1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fort Worth Teacher Pleads for Assistance

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 4, 2019.

1. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

In Indiana they actually tie part of the teacher's pay to the performance of students, would you want to have more students who are struggling with their school work? The thing is, if you do not put all students in performance evaluation, schools will game the system by classifying all the under performing students as social need students for example. Not sure if there is a good solution for this.

biff17 likes this.
  2. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Yes I looked into it; and I think it's still largely in place with a few revisions.

WRT forcing kids to go to school -- I have been against this for some time. For one, there are some kids that shouldn't be in school -- they are disruptive to the learning process. They don't want to be there; and they shouldn't be there IMO. Let them go straight to some trade school or work. Or, lay around the house, as long as they are not using welfare funds or creating problems in the public square.

But, the state of Texas (pretty sure I have this right) bases the $ it sends to schools based on number of pupils that attend that school -- so schools have every incentive to keep their numbers up, including by way of truancy laws.

It's also the reason schools don't really care if some student's family lies about living in the school district. As long as it's another body, that amps up the numbers, which amps up the $.

So, there are (IMO) a number of dysfunctional processes at play.

3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

You are strawmanning it up today. I am talking about likely motive which is the fact that this person likely just wants to see our border enforced. You know, the laws broken by people in the US by being there in contrast to the law.

As for the legality of reporting someone... well... funny people suddenly care about what is legal.

How about I turn my head to the reporting issue being illegal until certain people around here stop turning their head from the crimes being committed by the illegal immigrants.

4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Bye, b****.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Not sure how I am strawmanning this particular issue. Her motivation is due to the alleged illegals in her school. The paradox is that while they may be here illegally, it is not illegal for them to be in school, thus nothing illegal is occurring. As I understand things, a teacher cannot report a student or their family as being here illegally.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't know what you guys are talking about. No Child Left Behind waa about funding schools based on student performance.

It was stupid in the sense that poor performing schools got less money. So how could they get better. That being said i personally dont think low performance is about money.

7. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

I'm not sure that's an accurate assessment, at least in brief summary.

Although, there's a lot of components to it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Child_Left_Behind_Act

Also, just FWIW, I have never supported "No Child Left Behind....." It rests on a lot of naïve assumptions about human nature.

You are correct, there are a lot of things that go into low student performance, that money can't fix -- namely good parenting.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Im just saying i don't know about the forcing schools to teach kids of illegal aliens

That being said NCLB was that simple. Bush was trying to bring a corporate approach to school funding and it just simply based funding on school performance.

A lot of the criticism was teachers and schools just trying to get kids ready for standardized testing

Edit: as opposed to teaching kids how to think critically

#28 pgabriel, Jun 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    BruceAndre likes this.