1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Fox 26] Morey to meet with Omer Asik in LA tonight

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Jun 30, 2012.

?

Are you excited that Morey is meeting with Asik tonight?

1. Yes!

215 vote(s)
    38.1%
  2. No!

88 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. Depending on the price.

222 vote(s)
    39.4%
  4. Fire Maori!

39 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

Let's throw the max at Hibbert, then go after Asik. Asik basically does the same thing as Camby. I wouldn't mind him though.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The following is a summary of the Bulls salary situation. It is pretty much impossible for them to re-sign Asik and stay under the $70.3 million luxury tax threshhold without dumping significant salary in addition to cutting their 3 non-guaranteed guys (Korver, Brewer and Watson)."

<style type="text/css">
    table.tableizer-table {border: 1px solid #CCC; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;} .tableizer-table td {padding: 4px; margin: 3px; border: 1px solid #ccc;}
    .tableizer-table th {background-color: #104E8B; color: #FFF; font-weight: bold;}
    </style>

<table class="tableizer-table">
    <tr class="tableizer-firstrow"><th> Name </th><th> Notes </th><th> 2012-13 </th></tr> <tr><td>Carlos Boozer</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>$15,000,000 </td></tr> <tr><td>Luol Deng</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>$13,365,000 </td></tr> <tr><td>Joakim Noah</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>$11,300,000 </td></tr> <tr><td>Derrick Rose</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>$15,506,632 </td></tr> <tr><td>Richard Hamilton</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>$5,000,000 </td></tr> <tr><td>Kyle Korver</td><td>Waived</td><td>$500,000 </td></tr> <tr><td>Ronnie Brewer</td><td>Waived</td><td> </td></tr> <tr><td>C.J. Watson</td><td>Waived</td><td> </td></tr> <tr><td>Omer Asik</td><td> </td><td> </td></tr> <tr><td>Taj Gibson</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>$2,155,811 </td></tr> <tr><td>Jimmy Butler</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>$1,066,920 </td></tr> <tr><td>John Lucas III</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr> <tr><td>Brian Scalabrine</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr> <tr><td>Marquis Teague</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>$942,700 </td></tr> <tr><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr> <tr><td>SUM</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>$64,837,063 </td></tr> <tr><td># of Players</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>8 </td></tr> <tr><td>$ below $58.04 mil Cap</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>($6,797,063)</td></tr></table>

3. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Me too. I like him defensively, but he's a 0 on offense. That's not the end all be all. The money he will command, I would rather scrape up a little more and get lopez from nj to force a match and take them out of the howard sweepstakes. Another option would be al jefferson via trade from utah.

4. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

Some of you guys are just ... lol

I dunno ............

we are talkin' about Omer Asik rite?

Some of you guys are just funny overrating players!

If I didn't know basketball I would think

Aaron Brooks
    Lowry
    Landry
    Hayes
    Omer Asik

was an ALL-STAR team.

5. teebone21

teebone21 Member

but lopez cant defend or rebound is was actually one of worst starting centers in league

6. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Just don't over pay him. I'd hate for us to pay too much for him or any other player just because there isn't a large pool to pick from in the FA.

7. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

We would shut down the other team's big guys :grin:

8. ctry2582

ctry2582 Member

We don't need Asik to score. We wanna develop our rookies right? We want Goran scoring right? Camby isn't getting any younger, people.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

A sign and trade makes sense. The Rocket have a ton of player under contract. Many of them are pretty decent (or at least have potential to be in the case of the 1st/2nd year guys) and cheap. The Bulls, on the other hand, don't have enough players under contract (once they waive the non-guaranteed guys) and is edging close to the luxury tax limit. S&T seems like a perfect way to address both team's needs:

The Bulls fill their needs for rotation guys and value contract while the Rockets get a leg up in signing Asik (i.e. have the Bulls threaten to match all contract offers other than one from a team with a pre-arranged S&T).

As has been mentioned elsewhere, perhaps a back-up plan is to get Noah if the Bulls match an outside offer for Asik.

10. jc9495

jc9495 Member

Sign this guy and instead of drafting 14 we may draft 15 or 16 and get swept in the first round. In Morey we rust.

2 people like this.
  11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Morey already wined and dined him before he went back overseas and Mchale showed his gf a good time.

It's in the bag. ;)

12. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I don't care if a center can score, I want them to defend and rebound. Scoring is just a bonus.

(In before joke about "scoring")

13. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

Hes Indiana's starting center, they have to match any offer to stay competitive, while the Bulls don't. Plus Hibbert hates the rockets.

14. albuster

albuster Member

Not quite. It would require the addition of Thabeet, JHill, TWill, JTaylor, Dorsey, Morris, Patterson and that 09 lottery pg from Minnesota (forgot his name).

15. RocketsFan11

RocketsFan11 Member

A taller Chuck Hayes, just what we need. :rolleyes:

16. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Hibbert doesn't hate the Rockets fool. He later said he appreciated the honesty, and he just used it as motivation.

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Better to hope to sign a solid role player center than j*zz one's pants hoping for Dwight Howard.

Who's overrating him? Decent center. Let the other plays score. He can D.

18. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

This guy is not going to cut it great white hype here we go what's next! He's not Kevin McHale, Bill Lambier or Kevin Love. Just a waste of time get some freakin athletes

19. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Carl is stoked i bet!!

I havent read thru the posts but i assume hes happy as all hell....

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Chuck happened to turn into a very solid player for us. If Chuck were taller no way we would've lost him. Hell, he might have been drafted in the first place and deprived us of the chance to sign him.