1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Fox 26) Texans reached verbal agreement w/ Williams

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by candlegreen, Apr 28, 2006.

?

What is your reaction?

1. BIG Mistake to pass up on Bush!!

143 vote(s)
    41.9%
  2. Split feeling

51 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. Mario William is the right choice

52 vote(s)
    15.2%
  4. Should have traded down if we were not going to draft Bush

95 vote(s)
    27.9%
  1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Texanskan these kind of moronic threads can fly at the Texans board, but not here at Clutchfans.

2. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

So your opinion could've been expressed in one of the other threads with an actual opinon and command of th English language? Nice.

3. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Ok fair enough lets vote again on wins I say 9!

I am sure most of you voted on the other public vote thread but if you want to change it, post it and explain!

4. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeasy bro. easy.

Hardcore Texans fan. That's awesome.

but eeeeeeeeeasy there.

5. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

It would be great.

6. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

OK here is why, other than our defensive secondary we are set at every position (we need one more DB and I am scared with our young safeties)

We were 7-9 two years ago and with a new staff and a pool of talent that well exceeds the 2004 season I don't see why not.

A two game improvement over 2004 is very possible, forget about last years mess/

Go Rockets. Texans and Astros!

7. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Umm no. McNair could move the team tomorrow and I'd say KMA.

8. twoface723

twoface723 Member

9. today

today Contributing Member

I think 7-9 is very likely this year. We did a good job of shoring up our major needs on defense and the O-line through the draft. Kubiak and his system alone will make us an above average offense next year, so 7 wins is what I'm expecting.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I hope you are right, and they make a dramatic turnaround, it could happen, but more than likely it will have little to do with the draft, and everything to do with Kubiak.

DD

11. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

How can you not like this kid?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/3829926.html

Defense scores major coup
    Unpopular move to pick Williams shows desire to put more heat on QBs

By JOHN MCCLAIN
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

NEW YORK - When Texans defensive end Mario Williams was introduced as the first pick in Saturday's NFL draft, fans at Radio City Music Hall and Reliant Stadium unleashed a chorus of boos that echoed from Manhattan to Houston.

The negative reaction in Houston was understandable because the fans wanted the Texans to select quarterback Vince Young or running back Reggie Bush. Bush was taken second by New Orleans and Young third by Tennessee.

The negative reaction in New York was understandable, too, because the fans boo the top pick every year. As Williams approached commissioner Paul Tagliabue, fans chanted, "O-ver-rat-ed, o-ver-rat-ed."

Later, in a small room behind the stage, the 6-7, 295-pound Williams, a junior who left North Carolina State a year early, responded to the fans' negative reaction.

"I'm going to play with a chip on my shoulder because nobody thought I was worth the top pick except the Texans," he said. "They don't have to worry about me being a bust. I'm going to reward their faith in me.

"I'm proud to be a Texan, and I don't take it (booing) personally. I'm used to being the underdog. Reggie and Vince are great players. I wasn't on TV all the time like they were, but that doesn't mean I can't be a great player, too. I'm going to win the fans over."

On Friday night, the Texans stunned the NFL by signing Williams to a six-year contract, counting an option year, for $54 million, including $26.5 million guaranteed over the first two years.

The Texans said they selected Williams over Bush because they wanted defense over offense.

"I understand why the fans are shocked," owner Bob McNair said. "They've seen so much of Vince and Reggie because they were on center stage almost every week.

"We have a plan, and we're sticking with that plan. I understand the fans' frustration, but at the end of the day, fans want to win, just like we do. This is what our coaches and personnel people believe gives us the best chance to win.

"When the fans see Mario, we hope they have the same kind of reaction we've had and go, 'Wow, he's a phenomenal player.' Guys like Mario Williams don't come around very often."

Dazzling in Indy

At the Indianapolis scouting combine, Williams impressed NFL scouts by running the 40-yard dash in 4.7 seconds. He had a vertical jump of 40 inches. He bench-pressed 225 pounds 35 times.

"I've got to prove myself to people, and I plan to do that as soon as possible," Williams said. "I plan to have an immediate impact on the defense.

"I can play end or tackle in a 4-3. I take a lot of pride in playing the run as well as getting after the quarterback and trying to create turnovers."

