1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Fox News] MLB Chief Might Reinstate Aaron as Home Run King, Suspend Rodriguez

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Rockets34Legend, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,491644,00.html

Is baseball's steroid scandal about to make Hank Aaron the once and future home run king?

Major League Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig reportedly is considering restoring the crown to Aaron, who lost it in 2007 to Barry Bonds.

Bonds is set to go on trial on March 2 on obstruction of justice charges related a federal investigation into the BALCO steroid scandal.

Bonds' trainer was indicted on charges he supplied steroids and other performance-enhancement drugs to baseball players through BALCO, leading to speculation that Bonds also had used steroids, allegations he denies.

"This is breaking my heart, I don't mind telling you that," Selig told USA Today in an interview published Thursday, disclosing that he is considering removing Bonds from the top of the home run list.

Selig has reportedly also been considering suspending New York Yankees All-Star third-baseman Alex Rodriguez, who admitted Monday night in an interview with ESPN that he had used steroids from 2001-2003 while a member of the Texas Rangers.

Sports Illustrated first reported that sources confirmed Rodriguez had tested positive in 2003.

Bonds broke Aaron's record of 755 home runs on Aug. 7, 2007, while playing for the San Francisco Giants.

Rodriguez, 33, reached the 500 home run plateau faster than any player in history, and is given the best chance to break Bonds' record. Rodriguez currently has 553 home runs.

Bonds and Rodriguez are the latest baseball greats to fall from grace because of performance-enhancing drugs.

On Wednesday, news emerged that All-Star shortstop Miguel Tejada might be deported to the Dominican Republic after pleading guilty to lying to Congress about using steroids.

Selig told USA Today he knows that the players union will challenge attempts to suspend Rodriguez, who admitted using steroids in 2003 when he was with the Texas Rangers. The testing policy's penalty phase wasn't instituted until 2004.

But the commissioner said he sent a memo banning the drugs in 1997 and reminded players and coaches that they were illegal without a prescription.

"It was against the law, so I would have to think about that," Selig told USA Today. "It's very hard. I've got to think about all that kind of stuff."

But on Thursday, Selig issued a statement in which he seemed to back away from the possibility of suspending Rodriguez.

"I am saddened by the revelations," Selig said. "What Alex did was wrong, and he will have to live with the damage he has done to his name and reputation."

He added that Rodriguez has "shamed the game."

Rodriguez would be the first player suspended who didn't test positive during the penalty timeline.

Tejada appeared Wednesday before a federal magistrate and said he lied to congressional investigators who asked about steroid use by major league ballplayers. He also acknowledged purchasing the drugs while playing with the Oakland Athletics.

"His guilty plea in this case may subject him to detention, deportation and other sanctions at the direction of the United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement," said a letter outlining Tejada's plea deal.

The misdemeanor charge of making misrepresentations to Congress can lead to as much as a year in jail. But federal guidelines call for a lighter sentence. Tejada is scheduled to be sentenced March 25, during spring training.

2. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

Maybe he should step down instead for allowing all this to happen on his watch.

3. TheBigAristotle

I think it's bs that A-Rod is the only one getting crucified over this though. Whoever leaked the list, leak the rest of it, there's no point in it being secret anymore - lol.

4. TheBigAristotle

Exactly. Selig is completely incompetent as the head of baseball. Do owners really like the guy that much to keep voting him in?

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Fire yourself while you're at it Bud.

6. zantabak1111

zantabak1111 Member

can you say lawsuit from the Bonds Estate?

7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

MLB is a joke. I used to be a big fan of the game and it hasn't been the same since the strike.

So they're contemplating on suspeding Rodriguez for testing positive FIVE YEARS AGO? It's ironic how Selig/MLB anointed A-Rod the heir to the throne and now they're ready to throw him under the bus just to show America they "mean business". Please, if you're gonna suspend A-Rod NOW, you might as well suspend the other 103 players that tested positive in 2003. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Has there been a worse commissioner in ANY sport? That one year where he suspended play at the All-Star game with that dumbass-hands-in-the-air look pretty much sums up how he's been doing as commish in a nutshell

9. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Bud Selig should die in a fire.

10. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Strip Bonds.
    Suspend A-Rod.
    Deport Tejada.
    Fire yourself.

11. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

I cannot believe I grew up loving the game of baseball. Not only is it unwatchable now, it's the single most annoying thing in all of sports to me. It is officially below hockey...

Congratulations.

12. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

I was never a big baseball fan, but all this steroid stuff has really turned me away from the game completely. It's a complete joke of a sport now.

13. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Hasn't MLB known about the positive AROD test for 5 years? And now that it's become public, they're going to suspend him? That's BS. What about Pettitte and Giambi? What about everybody else who tested positive but hasn't been outed in public yet? Suspend them all or suspend no one. You know if AROD hadn't been outed, there's no way in hell Selig is talking about suspending him. What a douche. He was content to sit on his ass, praying it all blew over until it became public knowledge that AROD roided up and he's only willing to take action because it's public. Way to be proactive about the steroids debacle, Bud.

14. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

At most put an asterisk next to Bond's records and anyone else who used during the era.

And if you're gonna suspend Rodriguez, then you need to suspend everyone that used.

And of course, Selig needs to step down...if he truly feels like he needs to hold those responsible for this mess, he needs to look no further than himself.

15. RocketJedi

RocketJedi Member

Restore Maris' 61 as well.

16. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Of course they do. Selig used to own the Milwaukee Brewers. Making the owner of an MLB team the commissioner of baseball is like making John Dillinger the head of your bank. Pathetic...always was, and always will be.

17. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's a close contest between him and Gary Bettman.

18. Jayou

Jayou Member

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$teroids made all the MLB owners very happy until they got caught and had to act all mad about it because it was an image thing.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Baseball is making more money than ever .. . i think
    or at least alot

Rocket River
    . . .as long as he putting $$$ in pockets. . .

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Exactly right....financially, the game has never been healthier. Revenues are nearly equivalent to NFL revenues, and that was unthinkable just a few years back.

The owners love him for that. I'm not a fan. And I think it's ridiculous to keep talking about wanting to move on while suspending guys for things they did in 2003. It's going to hurt the Yankees (not that it hurts my feelings any) for what this guy did as a Ranger.