1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fox Sports 1

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MadMax, Mar 6, 2013.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I suppose this could go in multiple threads...feel free to move if it belongs elsewhere:

http://www.chron.com/sports/article/New-Fox-sports-network-to-debut-in-August-4329999.php

New Fox sports network to debut in August

NEW YORK (AP) — Fox proved television was ready for a fourth major network, and Fox News took on CNN.

The company wants to remind everyone of its record as it challenges ESPN with Fox Sports 1, a 24-hour sports cable network set to launch Aug. 17.

"We're coming in trying to take on the establishment," Fox Sports executive vice president Bill Wanger said Tuesday in announcing the venture. "It's no different than Fox News or Fox Broadcasting back in the '80s. We're going to have to scratch and claw our way all the way to the top."

To do that, Fox executives are confident they have enough live events, with rights to college basketball and football, NASCAR, soccer and UFC fights. In its first year, the new network will broadcast nearly 5,000 hours of live competition and news.

Fox owns the rights to many Big 12, Pac-12 and Conference USA basketball and football games. Its soccer deals include UEFA Champions League and the men's and women's World Cups from 2015-22.

Starting in 2014, FS1 will start broadcasting Major League Baseball games, including part of the postseason. It will show some NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races as early as 2015, with other NASCAR events on the air from the start.

"We believe we've amassed enough live events and can package and put programming around it where we can have scale," Fox Sports co-President Randy Freer said. "We can have significance. We can be a major player in the market."

However, unlike ESPN's lineup, there's no NBA, no SEC football, no ACC basketball and, the biggest problem of all, no NFL games. On that last point, Wanger was quick to add: "Yet."

Still to be determined is whether the NFL sells some Thursday night games separately from its NFL Network package. If it does, everyone will try to buy a piece of the action.

That will be the case for any rights deals that come along soon; there aren't many, with long-term pacts now the norm. NBC and CBS already have their own cable sports networks, and Turner is also a factor. Fox Sports co-President Eric Shanks mentioned the NBA, Big Ten and U.S. Open tennis as appealing properties whose contracts expire in the next several years.

FS1 has two main challenges, he said. One is producing enough alluring live events to draw viewers, and he thinks the network is already in good shape to do that. The other is inertia: Fans accustomed to tuning to ESPN must be persuaded to switch to a different network.

"People need to over time feel like there's a channel number in their head that they can go to as an alternative to one of the more powerful sports channels out there," he said.

Will they watch nightly highlights on something other than "SportsCenter"? FS1 will try to find out with its own news show, which will look more like Fox's NFL pregame coverage than ESPN's cornerstone program.

"We like our position," ESPN spokesman Josh Krulewitz said. "We have always had vigorous competition so there is really nothing substantially new here. Others are, however, beginning to recognize what we have long known: The power of live sports, especially in light of technological advances, is substantial and brings tremendous value in today's entertainment landscape."

ESPN has eight cable networks that combine for almost 30,000 hours of live coverage.

FS1 will be converted from Speed, a motorsports network, and will be available in 90 million homes, compared with 98 million for ESPN and ESPN2.

And in what might seem odd for a company known for drawing a young audience, Regis Philbin will host a weekday sports talk show for the new network. The 81-year-old Philbin jokingly pretended to be hard of hearing when questions came up about this at the news conference.

Wanger noted that "Live! With Regis and Kelly" did well in younger demographics before Philbin left that show in late 2011.

"Regis has appeal from young to old," Wanger said. "That's why we want him."

Fox plans to use its "double box" format for showing commercials during live action for sports events. Kicking off the coverage on Aug. 17 will be a NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race from Michigan and a UFC event in prime time.

Fox executives had talked about potentially launching a sports network for years. As DVRs made live events even more valuable, the timing was right once the company was able to line up enough broadcast rights. And not having a cable sports partner could have hurt the main Fox network in negotiations, Freer said. Fox has used cable channel FX in the past to show some sports.

The network wasn't ready to announce a deal with the new basketball conference formed by breakaway Big East schools, but Fox's executives were happy to talk up the ratings draw the league will provide. Freer called it an "iconic basketball brand" that will immediately be one of the top hoops conferences in the country.

"They're very historic, high-profile teams. The Georgetowns of the world and so on, St. John's, Villanova etc.," Wanger said. "It would be a coup if that deal did happen."

Fox is airing the 2014 Super Bowl in the New York area, a valuable opportunity to promote the new network. Its 22 regional channels also will offer regular chances to direct viewers to FS1.

A report by RBC Capital Markets analyst David Bank says that while FS1 may not match ESPN right away, it can thrive without doing so. Banks writes that a "modestly successful" venture would more than quadruple Fox's monthly subscriber fees from what Speed received, and increase ad revenue from $90 million to $460 million.

"It's going to take us a while, and we're aware of this fact," Fox Sports Chairman David Hill said. "We're not expecting to knock ESPN off in the first week or two. ... It's going to be a solid slog."

2. Indaface

Indaface Member

I'm excited about this, anything to take away from the Monopoly of sports that ESPN seems to have.

I can't handle watching ESPN if I see something for one of the Houston teams I just DVR the show and just fast forward to the topic about the Texans/Rockets.

