1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fox: Coaches Will Work with Yao this Summer & Yao's Availability

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Jun 27, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

According to Fox 26, Rockets' coaches will have the opportunity to work with Yao over the summer. No word as to how much or when, but this was apparently part of the deal.

Also, Yao will be available as soon as the tournament in October is over on the 14th. If he is here by the 16th, he will still have two full weeks of training camp left before the opening of the season.

Yao said he will study the Rockets' players, coaches and system very closely for the next three months.

2. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

I thought he was going to fulfill his obligation to the Chinese national team until about a week through training camp. Doesn't sound like much time for the Rockets coaches to work with him but I'll take what I can get.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

How can you not like this pick. You rarely see a person with so many people demaniding so much from them act in such a professional manner.

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I take that to mean that some of the Rockets coaches are going to be allowed to go on the road with Yao and work with him during the times he is not practicing with the team.

5. Shark Rocket

Shark Rocket Member

Great, I think that will get Yao well prepared for his NBA stellar success.

6. Old School

Old School Member

Jeff,

I'm now convinced you are on the Fox 26 payroll. :)

[​IMG]

Yao told me so.

os

7. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

This is great news. I was hoping this would happen. The more time our coaches can spend with him prior to the pre-season, the better. This will help both parties involved in helping Ming reach his highest potiental, before entering the NBA.
    "Knowledge is King." GO YAO MING!!!!

8. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

That's something that I haven't thought about. Yao's very young, but that's a great quality he has: professionalism. And he loves the game. These are things the naysayers aren't picking up on. Yao will go far.

Jeff, do you think the coaches will likely work with Yao in China or in Houston? I'd be surprised to see Yao be able to come over for a special trip.

9. cwww

cwww Member

That's great!

10. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Rockets will go to him. He won't come here until the Asian Championships are done on October 14.

11. edc

edc Contributing Member

If I had to guess, probably a little of both.

Remember, the World Games in September are a big deal.
    The US team includes the likes of Elton Brand, Jason Kidd,
    Ray Allen, Reggie Miller, Raef LaFrenz, Andre Miller, and
    Paul Pierce.

http://www.usabasketball.com/seniormen/02_mwc_schedule.html

The game to look for is August 31 at 8pm Central, when the US takes
    on China from the RCA Dome.

Anybody have the TV schedule on this?

12. heech

heech Contributing Member

That's one game to watch, but as I posted elsewhere, the Chinese national team will actually be facing off against team USA in an exhibition match Aug. 22th in Oakland, CA.

I doubt that one will be televised, but I imagine the World Championship game will be. Regardless, I'm sure some of us (including myself) will be at the first game and give some first-hand accounts.

13. AzCkR

AzCkR Member

man this is really good news. i was really worried with yao not coming to training till october that he wouldnt have enough time to train with the rox and be ready to go against the bigger nba players. although he wont be practcing with the team itll be good for him to start doin some drills and workin out so hes prepared for the bigger more athletic players in the nba.

14. dTown333

dTown333 Member

Jeff,
    How are you getting all the scoops from Fox 26 when you live in Austin? Am I missing a way to get Houston stations up here?

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

oooh...I can help with this.

ummmm. Mobley likes to ISO 3 feet above the right elbow while you stand on the weakside baseline. You dive in for the rebound...that'll work.

Francis might call you over for a pick, and then go the other way. Otherwise, he is going to be running down the wing on the fastbreak expecting you to dribble the ball up the middle; afterall, we could have traded you for Odom.

Moochie will dribble forward and back, forward and back, until he hypnotizes you into fading backwards out of his way.

It is very easy.

As Mobley says, "You'll have to fit in."

16. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

dtown... Jeff lives in Houston..(saying this assuming he hasn't moved lol)

thought i'd say that so he doesn't have to use post 10,000 on "I live in Houston" hhehe

17. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Jeff...I was under the assumption that these international games were going to be played in Indianapolis...am I way off here or are there some sort of "games" in Indy that Yao will play in?

18. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

LoL...yea, what a lousy way to post the impressive 10,000th post...

Unless he has moved..he's a H-town guy...spent a ton of time stumpin around the city during the SOR drive..

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

The World Games are in Indy in late August.

The Asian Championships, I'm pretty sure, would be in Asia.

I bet Mo Taylor knows that. :)

20. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

touche'...good stuff