1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fox: Clemens deal could be done tom.

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rocketball, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

For $18 million!!! :eek: :eek:

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

what have i said here about the 2005 Astros that makes you think that I think it's paradise. i wanted Beltran, BIG TIME. i'm not saying we're a lock for anything. i'm not saying we haven't lost production that needs to be addressed.

3. MadMax

yeah! :) you can call ANY move to bring in good, well-known talent a PR move. but it's not a complete picture because it doesn't address the fact that you're bringing back a guy who won a Cy Young for you the prior year.

4. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

For the month of September, not that it matters....

<table bgcolor="#708090" border="1" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0"><td>NAME</td><td>G</td><td>AB</td><td>R</td><td>H</td><td>2B</td><td>3B</td><td>HR</td><td>TB</td><td>RBI</td><td>BB</td><td>SO</td><td>SB</td><td>CS</td><td>BA</td><td>OBP</td><td>SLG</td><td>OPS</tr></td><tr><td>C. Beltran</td><td>27</td><td>97</td><td>22</td><td>25</td><td>3</td><td>6</td><td>2</td><td>46</td><td>7</td><td>18</td><td>17</td><td>6</td><td>0</td><td>0.258</td><td>0.376</td><td>0.474</td><td>0.85</tr></td><tr><td>Jason Lane</td><td>22</td><td>17</td><td>4</td><td>8</td><td>1</td><td>1</td><td>1</td><td>14</td><td>3</td><td>1</td><td>5</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0.471</td><td>0.5</td><td>0.824</td><td>1.324</tr></td></table>

5. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

Having Pettite back, which many people seem to forget, will be pretty big too. We will have one of the best rotations in baseball and now the questions comes about run production of course. With the cards weaker and the cubs finished, I think we can take the division this year. I don't know who will be available mid season like last year, but no one near Beltran's level iirc. I'm guessing we will end up trading Backe for Soriano (though i don't think mclane would do it given his understandable love for Backe) or something along those lines..

Go to hell Boras.

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

It's worth it for this season, Drayton has the money this year. This makes our team much better for this season for another push to the promise land.

7. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Desperate times call for desperate measures. 18 million for one year, and our lineup is so far away from playoff caliber, let alone, world series caliber.

8. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

Assuming Andy is healthy we will have a great rotation. I fear we may have gotten damaged goods in him.

9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Way to go, Roger Clemens! Enjoy the money and thanks for coming back! I guess we hit another .1% scenario where we lucked out. What's another $18 million if your Roger Clemens? Just more cushion I guess.

This is great, great news! I hope the Roger, Andy, and Roy trio are healthy and performing this season. I'm stoked about baseball, again. I'm excited Jeff Lane may get a full season starting. This is f-ing great!

10. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Purpura just doesn't impress me....he sounds like a nervous wreck in this press conference.

11. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I was about to post the same thing. Here's hoping this is just first time jitters and that he doesn't have the same lack of confidence when it comes to negotiating.

On the other hand, I've been very impressed with Drayton this offseason. Way to step up to the plate.

Edit: I don't know what Drayton's talking about with this orange tie/Baylor stuff. Thought Clemens went to UT.

#71 arkoe, Jan 21, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2005
  12. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

hmm I wonder if he is still getting to miss some games etc at 18 mil? Not that it matters much but last year I think that was partially because of his big discount

13. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Oh lord, Roger just gave props to Richard Justice for getting him excited about next season. Now Dick's ego is really gonna be huge.

14. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I don't care if he misses games that he's not scheduled to pitch. He's one of the greatest pitchers to ever play, you let him do what he wants.

15. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

(Had to go to my ignore list override function for that one)

And yes, it was worth the 3.5 minutes it took me to copy and paste all those quotes.

16. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Drayton is one cheap S.O.B.

18 million? He should've given him 18 BILLION!

17. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

It's great that we signed him. But it's not like Drayton had any choice in this matter.

When you lose Kent and Beltran, you better sign Clemens or he isnt going to sell any tickets.

I refuse to give out much credit for doing something that makes you more profits. It's not like this team is one big charity case for the city, we all know that if he wanted to draw attendance he had to do this.

18. MadMax

it's NEVER enough. he signs a guy to an historic deal that no one has ever touched. and it's not enough. no credit. he sucks.

by the way..listening to Purpurra on 610...sounds like Biggio is moving back to 2nd, and is loving the move back...which means a lot less Chris Burke than I anticipated.

19. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

madmax. It's not just Drayton, I don't see any reason to give props to owners for making themselves richer.

Just like I wouldnt go to a fortune 500 company and praise them for selling a new item that will make them fortunes.

I don't see why an owner should get a thank you for making a move that will get him more income. It's like we are thanking them for allowing us to spend our money to see players play baseball.

20. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

Just like I wouldn't walk into your law firm and thank you for allowing me to pay you money.