1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Foster/Tate 3000 Yards?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by pgabriel, Aug 21, 2011.

1. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

If we are talking combined yards, then its most definitely doable.

Foster and Ward combined for 2600 last season. Ward also did not play in the first 2 games.

Now, consider the fact that we probably wont be playing from behind as much...so you wont see a second half where we do nothing but air it out. If we are in games or in control of a game, we will pound the rock.

I think 3000 combined is doable.

2. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Foster will get 1900 yards rushing, no doubt...
    3000 yards from scrimmage between the two is def. possible.

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

No way they'll get 3,000 rushing yards. That is absurd.

I don't care if they combine for 100 rushing yards on the season, as long as we make the playoffs.

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Jamaal Charles and Thomas Jones had a combined 2953 yards last season. A Foster/Tate combination could do it, but I'm not ready to crown Tate a great back yet. He torched a bad defense and he's had injury concerns.

5. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I think it's safe to say he is a good back. Has speed, tough to take down, and can juke. I saw enough to declare him the second best back on the team. If Foster wants too much money, Tate may be our starter next year.

6. rezdawg

The ankle thing was a fluke...and besides this hamstring issue (which has attacked almost every texan at one point this offseason), he never had injury issues in college. I wouldnt say he is injury prone...instead, he's just been unlucky.

Tate has always had the skill set to be a very good runningback. I wouldnt say last nights game was a fluke...I would bet he can consistently run the ball well.

7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Tate needs to beat out Ward before we start having this discussion.

8. rezdawg

I dont think thatll be very difficult. I also think Kubiak has the same mindset...he said,

Tate will be the backup come week 1.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Does Foster remind anyone else of Marcus Allen when he runs?

His stride, acceleration, and vision remind me of him.

10. liljojo

liljojo Member

If Arian is the runner he showed he was last year and this preseason, he's our #1 no matter what. McNair has proven that he isn't shy to pay his guys when they perform for him. I'm betting on a new contract before the season is done, especially if it looks like we're headed to the playoffs.

11. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

And consider Tate performed well without any significant practice time. Tate's best NFL comparison: Maurice Jones-Drew.

12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Foster is good but Kubiak's running system has always been great for RBs, ever since his Denver days. Not saying Foster is a scrub but I bet multiple RBs could rush for 1000 yards easily in this system

13. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i was thinking the same thing. i saw alot of MoJo in tate.

14. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

But we're not talking about all purpose yards, are we? Those 2 combined for 2,363 rushing yards. Not even close to 3K.

15. DreamRoxCoogFan

How can you just expect this? I think it's absurd to put this kind of expectation on him, and you're hardly the only one. Texans fans are being way too optimistic

16. liljojo

liljojo Member

Agreed. I expect around 13-1400, assuming he plays every game, especially if Tate shows he can carry the ball without much dropoff.

17. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

You have to take running backs with a grain of salt. I'm sure a lot of us were very optimistic about Slaton after his rookie season and only ended up disappointed. And a lot of running backs have outstanding years and follow them up by simply being good. Chris Johnson seemed sure that after going for 2K in '09 that he was headed for 2,500. But he fell back down, averaged more than a yard less per carry, and simply had a very solid year, but not an outstanding one like he did the year before.

I'd like to think that after the kind of rookie year Foster had, he'd have an even better season this year. But you never know. I do think that what he showed on Saturday put to rest whatever fears there were of him pulling a Slaton to rest though.

18. Kate81

Kate81 Member

There is a lot of base defenses being used in preseason especially if its a opponent you'll be facing in the regular season... not to mention there is usually some 1st team starters sitting out.

Just saying.

19. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I think he will have about 1200 yards on far less carries and a better ypc. Preserve the man, plus the Texans don't want to drop ridiculous money on him, Aka Tate and Ward will get a lot of carries.

20. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

He reminds me of Barry Foster...

Marcus was so skinny and tall, and much more of a finesse runner.