1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Fox 26 Sports] Rockets Use Disabled Player Exception on Trevor Ariza

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ron413, Jul 8, 2009.

1. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/nba/090708_rockets_ariza_yao

Rockets Use Disabled Player Exception on Ariza
    Yao Says He Still Has Big Decision to Make
    Published : Wednesday, 08 Jul 2009, 2:51 PM CDT

HOUSTON - The Houston Rockets used the NBA Disabled Player Exception to sign free agent forward Trevor Ariza, according to general manager Daryl Morey.

The NBA granted the Disabled Player Exception based on the fact that Yao Ming is not expected to play next season because of his broken left foot.

"As a course of business to give us maximum flexibility, we applied for an injury exception for Yao and it was granted by the league," Morey said in an interview with FOX 26 Sports on Wednesday. "That will allow us to use the Mid-Level Exception to improve the Rockets roster going forward."

By granting the Disabled Player Exception, the NBA is agreeing with the Rockets that it is unlikely that Yao will play during the 2009-2010 season. However, it does not rule out Yao's return. Also, in the unlikely event that Yao does play next season, the Rockets would not be penalized.

The value of the NBA Disabled Player Exception is identical to the Mid-Level Exception. They both begin at approximately $5.8 million per year.

The Rockets chose to use the Disabled Player Exception on Ariza because the NBA only allows it to be used on one player. The Mid-Level Exception can be broken up and used on one or more players.

While Yao is not expected to play next season, he has yet to determine how he will treat his injury going forward.

"I am still considering what course of action is best," Yao said in a statement to FOX 26 Sports issued through his agent John Huizinga.

"Once a decision has been made, I will let people know and I will proceed with the same high level of optimism and dedication that I have had in the past. I look forward to returning to play as soon as my recovery allows."

#1 ron413, Jul 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  2. AB#0

AB#0 Member

So we keep our MLE?

3. tofu--

tofu-- Member

MOREY THE WIZARD

4. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

5. mob16151

mob16151 Member

If true I'd like to quote the guiness guys.......Brilliant

6. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

hopefully this leads to some sort of SPLASH!!

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Duh ... so that's what the Rockets talking about when they said there was an obvious way for them to sign Ariza and preserve their MLE. That possibility even slipped by Larry Coon.

[rquoter]
    By granting the Disabled Player Exception, the NBA is agreeing with the Rockets that it is unlikely that Yao will play during the 2009-2010 season. However, it does not rule out Yao's return. Also, in the unlikely event that Yao does play next season, the Rockets would not be penalized.[/rquoter]

Cool. I still don't see the benefit of using our MLE this year, but its nice to have as an option regardless.

9. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

10. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

That is pretty sweet.

Now it's a question of whether Les wants to dip deep into the luxury tax to make an attempt at staying somewhat competitive, or just save the money.

As much as I want to see a quality product on the floor, I vote for saving it.

11. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

wow. Daryl is amazing. Great move there. Surprised the nba provided exception that fast.

Von might have hope to come back now...

12. Egghead

Egghead Member

In Morey we trust..had to say it

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

question, how does this affect salary after this season? Or does it, in any way?

14. rockets > *

rockets > * Member

This is wonderful news.

15. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

very smart move by Morey

the MLE will probably be split for a smaller size FA acquisition and possibly one or two of our second round picks

16. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Hmmmmm. Lamar Odom for the MLE? LOL

17. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Brilliant yes the perfect words. I do not believe it will be used for much more than the rookie signings but that in itself is a very smart move and if something comes along they will have some flexibility.

18. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

If we intend on letting McGrady's contract expire to sign a FA next year, the best use of the MLE this year will probably be for signing the 2nd rounders to longer deals.

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

no way, we'd be better off signing a big man, maybe dyess

20. Egghead

Egghead Member

I think we will use some of the MLE to sign the 2nd round rookies now...