Williams is hoping to have the same impact on the Texans that defensive end Julius Peppers had on the Carolina Panthers when he was the second overall pick in 2002.

"Look at where the Panthers were before they took Peppers, and look what happened after he got there," Williams said.

The Panthers were 1-15 the year before Peppers arrived. They were 7-9 in his rookie year. They finished 11-5 and lost the Super Bowl to New England in his second season.

"(Williams) is special, and he can change the game by the way he rushes the passer and with the problems he presents for the offense," said coach Gary Kubiak, who wanted Williams over Bush. "We think he's the best guy for our team. There was no indecision, no doubt among our staff."

Under Kubiak, the Texans are switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3 defensive scheme. Anthony Weaver, a free agent from Baltimore, received a $12.5 million signing bonus to play left end. Williams will play right end.

McNair has given Williams and Weaver $49 million in guaranteed money.

Because the Texans play in the same division as the Titans, Williams and Weaver will be chasing Young two times each season.

"And I'm going to get him, too," Williams said with a laugh.

New rivals in AFC South

Williams, Young and Bush were among the six prospects invited to New York to participate in events leading up to the draft.

"Vince and I talked about me playing for Houston and him playing for Tennessee and going against each other every year," Williams said. "I'm excited to be part of the rivalry. It should be interesting. And fun, too."

McNair reiterated Saturday what general manager Charley Casserly said Friday night: that taking Williams over Bush had nothing to do with the recent controversy involving Bush's family.

"Reggie's a nice young man, and we wish him the best," McNair said. "If none of this (Bush controversy) had come up, we still would have taken Mario. Ultimately, we could have signed Reggie, too, but we made the decision to go defense over offense.

"Would Reggie Bush have made us more exciting this season? There's no doubt. But would we have won more games with him? We don't believe we would have.

"Nothing's guaranteed, of course. This decision could end up being a mistake, but on the other hand, who's to say Mario won't end up being another Reggie White? In situations like this, we have to have the courage of our convictions."

Before he left New York for Houston, Williams was asked what he would do to celebrate being the top pick.

"Yeah, I am going to celebrate," he said. "I'm going to celebrate by working out."

12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

great article. i was convinced anyways but i'm really happy with this pick and i'm looking forward to mario williams punishing people.

13. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Great article! Lots of signature material there! :cool:

14. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

The Texans have had the #1 overall pick twice-

First they passed up on Julius Peppers for David Carr
    Next time they passed up on Reggie Bush and Vince Young for Mario Williams.

So instead of Peppers and Bush/Young they have Carr/Williams

Well I would trade David Carr for Peppers today straight up.
    And If I got that deal done I would go for trade #2 Williams straight up for Young.

But that is all in the mind of a non expert fan.
    Now Casserly gets on the TV and says what I have been screaming for 6 weeks- Bush is a situational back who is only going to get the ball 10-15 times a game. What a hypocrite!

I like Mario Williams, I hate the way the Texans have tried to build this team.
    I will give them this much (hopefully attributed to Kubiak) this has been their best offseason to date.

If Mario sacks the QB then our only real weakness is David Carr and Dominique Davis injuries and no starting right tackle and no right cornerback and Phillip Buchanon the only cb depth and no strong safety and moving C Pitts to guard and placing Seth Wand at left tackle and no strong run stopping middle linebacker- Otherwise we are one big playoff contender.

When you are rebuilding start in the trenches, at least that got that part right.

15. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Mario says all the right things. I hope he does well.

16. Major

Major Member

How is he a hypocrite? We all knew not to believe anything that was coming out of anyone's mouths for the past two months. Even if they were seriously considering Mario Williams all month long, they had to play up Reggie Bush to see what kind of trade offers they could get for him. If people knew we were leaning towards MW, they'd try to trade with New Orleans instead of us.

17. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Yes, I can admit I was so PO'd friday, and eventhough I still wish Bush was a Texan, I like the many other fans need to get over it...

This guy better contribute from Day one to erase all our doubts...

18. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Props to Lance Z for breaking the story. I know he gets a lot of crap around here, but he should also get credit when it is due. The heading of this thread should be changed to reflect that.

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'll give him props when a) he stops coughing into the microphone and b) when he b****es at callers talking about Bush now like he did with VY proponents last week.

20. Buck Turgidson

Lance is the best in Houston when it comes to football.