1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fox News Host Wants South Park Investigated for Blasphemy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Sep 18, 2012.

1. ILoveTheRockets

I bet you money, you make a short film right now of non religious white guy throwing bacon at a non religious arab, and then put it out there in the Muslim world for people to actually watch. They would blow their lids.

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nope, no way.

If you think otherwise then why don't you make such a video and prove it.

3. dback816

dback816 Member

Can't I just be offended that he's an *******?

And why can't a comic just pick out one person/race without being racist? I mean, damn, he probably has limited time and isn't all that creative anyway, can't fit everybody into his skit :rolleyes:

4. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Poorly written, disjointed lazy story... Doesn't even go into detail of how they didn't show the prophet. They hid him in a mascot uniform.

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't be surprised if crazy Christians started getting jealous of the perceived concessions made for crazy Muslims.

Frankly I don't think a condemnation of any kind was necessary from the US government. IMO the root issues dictate that it probably would have been sufficient to communicate to the crazies that, unlike in their countries, a film released in America does not constitute tacit approval from the US government.

This would have clarified to them that the US government shouldn't take sides in a religious debate, and that the film maker is independent of them and is airing his individual views. They need to know that youtube allows videos of arabic stuff that is hugely insulting to races, ideologies, nations, etc. Frankly if there was a single Arabic speaker at FOX they would have a field day with some of the stuff on youtube.

There may be a serious problem now where Muslims will expect the US government to speak out, question the "insulter" and youtube to remove the videos when they think it's insulting. A dangerous precedent if you ask me, though I acknowledge that it's well-intentioned and that this has to be looked at in the context of a crisis: there are so many Americans in and around Islamic countries and things were/are getting out of hand. After the experience with Terry Jones and the soldiers attacked in Afghanistan, they had to make sure that there wasn't a repeat - losing Americans who have nothing to do with this debacle should be seen as unacceptable, no matter who's fault it is. It's simply not worth losing human lives over if there is anything you can do to temporarily quell the crazies.

If your family members were pro free speech, anti-hate speech and stationed in a dangerous place, I imagine you would also support reasonable measures to protect them.

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Charlie Hebdo is coming out with a new Mohammed cartoon. Very good. They are making a point.

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree - it is good as long as it's done not with hate but to make a solid point.

Eventually, these fanatics are going to get tired of attacking the embassy's every time something offensive comes out.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'd have no problem if Obama, Jay Carney, Hilary Clinton, or the Egyptian embassy released a statement condemning South Park for denigrating the religions of others, calling it vile and despicable, or even apologizing to the Pope and all offended believers, or anything else they want to say about it as official representatives of the United States of America. It's just a statement. It doesn't DO anything.

If they blocked distribution of South Park, attempted to prosecute the producers for the content of their speech, or otherwise actively impinged on their 1st amendment rights, then I'd have a problem. But, of course, then it would depart from an apples-to-apples comparison to the treatment of The Innocence of Muslims anyway, and you'd still have no point.

9. ILoveTheRockets

Actually it does do something. It violates oath of office, and disregards the first amendment as law if they did actually come out and publicly condemn them.

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I hope he's able to make his point without getting himself or anyone else hurt.

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is a very important question. If you are hateful to everyone does that mean that you actually aren't hateful?

Comics have frequently brought this up as a defense and I don't think it is clear at all. Further we do judge things in our society by different standards. Like it or not if someone makes a Holocaust joke them also making a joke about the Armenian Genocide isn't going to protect them from criticism.

I think with stuff like South Park context really matters. As I stated in the episode about Mormons while it mocked their beliefs it actually wasn't an all out attack on Mormons. The Super Super Friends episode wasn't an attack on religion but a statement of religious tolerance.

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I sometimes wonder if this is partly what drives extremist Christians hate of Muslims.
    This goes again to why I say that there is a victimization attitude prevalent in the Middle East. It shows that any slights made by someone in the West are somehow inseparable from the Western governments and part of an overall larger attack on Islam.

It is somewhat understandable coming from people who have little to no experience with democracy. If you grew up in an authoritarian state that limited free speech then the presumption would be that other states also had similar controls on free speech.
    As you say this may be a dangerous precedent. If I felt that my family was threatened I don't think I would call for a government ban on such speech but I would certainly speak out against speech that may inflame the situation.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

You're going to have to explain that one to me. How would it 'disregard' the first amendment or violate the oath of office? For your convenience, here's the text: