rockets have crap now. Rockets will need a C type if Deke does not sign so his spot is either his or another C.

I see a Steve N trade for a 2nd rounder like the rest of you (too bad) but it's a numbers game and Novac is coming up snake eyes.

Now if we can trade Head for a 1st rounder that would be great :)

Steve Fransis will not be traded. He is too much of a draw and if the news about him coming back strong is correct, will be a valuable member of the rotation.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If it is, I haven't seen evidence of it. The guy makes a habit of making posts like that, so either he is an idiot (with all respect due the guy), or I simply don't "get" his humor.

20. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

Come on, did you want Jennings to take the SAT a couple more times to see if he could get in?

The guy couldn't qualify academically to get in - tough luck. That has nothing to do with Landry.