Too many blowhards and too much NY/LA circle jerk on that network.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

ESPN needs some competition, no doubt. But Fox Sports has always been pretty awful.

That show with Max Kellerman. Dan Patrick's show. And Jesus Christ their NFL pregame show is unbearable. I can't stand Terry Bradshaw.

But yeah I wish them luck. Only things I watch on ESPN nowadays is PTI (which I sometimes hate, but for some reason watch anyway) and SportsCenter.

4. MadMax

I LOVE Max Kellerman. If he has an expanded role on this channel, that alone will be enough for me. The guy is just a fan, and it comes off so clearly.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

But that show with Michael Holley was pretty awful, no? Otherwise he's ok.

I'm just saying that Fox typically doesn't do well in sports coverage.

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

ESPN
    NBC Sports Net
    CBS Sports
    and now
    Fox Sports 1

So the competition is heating up. It'll be fine though, how ESPN managed to monopolize this for so long I'll never know. Canada for example, a country that is 10% of the USA has 3 national sports channels (TSN/TSN2, Rogers Sportsnet, and TheScore)

7. MadMax

I'm not familiar with the show, honestly. I first started watching Max through boxing...and he's a huge fight fan. I think he's smart, but more important, he is having a blast doing his job and it shows. I find that relateable.

8. MadMax

Sounds like what Fox Sports 1 is more on par with ESPN than the others in that list.....at least in terms of the base they have to work with and what they want to accomplish.

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

There is only ONE thing that matters with regards to these sports channels -- "Live Sports" coverage from the biggest sports properties.

ESPN has them clobbered in this aspect and unless that changes, then the needle won't be moved all that much.

I like ESPN, but competition is good so good luck to Fox Sports One.

10. So Good

So Good Member

This.

NBCSN is getting destroyed because they can't get anything on its network. After football season, that network has NOTHING..well they have the NHL :rolleyes:

ESPN has MNF, college football (including the BCS for 12 years), college basketball, NBA games, MLB games (key Sunday Night games and playoff games) and NASCAR.

Fox needs to chip away and start grabbing. Give them credit though...Fox does have a lot more than NBC/CBS. They have a starting point with NFL, college football, MLB and NASCAR.

A lot of people may hate SportsCenter but you have to admit they do a great job covering the "big" stories. They have reporters EVERYwhere. Some of their management decisions boggle my mind but they've created a $40 billion network!

11. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Pretty excited about this firing up tomorrow.

12. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

I see this channel as the first real threat to ESPNs complete dominance. Do I think they will ever pick up the lions share of viewers? Doubtful, but they could chip away and eventually make it work.

They will have NFL coverage, no actually games yet but plenty of coverage, MLB games, college football and basketball, NASCAR and plenty of live UFC fights (really looking forward to the card on Saturday night). Loosing Premier League hurts but I believe they will have UEFA and Champions League soccer which is great. I know Fox Soccer showed tons of Italian League not sure if FOXS1 will carry that. That is a good start, I can see them getting the rights to some live NBA action sooner rather than later, maybe 1 game a week.

Solid line up for the first year of a new sports channel, hopefully if nothing else they make ESPN step their game up.

13. cardpire

cardpire Member

Mixed feelings as a NASCAR fan. I enjoyed the Speed Channel, and there will be some amount of NASCAR-related programming lost. Happy with everything else about the channel though.

Well, other than the Regis hiring. That's just embarrassing for them. I love Reg, but he knows nothing about sports.

14. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Is this gonna be on channel 600 for the 40 percenters? It's suppose to be replacing/rebranding Fuel tv I believe.

15. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

It should be replacing the spot where Speed TV is on your current channel list. If you didn't have Speed in the first place I don't know. Fuel is eventually turning into Fox Sports 2 and Fox Soccer is turning into FXX the new home of Always Sunny and the League among others.

16. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Yeah destroyed is not the right word and I don't think they can't get anything on it's network is correct. Keep in mind they outbid ESPN amongst others for the EPL and with that starting up tomorrow, they are in GREAT stead.
    They have no daily highlights show and that's a problem but with the NHL(nothing to roll eyes about except NBC not putting more games on the national network as opposed to NBCSN) and the relatively cheap deal they got the league for, as well as the MLS they have a good start. Fox Sports have it easier but NBC's current sports properties are nothing to sneeze at.

CBS Sports Network is a non factor.
    NBC Sports network is still a work in progress but is being a growing nuisance with regard to broadcast rights-to ESPN.

I think someone else mentioned already, It's ESPN and FS1 on one level and then probably NBCSN then CBSSN

17. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

It's time for a LOCAL AFFILIATE or a FREE (Non-cable) Sports Network. :eek:

I don't care if it only has cricket or golf, make a 24-hour free channel! :mad: It can't be THAT expensive. Advertisers would JUMP on that.

18. MykTek

MykTek Member

not too excited about it because I actually watched the Speed Channel...
    I'm gonna miss all the F1/MotoGP races and etc.

19. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

I already favorited Ch. 219 on Directv even though the channel hasn't been switched it.

20. codell

codell Contributing Member

I am going to miss Wind Tunnel and Trackside the most.