1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Former Rockets coach Kevin McHale at a Trump Rally in Minnesota?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Clutch, Jun 20, 2018.

1. conquistador#11

Ball got sticky! Nobody loves Mchale more than me, BELIEVE ME.
    Who he endorses that his own agenda and shouldn't be a stain in his career.
    I'll tell you what should be, coddling Harden the way he did when he first got here then act like that was all on Harden later after he was fired.

#21 conquistador#11, Jun 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  2. RESINator

RESINator Member

What a loser. Him and his wife are crazy.

SF3isBack!! likes this.
  3. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

He is getting torched online. It seems he should never be employed again. I think that it is a bit extreme but not surprising.

4. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

Since I never liked McFail since he kinda screwed with our team, I actually hope this torpedoes his career and we never see him ever again. Overrated player and crappy coach, good riddance.

SF3isBack!! likes this.
  5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Don't care but mildly interesting to see the risk taken here, and some indication of the Trump's base.

p.s. yeap, no more coaching position, however I had doubt he would ever be a candidate after his poor HC performance

6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

He won’t get an NBA job anymore.

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Not shocking but this will certainly impact what kind of respect he will have when he tries to sit on a couch next to other NBA greats again and talk about things like diversity in the league.

I don’t think McHale will be around the NBA too much in the near future. Which isn’t such a bad thing I guess. More than his ability to coach, he always did seem to lack respect more than anything from the players.

*But yeah... he was a pretty terrible coach. Dwight’s first year here that team should have made it to the conference finals looking back at how well that team was put together and in the end in the Portland series, the discipline that comes from coaching cost the series in the end.

#27 dobro1229, Jun 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I'm surprised y'all think it would mean no more coaching gigs.

If he was chanting "blood and soil!" or spoke at the rally on behalf of zero tolerance immigration, YES.

But just attending a political event to hear 45? Probably just to support his wife... seems like an overkill reaction. But we live in overkill times w overkill POTUS.

9. Granville

Granville Member

Yeah I couldn’t agree with you more.

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Attending a political rally to support his wife... of course that's not the reason why McHale wouldn't get a coaching job. As I noted its the respect he didn't have from the players, and his overall coaching ability that will be the more primary reason for him not getting another job.

I do think though that when it comes to him have the diversity conversations that often come with talking about the NBA from a cultural sense, this is something that won't go over so well.

And they don't necessarily chant "Blood and Soil" at Trump rally's but lets not sit here and act like Trump rallies aren't a breeding ground for racist expression.

joshuaao likes this.
  11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Regardless of what one thinks of the President, it is ridiculous that attending a rally causes him to be ‘torched’ online. If supporting Trump causes one to be unemployable, then there would be a lot of people out of work.

12. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Agree, over kill reaction, he can support dotard if he wants to, this is still a free country at the moment.

B-Bob and conquistador#11 like this.
  13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Its beyond dumb that him attending a major political event in his home state could make him unemployable.

Deckard, B-Bob and conquistador#11 like this.
  14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

What an astonishingly stupid tweet.

justtxyank likes this.
  15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I think we need to separate - does he deserve to have no more coaching gigs (or simply any nba job) vs what we think will happen.

The nba, as with most pro sports and businesses, take their image very seriously. He’s not going to have an nba job because of this... unless he has an explanation that the nba team or related bush can justify to employ him without a pr nightmare.

16. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

So a guy supports his president and the roaches come out and give him hell for it.

Laughable.

Granville likes this.
  17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Holy crap at that Lynn McHale tweet.

Wow.

Did she just compare working families using daycare services voluntarily to families having their children taken from them? Is she attacking working moms who can't stay home with their kids?

But "liberals" are the out of touch elites lol.

Yeah I'm going to go ahead and say McHale's unlikely to get a coaching gig again, though he was unlikely to anyway.

18. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He won't get another coaching job because he's completely out-of-step with the modern NBA, not because of his politics. You'd think all of us would know that.

Calling him the greatest PF in history is an insult to Tim Duncan.

DonnyMost, krnxsnoopy and B-Bob like this.
  19. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

Sure you shouldn't be "torched" online for simply supporting a political figure, but McHale works with people in the NBA, an environment that employs numerous people of color, you think they want to work with someone who backs someone who disdains other people of color? It's not like he was a great strategist or coach anyways.

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I agree, he's a terrible coach besides....

But some people argue Tim Duncan was a Center and just takes that PF mantle to avoid being compared to Hakeem, Kareem, Russel, and Shaq.

I tend to say he's a PF though.