1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Fox 26) Texans reached verbal agreement w/ Williams

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by candlegreen, Apr 28, 2006.

?

What is your reaction?

1. BIG Mistake to pass up on Bush!!

143 vote(s)
    41.9%
  2. Split feeling

51 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. Mario William is the right choice

52 vote(s)
    15.2%
  4. Should have traded down if we were not going to draft Bush

95 vote(s)
    27.9%
  1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I think Reggie Bush is going to be a terrific pro football player. Can you show me where I said otherwise, or that he would "suck"?

You guys sure have an amazing way to put words into my mouth that I never remotely came close to saying.

2. Outlier

Outlier Member

You imply it though.

3. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

I'll say it. I've always thought Reggie would transition poorly to the NFL. We'll see this year how he fares against LB's who are just as fast as he is.

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Okay. Got ya, I misread you take.

You can continue to rehash the same old arguements about Bush. If I had Lendale White I would rush him in short yardage situations over Barry Sanders or Reggie Bush because of the way they play the game. They go for the big gain instead of taking the consistent 4-5 power running game.

You draft Bush for his ability to score at any time during the game, not for his ability to consistently pick up 2 yards.

5. The Real Shady

How many LB's run a 4.33?

6. The Cat

When? Where? How?

All I'm doing is saying there's a chance Reggie Bush might not be the greatest player in the history of the league, and somehow that equates to me thinking he's going to suck? I happen to love Reggie Bush, all I'm saying is that I think Mario Williams is a really good player too, and neither are sure things.

7. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

That's fine to have that opinion, but don't give me some BS opinion that it was because he wasn't used in short yardage situations when a guy like LenDale White is on your team. I'm not saying Bush is the next Barry Sanders, but to use that reasoning is horrible logic.

8. twoface723

twoface723 Member

There are LBs that are as fast as Reggie Bush :eek: !?

9. The Cat

But if you're going to divide carries based on power/speed and split time, is it really a no-brainer to use a No. 1 overall pick on a non-cornerstone position for a player that you're claiming should essentially be a part-time player depending on the situation?

I understand your argument about his big play ability, and it's a tremendous attribute. But if you don't feel he can consistently pick up 2 yards, it is something to consider. With his game-breaking speed, I want him out there for 3rd and 2 situations... because if he gets past the initial containment, he has the speed to break it big. And for the record, I actually think Bush is stronger than people give him credit for and I think he can handle it. I'm merely pointing out that there is doubt. This isn't a sure-fire, guaranteed legend. No one is.

10. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

If there are, I don't think any of them can cut like Reggie Bush.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

No, there aren't.

12. Mr. Clutch

Didn't seem to bother New Orleans much, despite the fact that they have a prototypical inside runner and star in Deuce McAllister.

13. The Cat

Coming off major knee surgery, meaning it's unlikely he'll ever be close to the same player ever again. Also, New Orleans is a situation where PR does matter... tickets have to be sold. Fortunately, here we have the luxury of selecting the best football player without the outside pressure of having to worry about ticket sales.

14. Mr. Clutch

An ACL injury hardly means he won't ever be the same player again. HE is 27-28 years old and has had plenty of time to rehab. That is NOT the reason NO took Bush, they took him because he was the best player available. And just because NO doesn't sell out doesn't mean they were going to make a draft decision based on that concern.

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Like Edge James...

16. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

NOBODY runs a 4.33. You honestly believe that time?

I read somewhere that they recently broke down Ben Johnson's record 100 yd dash into 10 yard segments and he ran the 40 in 4.4 seconds. Remember this was the fastest man AND he was on steroids.

Remember Reggie wasn't timed electronically but rather manually which usually takes time off.

You guys have bought into all the hype.

Longhorn LB Drew Kelson matched Reggie step for step in the Rose Bowl.

17. The Cat

Every rule has exceptions.

18. The Cat

It's not the only concern, but it is a concern. Also, most scouts graded two outstanding players in this draft, not one. The Saints were in a position to grab one, and they did. Furthermore, as I said in my post above, if Deuce comes back the same, he'll be an exception to the rule. Bush was the BPA, and you don't pass on BPA and draft for need except in situations where you're absolutely certain you have something at that position. They aren't.

19. The Real Shady

Well, whatever time it is it's NFL time. And no LB at the combine was clocked at 4.33.

20. Lil Lee

Lil Lee Contributing Member

i know the feelin. i tore my acl 3 years ago, had surgery but still not able to do the things i used to do on the court.