1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Fox 26] Calvin Murphy to coach Texas Southern University?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rikesh316, Jul 19, 2007.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/p...n=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=6.1.1

HOUSTON -- Texas Southern University Athletic Director Alois Blackwell tells FOX 26 Sports he has fired men's basketball coach Ronnie Courtney. Blackwell also tells FOX 26 he is interested in replacing Courtney with former Houston Rockets star Calvin Murphy who is a member of the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame.

"We made a decision to release Ronnie from his contract as of today. We just believe in moving in a different direction. New leadership might be a better thing for us," said Blackwell in an interview with FOX 26 Sports.

Blackwell acknowledges the timing of his decision is unusual.

"It really is. It's somewhat unfortunate that it is at this time, but due to some other things that were taking place within the university -- this could've been the reason," Blackwell said.

Courtney had been the head coach at TSU for six years with the highlight of his stint coming in 2003 when he led the Tigers to the SWAC Tournament Title earning a bid to play in the NCAA Tournament Play-In-Game.

"I'm fine. I'm going to be okay. It's just the nature of the business," said Courtney in an interview with FOX 26 Sports. Courtney is shocked by the move. "Pretty much -- the timing of it. You could've told me in April and I could've gone and found a job a long time ago. I just think there was a better way to do it."

Calvin Murphy played his entire career in the Rockets organization. Though the smallest player in the NBA, he made the NBA All-Rookie team in 1971 and went on to average 17.9 points a game during his 13 year career. He still holds the NBA singe-season record for highest free throwing percentage (.958) which he set during the 1980-81 season. Murphy was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1993.

"We are going to go through our process. Right now Calvin is an interest for us in regards to pursuing the head coach position. We'll go through that process and see how it works out," said Blackwell.

2. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

Awesome! Good Luck Calvin. First the radio show and now this. I like how Calvin is in the public eye again.

3. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

ah i wish he would come back with bill... = \

4. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

I think I overheard on 97.5 FM that he has his own radio show too?

5. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

ya he does i think its a one hour show every day or weekday not sure exactly

6. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Calvin would be a heckuva coach on any level. I hope he gets a couple of years of coaching experience and then joins the Rockets staff. Of course, I'd really rather see Les relent and put Calvin back where he should be, commenting on the Rockets.

7. Navman

Navman Member

Agreed. Maybe he could also be TMac's personal FT shooting coach. ;)

8. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

every weekday 6pm - 7pm. also they were saying he was going to do pre-game and post-game shows around rocket games. Im not sure that would go through if he became head coach at TSU.

9. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

I hope it's not the women's team. :)

10. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

After hearing him with Bil calling all those games throughout the years, I always thought he could be a good coach. He definitely knew what he was talking about and made it fun at the same time. After our first loss, I'll be the first one to yell, "FIRE ADELMEN, HIRE CALVIN."

11. Cesar^Geronimo

My thought too -- I think Calvin needs some more baby mama drama.

12. rocketsmetalspd

Clavin should be back on t.v. That would complete the great Summer 07.

13. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

I miss the Calvin and Bill combo, dam you Les for firing him.. I do like you as an owner Les as you have showed you are always willing to pass money out to improve the team but the Calvin situation I will always look at you with a little bit of a grudge.

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

To me, Calvin, Bill, Rudy, Gene and Jim
    the founders of the Rockets.
    not the financial founders of the Rockets. but the soul founders.

15. rua2006

rua2006 Member

Agreed. And after this year, we'll only really have Bill left, unless Calvin is brought back.

16. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

nice to see Calvin getting back on his feet, I hope he does well.

17. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Yet another example of why Texas Southern is one of the worst universities in America. Fire a class act, one of the few on campus, and replace him with an unproven coach of extremely questionable character.

Didn't they learn anything from the debacle that was their last president?

Come on TSU, it's getting to be pretty embarassing! You should just shut yourself down and do your students the favor of being able to transfer to Prairie View, Houston, Clown College, Sam Houston State, Texas A&M, Houston Community College, ANYWHERE but TSU.

18. BroadwayBelm

BroadwayBelm Member

damn I thought you were gonna say, back in the booth. Then I would of had an orgasm.

19. denniscd

denniscd Contributing Member

and clyde as his asst....that would be a hard working duo to put tsu back on the map

20. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i would nut on my computer if on top of this awesome summer calvin came back to tv. aint gonna happen though. i hope he gets the coaching job, i think he'd be fantastic.