1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Fox 26] Texans give Sharper, Foreman permission to seek trade

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rikesh316, Mar 3, 2005.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

The Houston Texans gave Jamie Sharper and Jay Foreman permission to seek a trade and new contracts with new teams. But will most probley be cut if not traded since Sharper's cap hit is REAL HIGH and Foreman's is getting high. Sharper hopes to stay here but its doubtful. I like Sharper and hopefully they figure something to agree on. The Greenwood signing makes more sense now with this development. Wonder what we could get for these guys, most probley a 3rd round pick for Sharper and 5th round pick for Foreman.

2. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Why are the Texans trying to trade their best defensive player? I don't have a problem about Foreman but you gotta keep Sharper on the team. Losing Sharper would be a huge blow unless they trade up and get D.J.

3. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

Shaper was one of my favorite players. It's a shame to see him go. He always gave 100% on and off the field. I'm sure i'm not the only that feels this way, he was a fan favorite and i see him being a future Pro Bowler at least once.

I hope the Texans have a plan this offseason, because i haven't seen one so far. I thought they would be aggresive this off season but they weren't. We're so close to being a legitimate contender, that's why i'm so dissapointed.

If their cap hits were so big, we should have been more aggresive fixing up the trenches and O Line this off season.

4. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

Another thing, why don't they try to restructure Sharper's contract? Team do this every year. Sharper really reminded me of Derrick Johnson. He wasn't a sacker, but he covers the field from left to right and stops the run. Unless somehow we get DJ, i'm not sold on this move.

5. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can think of two reasons not to restructure:

1) Age - Sharper turns 31 this season. Restructuring his contract is step one to salary cap hell. This team is in no position to start borrowing against future cap space to keep aging players.

2) Maybe Sharper just wants out. He did make comments during the season about not being happy with the defensive coaching.

I hope they can strike a deal that somehow gets them higher in the draft.

6. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

His contract sucks. It was inevitable that he wouldnt last too much longer on this team.

7. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Who is out there to sign and replace Sharper? Maybe Ed Hartwell, Kendrell Bell, or Jeremiah Trotter?

8. moligity

moligity Contributing Member

I'de love me some Ed Hartwell -- definite upgrade over what we got.

I'm not surprised by these developments, our ILB's were average last year. Although I would like to keep Sharper, he may not be worth his salary.

9. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

i think unfortunately both sharper and foreman are likely gone. wong is likely going to get the ilb spot with greenwood. i think the money should been spent on hartwell instead of greenwood. i hope the texans can package sharper and the texans first pick to trade up and get dj. i rather have wong play at olb than peek since peek still isnt maturing to be every-down back

10. yellaman

yellaman Member

I doubt the texans will get much for a 31 yr old middle linebacker.....at best a 3rd round pick...however if they do get a 3rd round pick for sharper, that will give us three 3rd round picks. Our own, dallas for drew henson and hopefully sharper will net us a 3rd rounder.

11. lpbman

lpbman Member

Texans need Terrell Suggs for the 3/4
    also you will love Marcus Spears when you draft him lol

12. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Sucks that Sharper's on his way out. Really liked that guy. This strikes me as the first big roster loss that team has had to absorb.

Evan

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

What the hell do I tell my 5 year old kid??? He has an autographed picture of Sharper on his wall!

First Beltran...now this??? Is nothing sacred????

;)

14. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Lol, poor kid, get him an autographed picture of AJ or Dunta both will end up worth more and neither one is going anywhere...hopefully.

Well the Greenwood signing makes more sense now. When you've sunk as much money as the Texans have into the OL and DL you've got to make sacrifices elsewhere.

Thought I read somewhere that one of the advantages of the 3-4 was that 4-3 DL typically cost more while LB's are cheaper across the board. So instead of paying big bucks for that stud DE who gets all the sacks you can get the same production from an OLB who's value is diminished because he only gets the sacks from the scheme.

I love Sharper and would love to see him back, but for the good of the team hopefully someone will pony up a third, or another player for him.

15. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

Very sad if Sharper leaves. I like him as a player and it seems like him gets the defense fired up when needed....or at least tries.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Fortunately, the Texans' productivity in the pass rush tends to keep prices low....

17. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

:( I really like Sharper. Too bad he is on his way out.

18. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

19. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

What BS!!!:mad: :mad:

Keep Sharper by restructuring his contract...period...Foreman can go, as he's not that good...

20. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

Sharper plus the first rounder for a higher first rounder...who's gonna take DJ with their pick? Who needs a LB? Are they in a position where getting a solid LB and still being able to draft relatively high would help them out? Probably. Why not do that or something like it?