1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fox: Posey will sign offer sheet tomorrow, Rockets offer at 2.5 million.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NIKEstrad, Jul 22, 2003.

1. blaqnitti

blaqnitti Member

Folks, lets understand that the 2.5 mil. offer was just a "qualifying" offer, not a final offer. That is the offer you have to make to state your intention of retaining a restricted free agents rights. I am still confident that in the end Posey will still be a Rocket. (Unless some team offers him ridiculous money beyond his value......[see Cavs and K.Ollie]).

2. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Are you freaking kidding me??? :eek:

Mobley is a bargain!! He took LESS money to play in Houston (over Toronto) and as I recall its in the 4-5 mil. range. Hardly a bad contract.

Moochie, Cato, Taylor, and Rice are our bad contracts.

3. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

with Mike Miller and Mike Dickerson, I hope he can find enough playing time. His best bet would have been to stay with Houston to be the starter. But as they say "Money Talks".

4. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

I personally would love a sign and trade for Battier. He is the ultimate team player and the ideal role player to go along with SF and Yao. If we can't work that then at least match if Posey signs the offer sheet(if its for the MCE or less).

5. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Thank you. I'm tired of folks blasting the Rox for "lowballing." It's just part of the process. The Rox knew he would shop around and knew they had his Bird rights.

As Posey said himself, "He wants to stay in Houston but it is just business."

Think of it this way, how else do you know Posey's true "value" if you don't go through this process?

The Rox probably told Posey himself that he should shop around.

6. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I have a feeling that resigning James Posey has always been a top priority. Les Alexander wants to put a winning team on the floor, and JP is a guy that he's always coveted. Revenue will be WAY up next year due to the new arena, huge increase in merchandise sales, as well as Yao-mania. No reason why the Rockets can't pay a little luxury tax.

The thing that gets me is that it's not like Posey is making ridiculous contract demands. He's simply asking for what he's worth, and not a penny more. I don't blame the guy for signing an offer sheet with Memphis - he just wants to earn market value, right? Also, he doesn't have a difficult agent like Dan Fegan or David Falk, so negotiations should be very fair.

7. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wow, I didn't make that connection. he QO for Posey was 2.499 iirc, so that would make perfect sense that that was where Berman was pulling the "2.5 million" number from. Which brings us back to the fact that we have no idea what the Rockets were offering, except that it was less than what Memphis offered (which we will learn probably sometime today).

Baqui- Posey's agent is Mark Bartelstein. Bartelstein may not be on the level of uber-agents Fegan and Falk, but he's a pretty big name agent.

Edit: It looks like Bartelstein may get Brad Miller a 7 yr/$70M contract. Hopefully that's the only big deal he pulls off.

#27 NIKEstrad, Jul 23, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2003
  8. rockergordon

rockergordon Member

I'm sure Posey would rather play for the Rockets and Start over being on the bench and playing with loser's losers. But you can't blame him for trying to get a little more money. He's thinking about security for the rest of his life and ****T. I wish I was in his situation.

9. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

A sign and trade is not doable between the Rockets and Grizz. If a team matches another teams offer, that team that offered the contract can't have that player traded to them until a year after the offer sheet was signed. Remember Marc Jackson. Even though that was an injury exception, it is still the same thing when dealing with restricted free agents.

10. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

Has Posey actually signed the offersheet yet, or just agreed on it?

11. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

A sign and trade is doable until Posey actually signs the Memphis offer sheet. I know he was suppose to sign it sometimes today but I have not heard if he has signed it yet. I just don't see a sing and trade happening though, it just makes no sense.

12. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

Stevierebel- No one has disputed that. A sign and trade is being hypothesized because Posey hasn't signed the offer sheet yet.

One thing of interest that I just noticed-I think the years may be something of a concern, and this very well could be about the 4 years that Memhpis offered.

The final year (4th year) would also be the first year of Yao Ming's presumed max contract. We'd also have Steve on the books for nearly 14 million, and Mo Taylor's final year of his deal for a whopping 9.75 million. That would also be TLD's last year of his deal (though some reports say it may not be entirely guaranteed) and that would be for about 4.3 million.

That's very likely 35 million (assume ~11 mill for Yao, which may be underestimating the NBA max salary at the time) for Steve, Yao, Moochie, and Taylor. This does not include Griffin, who would be under a new contract by that time, Mobley, who will probably expect to be rewarded after taking less, or Nachbar who will be a free agent that season. Cato will also be a free agent.

I don't think this is as much about luxury tax now, as it is 4 years down the line. That'd be over 40 million tied up in 5 players- Steve, Yao, Moochie, Taylor, and Posey. Not to mention probably 3 first round rookie contracts we're likely to pick up on the way.

Of course, that could be entirely remedied by trading Taylor for a similar contract with a year less on it. Or perhaps a package of Rice and Taylor for 2 similarly large deals that end in the next 2-3 years, and using Rice's instant relief as the bait for such deal

13. Likemike33

Likemike33 Member

This is jerry west strategy. I remember a year ago, he signed Earl watson and the sonics were kind of high on him but they couldn't sign him because of the luxuray tax so there only was to sign and trade which the sonics weren't interested and this is the same situation, the grizzlies have 2 -3 quality player in that position but i guess since they know that the rockets want to sign posey but rockets will be over the salary cap memphis will ask sign and trade for glen rice expiring contract, which will benifit the grizzlies. Rockets needs to make some adjustment quickly.

14. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Huh? The Rockets would be trading Posey to Memphis in a S&T, not the other way around.

15. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I have a question, if we were to match the Grizz's offer to Posey (let's assume it's for the full 4.9mil), will we still have the MLE available to us, to sign guys like JJax or Pike?

16. land_sharks

land_sharks Member

yes, we still have the MLE.

17. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

610 is reporting that a memphis paper is saying that the contract is 4 years - 13-15 million (about 3.2 per season).

If that is the case, would you match?

18. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

If it starts at $3.2M, with max raises (10% from Memphis) the contract would be 4 years, 14.72 million.

I'd hope we match that...that's well under what a starting player in this league makes, and Posey is certainly a starter.

I'd be (happily)surprised though if Memphis' offer starts below 4 million. 610 is just repeating the Memphis paper's conjecture, so we'll see.

19. B

B Contributing Member

My response would be why the heck wouldn't you match that? That is extremely reasonable for what Posey can bring to the team.

B

20. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

This was posted by Pat in another thread but only a couple of people seemed to notice. So here goes.

http://www.gomemphis.com/mca/grizzl...2128741,00.html

Grizzlies pick free agent Posey
    Added: 23rd July, 2003 8:03 AM ET

It is believed that the Griz offered Posey more than half ($3-$3.2 million for the first year) of their $4.9 million midlevel exception.

The Rockets made Posey a qualifying offer starting at $2.445 million.

I see no reason whe we can't get Posey and Pike now. Would we all feel a lot better about CD if we get both?