1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FOX26] Europe May Become Option for Carl Landry

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Don't let the doorknob hit you on the way out, Carl.

2. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Landry is not above the team ...if his agent thinks he can get better offers in Europe for a 2nd year player coming off an injured rookie campaign, then so be it. Just pisses me off that this dance continues.

3. hooroo

hooroo Member

Less games over there might actually benefit Landry's knees. A season or two of euroball could help extend his NBA playing days.

4. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

The tandem of Carl Landry and Buddy Baker are like a barking dog with no bite. Where are the offers and serious interest they speak of?

His threats of Europe don't scare me. Go right ahead but hurry up please so we can move on. The Houston Rockets will survive ... plenty of fish in the sea.

5. TheyCallmeExMan

6. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

whoa, landry's agent is getting desperate! there's no way: a.) that landry would earn more in europe. b.) that landry would be the same player in europe.

this tells me that landry's worth is much, much lower than most people here think. give him a 4 year / 10 mio $ deal and everything's fine. :D

7. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

the european game under the basket is a lot more physical than in the nba.

8. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Childress is a proven role player in the NBA, Landry played well last season. I don't doubt that a euro team would want him but i do doubt that they would make an offer to him more lucrative than what Morey's willing to offer.

9. tofu--

tofu-- Member

If Carl buys his agent's BS any more (which I'm surprised he's still doing), then yeah, I'm going to have the same attitude towards Landry. I loved watching him play last year but if it's going to turn out like this then good riddance.

10. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I think its real about landry going overseas. He can get about 3m post tax , play 35 games for 2 yrs and come back as a free agent during 2010 and get a Marc Jackson full mle deal at the age of 27. If u were Landry and his agent, what would u do?

As a business man, I know what I would do. Basically landry could get 12m for less than 80 games in Europe.

11. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Yes, they don't call as many fouls but that doesn't have much to do with his knees. Less games means less jumping and running which is bad on the knees.

12. JD2010

JD2010 Member

Landry can GTFO.
    I've lost respect for this dude.
    Just because Yao goes down and he gets lucky to even get in the rotation does not mean he deserves big money.

13. solid

solid Contributing Member

The thing that concerns me is that the pre "knee bump" Landry was a beast, but the post "knee bump" Landry was a shell of his former self. And he never came back to form. That is a serious concern, and I think the Rockets are right for demanding a thorough medical evaluation. The Rockets can't sustain another hobbled player. They say the Rockets are soft, but I say they are made of glass.

14. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

There may be less games, but if I'm not mistaken practice/training are more rigorous than in the NBA. I thought Scola at training camp mentioned the difference.

15. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

:rolleyes:

16. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Who cares? We still own his rights if he goes. He can go for a year, few years -- whenever he wants to play in the big league though, he'll still have to come back to us. Rockets can then maybe throw the MLE at another FA target (JR Smith)..

17. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

Don't confuse Landry's attitude with Buddy Baker's. Baker is full of ****, Carl will re-sign with the Rox, but it may be October before this happens.

Keep in mind that negotiations were VERY difficult last year with Carl's agent, but none of us paid much attention because, well, he wasn't the Tooth back then. :)

18. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

You must not be familiar with the term "Euro-soft."

19. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Can't fault a guy for trying to get the most money he can earn. I understand the hate, but really the career span of most athletes is pretty small. All it takes is one big injury on a contract season and you're through. That could have happened last year, so I can't fault him for negotiating for more money. It's a lifetime investment for him.

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Really? We still own his rights even if he's a restricted free agent?