1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Fox 26] Morey to meet with Omer Asik in LA tonight

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Jun 30, 2012.

?

Are you excited that Morey is meeting with Asik tonight?

1. Yes!

215 vote(s)
    38.1%
  2. No!

88 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. Depending on the price.

222 vote(s)
    39.4%
  4. Fire Maori!

39 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

I don’t think Asik can play starters minutes and he is actually a NEGATIVE on offense, not a zero.

He’s not even like Chuck Hayes who can at least catch the ball and pass, he can’t do anything at all.

I’d offer him a reasonable contract and if the Bulls match so be it, but that scenario where we’d be paying him $9M in the third and fourth years of his contract would be pretty horrible.

2. ihatekobe

ihatekobe Member

nice:grin:

3. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Haha right. People are acting like he's going to be our franchise center. He's ideally a solid big off the bench.

4. albuster

albuster Member

This. Although I think Asik is smart enough to know that if he signs with the Rockets he is setting up his behind to be shipped out of the team in a heartbeat. I believe word of how Morey deals with players is already out there in the relatively small world of the NBA. I seriously doubt that he signs with Morey unless he is trying to leverage this to get more from the Bulls. He is not signing with the Rockets, and that is unfortunate because he is a solid center and he would definitely fill the donut hole in the team. Sad.

5. gah

gah Member

How much are you willing to pay him in salary?

How much are you willing to give to trade for him?

6. acjeitherocket

dude is def overrated

7. OpportunityCost

8. mic

mic Contributing Member

Hate to be a negative nancy, but this does not excite me.

9. arjun

arjun Member

from dwight howard being our #1 target....to a guy who avg 3 pts and 5 rb. lol

10. OpportunityCost

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

He is great at crashing the offensive boards: http://www.basketball-reference.com...c5comp=gt&c6mult=1.0&c6stat=&order_by=orb_pct

12. cheaterwon

cheaterwon Member

NO if Morey signs someone that is not a super star he sucks. Because every other GMs only sign super stars as a matter of fact we are the only team that doesn't have 5 superstars starting for them and 10 coming off the bench. Dam you Morey you should be fired for trying to find a solid C that does the things that we need like rebound and defend. Really you mean to tell me he doesn't have a 30/20/5 stat line and you think he is good enough to be signed, Fired I tell you Fired that is what he needs to be. This is what some of you all are arguing brilliant I tell you brilliant.I am pretty sure that you that do this are undercover Mav fans are 10 year olds............ not that there is a difference in intelligence.

3 people like this.
  13. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Ideal, as per me, would be to force Bulls' hand and enter a trade for Noah. Take back Booz (ugly) with Scola and Martin as bait. Maybe Lee SnT?

15. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

What's the difference in his game and Kendrick Perkins'?

16. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Better rebounder, more agile, taller, and much whiter.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So, he's saying there is a point at which the Bulls will not match.

For example: A deal with $7.5 million average salary for 4 years will count as $5 mil, $5.2 mil, $9.7 mil and $10.1 mil for the Bulls in the next 4 years.

Are the $9.7 mil and $10.1 mil years (when they will likely be also paying big $ to Taj Gibson) "nutty" enough for them? Enough to make the Bulls think twice about matching vs. working out a S&T?

I really don't think this is all that surprising or even meaningful. If you extend the qualifying offer and make a guy a restricted FA, you are pretty much expected to come out and say "we'll match everything" or at least "we'll match everything not crazy." We've seen enough of Daryl Morey dealing with our own RFAs to know the routine, no?

Also: Jonathan Feigen just tweeted KC Johnson (and deleted it shortly after) asking Johnson to call Feigen or give Feigen his number.

18. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

What about 7'1'', 24-year-old UFA Spencer Hawes? Not even 2 years older than Tyler Zeller, and he already has 5 years in the NBA under his belt.

19. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

How's Asik compared to all the Centers we have now?

He works for the Rockets because getting him is an actual possibility.

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

What i like about asik is how aggressive he is, this is a guy that you will never see turn down a dunk for a layup and we need that. It was so frustrating watching jordan hill, patrick patterson always go for the lay up or the hook shot instead of just going hard and stuffing it. Well thats exactly what asik will do, this aggression transitions on the defensive end as well. He's not the type to just stand there when somebody's going full speed to the basket, he's never worried about getting dunked on, he's just always trying to challenge every shot, trying to block everything he see's pretty much. Along with that aggression he has size - 7'0 255 and thats what makes him so special. He's doesn't have any skills offensively or doesn't stick to people like chuck on D, but he has size and aggression. He's not super athletic or super quick but he has hops and is definitely more mobile then your average center.

1 person likes this.