1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's the EAST FINALS Game 2 as Tatum and the Celtics host Haliburton and the Pacers. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Fourth Qtr. Line-up????

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FranchiseCat, Jun 5, 2002.

1. FranchiseCat

FranchiseCat Member

Please forgive me if this topic has been brought up already, but there are simply too many Yao Ming topics to keep track of. With that said.....

With Ming on board, and it's the last 6:00 minutes of the 4Qtr, who would you want to be on the floor? IMO, I think this would be a good closing line-up:

PG - Stevie (21.6 ppg; 5.3 rpg; 6.4 apg; 1.53 spg)
    SG - Cat (21.7 ppg; 4.1 rpg; 1.47 spg)
    SF - Eddie (5.7 rpg, 1.6 off; 1.84 bpg)
    PF - Cato (7.0 rpg, 2.3 off; 1.27 bpg)
    C - Ming (32.4 ppg; 19 rpg; 4.8 bpg)
    [Let's half reduce Ming's numbers by 60 %]
    (19.4 ppgs; 11.4 rpg; 2.88 bpg)

WOW!!!! If Ming just put up 40% of his numbers from CBA, in the NBA.....Look out.

Well anyway, I think this is an awesome line. Provided that no one is in foul trouble. Please give me some feedback of what 4 qtr line ups you think (or would like to) see.

2. Darth West

Darth West Member

Some more defense wouldnt hurt ... :)

3. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I'm guessing you're kidding Darth, considering any of these three guys could lead the league in blocked shots.

I think it's optimistic though to count on 40% of Yao's CBA production. If Langhi, Collier, Drew or so many others could have converted 40% of their college stats, they'd have a secure place in the Rockets rotation. Doc Rocket's (seemingly outrageously) optimistic stat prediction for Yao is more than good enough for me.

4. Darth West

Darth West Member

Well I am not really kidding ... Obviously you have some nice shootblockers out there (even though Griffins shoot blocking would suffer as a SF) ... but besides shootblocking i think you are lacking on defense ... I am not sold on Ming beeing a defensive power even though I belive he will do fine offensively ... anyway I have been many wrong times before ... :)

5. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I hope we can get a good SF this summer. Actually, I'd be comfortable with a 4th quarter frontcourt with any combination of Yao, our three PFs, and the new SF. I'd also be comfortable with Yao or Eddie at center, another big man at PF and then a three-guard lineup. I think Yao just adds to the versatility of this team. Teams will have a tough time matching up with us. In my opinion, the most effective way for opposing teams to beat us would probably be to ISO their star player, since I don't think we have any really good one-on-one defenders other than T Mo.

6. Darth West

Darth West Member

I really think the SF you need is Artest whom would bring energy and more defense then the rest of the team combined ... you sure wont need additional offense with Stevie, Cat, Ming(?) et al. ...

7. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

None of us knows enough about Ming to know whether or not he'll be an effective man to man defender, but when you don't have great individual defenders it's a great boon to have good help defenders. That means shotblocking.

We all know Cato's probably maxed out on his potential. The problem seems to be in his head, but he can still block shots.

The main thing we know about both Ming and Griffin though is that they will continue to get better than they are now. Most likely they will get bigger too. Griffin definitely will. And he showed several flashes last season of being able to fly across the floor to block a shot he had no business blocking. Obviously he'd block more as a 4 or 5, but his main assets as a shotblocker are his eyes and his timing.

Assuming we retain all three of these guys, it's hard to imagine the team wouldn't lead the league in blocked shots in another year or two.

And, of course, as has been said in other threads, while Ming can't guard Shaq, Shaq can't guard Ming 18 feet out. What we lack in defense here, we make up by drawing defensive big men out of the lane.

8. Rocketblast

Rocketblast Member

Griffin will be an awesome defender. He can play man on man defense and block shots. Point guard defense is what I'm worried about, especially Bibby.