1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Former Muslim says that ISIS represents true Islam

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by PhatPharaoh, Sep 7, 2014.

1. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

I am not sure if you are serious or trolling with that statement... There is no way that the Muslim community, as a whole, is now standing against ISIS in unity as they did after the release of the cartoons depicting Mohammad. Many members of the Muslim community at that time called for the death of the cartoonist and there were widespread protests... This outrage was from nearly every Muslim person that knew of the incident, while the outrage towards ISIS is from several Muslim leaders, not the average Muslim.

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

so a few radicals after the toons flapped their gums.

Against ISIS Muslims are actually fighting them with real weapons, and laying their lives on the line everyday against them.

If you think a few radicals speaking radically is a more sincere demonstration of opposition than Muslims actually sacrificing their lives fighting ISIS, then I don't know what to tell you.

3. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I don't support any implementation of Sharia law that oppresses human rights, and supports things like death penalty for theft. I understand that I am against what most Muslims in the region believe.

I'm against any religious laws being forced on anyone. It's not what I believe in.

4. Nook

Nook Member

ISIS is not very popular in the Middle East with Muslims. People forget they are primarily killing Muslims. Concerning Sharia Law, it is scary and I believe dangerous how many Muslims want Sharia Law world wide. I even know Muslims in the USA and EU that feel that way.

5. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Yeah, I've listened to interviews with American Muslims who support Sharia law. It was hard to fathom. Some scholars were saying that it is the norm for Islam to be infused with the govt. and the concept of separation of church and state isn't part of the culture.

It's a crazy concept that I don't think is in the best interest of either religion or the governing of people.

6. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

I was not specifically referring to Muslims supporting ISIS's methods to achieve their goals, but the fact that they have common beliefs (implementation of sharia law, establishment of a global caliphate, etc) was more along the point I was making.

These similarities between what many would view as "moderate Muslims" and the ISIS "extremists" are astounding. The fact remains that many of the Muslims even in the states or Europe support and believe in what ISIS is doing is vastly supported throughout the Muslim population and is what has prevented a very large segment of the Muslim population from not only speaking out against ISIS, but also refusing to denounce their organizational goals as wrong.

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Aaaaaand here we go.

That is actually hinted at in that Imam "ISIS denunciation video" by at least one of them - that it must be "someone else" (= Israel) behind ISIS.

As usual, some Muslims deflect responsibility even for Islamists' actions in the name of Islam and try to follow their usual routine: Use Israel as scapegoat. No matter how utterly absurd the assertion is.

#47 AroundTheWorld, Sep 9, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  8. g1184

g1184 Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/K5nigZzgf4Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

If that is what they truly want, than maybe coming to the US is not the best idea for them. They can make common cause with the fundamentalist christians who believe religion should be part of their government, but it still will never happen here....not as long as we are still abiding by the constitution.

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Separation of church and state is still a relatively new concept. For much of mankind history since Religion taken hold, Religion is a significant part of governing (aka dictating) people life. It just takes time. The flip over is going to happen sooner or later. I said sooner given the interconnected world.

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

While many Muslims agree with some of what ISIS stands for that doesn't mean support ISIS. Many Christians agree with some of what the Westboro Baptists church stands for but that doesn't mean they support all of what the Westboro Church stands for.

This is one of the basic problems between the West and the Muslim world. There is an inability to differentiate the differences and diversity of the Muslim world and just presume that they think alike. Also as others posters have noted the majority of Muslims oppose ISIS and are actively engaged in battle against them.

As I've said before though if your view is that really Islam is the problem what is the solution? Should we actually try to wipe out Islam? That isthe narrative that people like ISIS and OBL put forward, that the West really wants to wipe out Islam and they (the extremists) are the ones who can defend Muslims from a new crusade.

1 person likes this.
  12. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

You should make this a thread and add a public poll with an array of options to it.

