1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fouling out in the NBA

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Woofer, May 6, 2003.

1. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

For some reason, this has always seemed stupid to me. People pay to see the stars play. Was disappointed when Garnett fouled out in Minnesota's OT win and Shaq's recent foul out in the Lakers loss to SA.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I think the rule is necessary, considering the nature of the game. In basketball, a foul can often help the team doing the fouling. This is rarely the case in baseball or football.

The problem in today's game is that the refs don't foul out players when they should. As a result, the calls seem way too subjective and most of the game seems pointless (until the end).

3. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

I don't pay to see the stars play, I pay to see teams play.

Also, what woudl you suggest as an anternative?

4. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Yeah, right...if you think the end of a close basketball game moves slowly now...

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I don't get it.... :confused:

6. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

What's not to get? Players would go on a hacking spree if they had no fear of fouling out

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Fouling out a star player is not disappointing. It's exciting. Who cares if a scrub got fouled out?

8. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

I think the foul limit should be reduced to four. It would put an end to these ugly games where fouling becomes a tactic, not something to be avoided.

I'm sure I'm not the only one sick of seeing players foul to stop a fast break. It is killing the game. That awful "foul hard" coaching mentality would stop, and eventually, the game would flow much better.

9. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

I gotta agree with you ZRB. I'd like to see them reduce the number of fouls for disqualification. I hate it when basketball games turn into rugby matches.

The game is a lot more exciting when the players try to beat their opponent without touching him.

10. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

If players foul out at 4, you would have noone to finish the game! :)
    It also depends on how the refs call the game too. You would want them to be consistent but it's never the case. If they call the touch fouls you can forget it.
    There is an argument for lowering the number of fouls though. If and when the players adjust and back off in defense, it would give the offense an advantage and allow for more scoring, more points which make the game more interesting to the fans.

11. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

I'd like to see them lower the number of fouls too. 4 might be a little extreme because coaches would have to pull a player as soon as he gets one foul, but I'd like to see them try 5 as the limit.

The other disadvantage to lowering the foul limit might be an increase in flopping. I'd like to see a marked penalty for flopping installed along with this rule. Maybe basket plus posession?

12. IVFL

IVFL Member

I dont know about 4 but I would like to see it back at 5. I mean they are allowed 5 fouls at every level of the game, except the highest. Why is that, these guys are the best players in the world, yet they constantly need the rulebook changed to try and "fix the game". Another thing I would like to see is defensive 5 seconds brought back. That would limit the number of Iso's

Hell, give them only 4 fouls, they are the best players in the world, they will adjust.

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

There are more fouls in the pros than in college because they play for a longer time. In college the players get 5 fouls for 40 minutes (1 every 8 minutes), in the pros it is 6 fouls in 48 minutes (1 every 8 minutes).

14. Newgirl

Newgirl Member

What are you talking about? The game is already FIXED enough in favour of the likes of KG and Shaq. Superstars are called for way less fouls and rarely fouled out if ever.

It's a business after all and most people know it.

15. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

Thank you bobrek.
    Besides, with all the crying, flopping, and acting.....NBA players need everyone one of those 6 fouls.
    It's bad enough that we got people rushing to the semi-circle just to take a charge instead of playing defense :p.

16. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

I think the charging call in the NBA is a joke. The refs had stopped looking to see if the player with the ball had left the ground before the defensive man stepped into his path. These days, all they care about is whether his feet are outside the circle! Pathetic!
    The league says it wants more offense, yet it invented these rules that have the opposite effect.

17. MrSpur

MrSpur Member

LA never fouls so who cares?

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It's sad that the NBA has chosen to referee the games this way. I wonder what would happen if Major League Baseball told umpires to not call as many strikes on Barry Bonds, or to have a bigger strikezone for guys like Randy Johnson or Roger Clemens. It would be moronic. The NBA needs to get a clue.

19. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

a.) Yes, I agree that the epidemic of fouling at the end of the game slows and changes the nature of game for worse
    b.) How about if you go over six fouls the other team gets a bonus ft every time you foul?

20. IVFL

IVFL Member

well what about High school? they only play 36 minutes should they only get 4 now. Or if the game goes into OT, do players get more fouls. NBA players should not be given any special consideration. College players are not when they jump from highshool to the college game. Why does the NBA play by different rules. Last time I checked it was the same game. . . . well sort of.

No 5 seconds, closely gaurded
    no lane vilations, well not like they should be called
    8 seconds to get the ball past half court. . . . yeah like that will speed up the game, I mean last year teams would just camp behind half court until one second was left then cross over to the line :rolleyes:
    6 fouls
    traveling

Bottom line, the NBA is not helping itself by changing all these rules or allowing illegal activity to happen, BUt thats a whole diffrent thread.

I will stand by what I said, in the NBA you should only get 5 fouls. I dont care if the stars foul out. I dont watch the game for the stars, rather for team basketball. That could explain why I have only watched 6 NBA games this year:mad: