1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Fox/Marvel] Fantastic Four reboot

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by seclusion, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Remix

Remix Member

I like Miles Teller as an actor, but I just can't buy in to him being Mr Fantastic. It probably because he looks 18 even though he's 27 and his face doesn't scream alpha leader of a Superhero team to me.

2. PhiSlammaJamma

I thought the trailer was very good. It leads you into the movie theater. but the 4 have been miserably bad movies up to this point. And the torch is the only character people are generally drawn to out of these four. So they need him to shine. but I do think they made a decent trailer here. So let's see if they can bring the goods for other 2 hours.

3. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

4. hooroo

hooroo Member

Fox comic book movies always seem campier than the others.

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Wrong.

These cartoons were in the 1930's and 1940's.

Blackface in popular culture died out in the 1950's, when the NAACP started campeigning against it.

Fantastic Four was created in 1961 by the very forward thinking (for the time) Stan Lee and Jack Kirby.

6. dback816

dback816 Member

I love how you honestly think that having a black actor = cultural diversity.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

How in the world did you come up with that from my comment, jabroni? Giant Sized X-Men introduced a full lineup of popular non-American characters in 1975. Thus, X-Men had a great opportunity to capitalize on it, then half-assed it.

They got a handful somewhat right. Knightcrawler, Wolverine (somewhat, very weak) Apocalypse, Jubilee (weak), Psylocke (weak), Blink, Sunspot, Bishop... how is that not diverse, jabroni?

8. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

So as long as everyone is white, it's alright yeah?

9. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

I think it's kind of dumb to change Johnny Storm but not Sue Storm. Why not just change them both instead of shoehorning an adoption story into it? Or if you only want to change one character then change Reed Richards. The way they're going about it just makes it seem lazy.

10. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

While I agree with you (see first post) I'm warming up to the idea based off words from the director. He stated that we have yet to see one of these movies where it's a "mixed" family, and he comes from one himself. I also come from one, and maybe it's bias on my part but as I mentioned I'm starting to like the idea of it.

The bottom line is he wanted Jordan to be Torch, and they picked Mara because her chemistry with everyone else was great.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Are they suppose to be college student of teenagers in this film?

Rocket River

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Interesting teaser. I'll go see the flick, but like some of you, I was never a fan of the comics. Would have to be an improvement over the previous efforts. Perhaps it will surprise and turn out to be good.

13. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

I don't have a problem with the Jordan as Torch, but I've always felt that comic movies should follow the comic book. It's not about race. How many hispanic are playing comic book actors? I don't see any uproar.

Will Luke Cage, Black Panther, Storm, the Falcon etc be fair game for any actor to take?

14. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

This is such a silly school of thought, and I keep seeing it. You're comparing a very small minority (in this case 4 black characters) and ignoring that there's 100 white ones. You're completely missing the point. As for hispanic characters, I'm all for that as well. All colors of the spectrum should be represented. If it means changing some around so be it. I've come to accept that the MCU is not always going to vibe with what is going on in the comics, and a lot of the time there's good reasoning for it.

Not a single person is losing anything from Torch being black. Oh no you're taking one of "OUR" characters we should be able to take one of "YOURS". First off no one is taking anything, secondly that's the most subtle of racism.

If Torch being black completely ruins your childhood somehow, I'd love to hear how. I'm sure we all would.

#54 seclusion, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  15. marky :)

marky :) Member

I only watched the Fantastic Four movies for Jessica Alba. No Alba = no watching.

16. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

I'm not missing the point at all. I'm saying that if there is going to be changes to comic book lore, it should apply to all characters. I'm not the one keeping count on which race has more comic characters. Way to keep it racial though.

I never said it should happen. I said comic movies should keep to the comic books.

I guess I was not clear enough in my first sentence.

17. dback816

dback816 Member

You had a decent rant going, then you decided to ruin it all at the end by throwing down this threat instead of inviting actual discussion.

18. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I think perhaps you need to figure out what a threat is.

Forgive me, I don't mean to imply that you are racist. It was really a general statement in that regard. It is a racial topic, whether you want it to be or not.
    Again, I replied to you but that was really for everyone not just you.

If the movies were 100% accurate to the comics, the characters would end up looking even sillier than they already do smashed into reality. Not to mention the dialogue would be horrendous (go look at some of the older comics), things would be even more nonsensical than they currently are, and I could go on.

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Wasn't Bane a Mexican?

I totally support diversity.

I grew up watching a pumped up luchadore go brokeback on Batman and Robin.

That's like Jerry Lin going lights out on Kobe at the MSG.

20. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

In the comics he's Latin, sure. In the movie (TDKR...Batman and Robin didn't happen) he's as white as a polar bear. Prison in nondescript north african or middle eastern (I don't recall where it was other than there being lots of brown prisoners) location withstanding.