1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

FOX: CBA WORRIED YAO WILL DEFECT

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Jun 25, 2002.

1. Old School

Old School Member

What could happen if the Rockets/NBA signed papers that agreed he wouldn't defect and would attend all Chinese national team games, etc...then Yao decides NOT to??

What can they do to us? Really?? Trade embargo? WWIII?

I say call their bluff.

os

2. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

I would consider it a monumental failure if they succumbed to these "pressures" which will work themselves out before Friday.

The FIBA release is not a prerequisite for the Rockets being able to draft him. If they want to prove that Houston's little "hypothetical" ultimatum was just that- hypothetical- then let them.

It won't stop us from drafting him.

3. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Yes, BUT...

If the CBA simply refuses to let him leave China, he'll never get here in the first place. It is easy to say we can keep him but that means we assume he actually makes it to the US in the first place.

It took Sabonis like 13 years.

4. r-fan-since-81

r-fan-since-81 Contributing Member

Actually I beat him by 2 minutes.

Jeff did a better job explaining the Report. My post was Short and Sour.

#24 r-fan-since-81, Jun 26, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2002
  5. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

Jeff, is it safe to say that CD's cell phone is on fire right about now.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

wow, r-fan was first.

!!!squash!!!

michecon,

I thought it was reported in several places that they want Ming to go first. Do you know the difference in pay that is? At maximum pay, the difference between a #1 and #7 is 183%. But that is a piddly difference to TV revenue that follows a #1 pick of such magnitude.

Make no mistake, the NBA and David Stern is in the driver's seat as long as China wants TV Revenue and Advertising based on their trademarked product. Ming will have to play the whole season. We are now in a stare down, and we have the Sharks signed on board asking for Mings release, and we have Chinese fans in a uproar at the taxation.

The pressure is building. It is not on us.

patience

7. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I sincerely hope so too...

8. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

bar, I'm not sure if the Korean dude has more game than Yao. Can you elaborate? I was under the assumption that he's a young guy.

9. TheGreatest

TheGreatest Member

The entire Chinese hierarchy of authority is truly sad. When I was in China as a visiting professor, I met fellow professors who couldn't leave China to come to the U.S. because the Chinese government feared that America would steal China's braintrust. Considering that they won't even let professors leave, it is only natural that they would react like this to Yao, who is the one man that gives China an international identity .

10. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Thanks, pal. I feel better already.

11. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

HP: You don't know these Chinese officials. Do you have experience in dealing with some of them? Besides, they won't lose a pond if China gets a lessor deal in TV revenue (Any number won't add a percentage to its GNP), but they can seriously hurt their career if anything goes wrong regarding Yao's availability to NT. BEsides, CBA doesn't trust Erik Chang, they would rather talk to Rockets directly as far as they concerned. But it seems Rocket would rather leave that part to Erik to finish the deal.

12. heech

heech Contributing Member

Yes, it's true Chinese officials are undoubtedly concerned about Yao Ming not showing up for national team games.

But you also have to understand that there is a lot of pressure on them to send Yao Ming overseas to compete. If they do not, every single loss the Chinese national team suffers over the next 12 years (and there will be many, regardless of Yao Ming's status), the *Chinese* press will remind their readers that if only Chinese players like Yao Ming had spent their time overseas...

The greatest sporting story in China today is *not* Yao Ming. It's undoubtedly the World Cup. And the lesson of the World Cup for China is that countries like South Korea and Japan, which have sent their players to Europe/South America for years, are now many orders of magnitudes ahead of China's soccer program.

And that is the future of the Chinese basketball program if it does not embrace this opportunity. The Chinese officials *are* aware of this, as well. They can't afford to let Yao Ming not come to the US, just as they can't afford to let Yao Ming not return for national team contests.

I remain faithful that this deal will happen.

13. C-Kompii

C-Kompii Member

The Koread dude is called Michael Ri, he is something like 7-9 but already in his 30's. He once tried to enter the NBA but was prevented by the North Korean government. He is nowhere near as good as Yao interms of his coordination or abilities from what I've read, and was only projected as a possible 2nd round draft pick had he entered the draft back than.

-G'day-

14. michecon

That's exactly my point. CBA appearantly believe that there are enough teams out there that are interested in Yao Ming, there must be one of them that can accomodate their demands. Now, if Rockets drafts Ming anyhow tomorrow, they have to serious deal with the Rockets.

15. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

I thought that HP stated that if Ming does not sign his contact, that the drafting team only owns his rights for one year (see Steve Francis threat at Vancouver). After one year he would be considered a free agent, and could sign with any team he wants. We only own his rights for 4 years if he signs his Rookie contract.

I might be wrong, but I thought I remembered reading one of HP's post about this.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If we draft him and he is unable to sign a contract because of his government, we hold his right FOREVER, or until he is able to sign the contract on his own.

Sabonis took like 8 years I think.

Draft Ming, and let the chips fall where they may.

DaDakota

17. michecon

Not exactly sure here. But something like teams own rights of INTERNATIONAL player forever until he signs. Say Sabonis, please.