13. Faust

Faust Member

most americans believe islam is the problem (look at polls to see how popular moslems are). most americans will want to wipe out islam once they see the polls someone showed here. there narrative is right. we want to wipe out islam. war is coming because its too late and moslems are bad guys.

still i dont think there all that bad and some are very decent people. since we cant tell the difference between them, they will pay for the actions of moslems in other countries like iraq unless they accept christ as their savior.

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

You cannot wipeout Islam. Islam needs to reform
    itself.

15. Nook

Nook Member

#1 ISIS is not well liked by most of the other extremist groups for no other reason than the leaders clash. ISIS has virtually no support outside of ISIS from other extremist groups.

#2 In the Middle East there are virtually no moderate rebel groups, which if you understand Islam isn't a surprise. If your message is secularism and moderation, you are not going to attract many followers in a violent rebel setting. Also, it is far easier to condone what you are doing, killing and looting and rating and completely controling a population when you can point to a strict form of religion that says conversion at all costs is necessary.

#3 ISIS is a loose, and weird confederation of people. Not all members of ISIS are hardline fans of a caliphate for religious reasons. We have decades of rebels and soldiers that know nothing but violence. They go where the action is and they like to join a winner. For example, many ex-Iraqi soldiers (including the Republican Guard) were unemployed and had nothing to do. They were never extremist Muslims, but essentially soldiers of war.

#4 People calling for the destruction of Islam are wasting their time. There are 1.5 billion Muslims, reproducing quickly in mostly third world countries. Impossible to kill them all.

#5 Agree with you on your point about Westboro or for a larger perspective consider Born Again Christians. Many of them want a Christian nation. They are very much at odds with moderates. Indeed, many moderate Christians have disdain for them. Imagine Pat Robertson leading an army and Muslims saying he represents the average Christian.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Islam needs to be secularized and it needs to stop being used as a tool to oppress and control poor people.

17. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

#1 yes, while this is true, they many ultimately support the end goals of ISIS. They may hate ISIS itself, but have practically the same beliefs and goals.

#2 Exactly, this is why I believe that Islam itself needs to change, and that the religious text itself is almost directly responsible for many of the atrocities committed in the Middle East today. In the Middle East, there are very few "moderate" Muslims (to the degree that we view Muslims who live in the US). Those living in the Middle East are much more radicalized than those here.

#3 ISIS may be a loose collection of people, but they are very well organized and have advanced military training (many of the generals of Saddam's army have joined ISIS and are training their fighters in proper militaristic maneuvers.

#4 I don't think anyone wants the destruction of Islam or Muslims per se, but many would want the Muslims to reform and secularize their own religion. They must adapt to modern times and learn to separate church from state. Otherwise, there will be constant terror group formation and atrocities will continue to regularly occur in the Middle East.

#5 The difference between your examples are that if he were to lead an army and slaughter people opposing him, he would NOT be able to support it using Christianity or the Bible. However, for these fanatical Islamic groups, they can directly point to the Quran to support their radical beliefs. This is the major distinction I draw there and is the reason why Islam is unlike any other religion.

1 person likes this.
  18. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Yeah bc the gap here in America is so awesome.

19. Nook

Nook Member

No one said everything is perfect in the USA and Western Europe. However people here get formal schooling, numerous opportunities for further education and opportunities that are not afforded to people in many places in the Middle East.

Do you disagree with me that Islam is currently being used as a form of social control and control of poor people in many places of the world?

FWIW I do not think it is inherently that Islam is "bad" or anything of that sort. Hell, Catholicism was used as a form of social control and oppression of the poor for centuries.

If your position is that because everything isn't perfect in the USA, that we can not be critical, then there would be no discussions about anything.

20. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

The gap here is nowhere near the gap in many Middle Eastern counties in terms of income though... the lower end of people in the Middle East are extremely poor and don't even have access to basic necessities and there are a lot more people living in poverty in countries like Iraq/Afghanistan/Pakistan/etc than there are here in the states.