1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Former DIA Director Flynn: 4 years and never briefed Obama face to face.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TheresTheDagger, Jul 15, 2016.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

btw, Flynn was head of DIA for less than two years (don't know if he claimed different, or if the OP did).

2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Was it his job to brief Obama directly? If not, it is expected that the President meet with DIA director 1-on-1? Before being outrage at this, seems like those are questions to be answered first.

3. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

This is great news for McCain and Romney.

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

If you and your cute little messages think they can get in the way of our OUTRAGE, that will only serve to further ENRAGE us. :mad:

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I just think that there are so many legitimate reasons to be upset about things Obama has done or has chosen not to do that there's no reason to manufacture more.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

He must've had some smoking guns that he or his aides couldn't articulate in the daily briefings. Some deep undercover intrigue caught by a valiant and resourceful protagonist. Writing is for p*****s.

The man who should be really upset here: Jack Ryan

7. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Are you saying he is shiftless?

8. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

It's a blog founded by Tucker Carlson, the Bill "Rocket Guy" Ingram of politics.

9. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Actually, he did that. He wrote a book after being ousted, which didn't get into the 'tell-all' stuff at all, as so many such books do. Rather, it outlined his views (and his co-authors) on the problem with radical Islam and what to do about it.

Do you not think it reflects at all on Obama's character that he never bothered getting information on probably the nation's most significant challenges directly from the person putting it together? Yes, he could get the info in the report, but would have no chance at all to probe or ask questions. I would think those are things there would be questions about...wouldn't you?

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The person putting it together was/is the Director of National Intelligence - this was a post 9/11 reform implemented in the 2000's in order to alleviate the problem of individual heads of the nation's 17 different intelligence agencies each demanding their own audience with the President.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

No, it doesn't. The allegation pretty much rests on the public ignorance of how exactly Obama and presidents generally consume intelligence information. We can't actually tell if it is appropriate or not for Obama to meet with Flynn, so people predisposed to Obama will say "I'm sure there's a good reason" while those against will assume "Flynn obviously thought he should have so that's probably true."

It could be that getting a personal measure of Flynn would help Obama interpret the information better. It could be that Obama avoided it because a relationship would prejudice his understanding of the information. Or maybe he didn't like the guy. Maybe it would have been an affront to his Sec of Defense. Maybe Flynn just wasn't very important. Maybe his work was terrible and the President never read it -- or maybe it was great and the President never read it. I can't tell at all if it's more appropriate to meet him or not meet him. So, I'm going to throw the whole of it out as garbage. This information doesn't help me without context.

12. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I thought the same thing and tried very briefly to find any information on what other Presidents did. Can't find anything concrete, so I'm going to assume this guy is just upset he had an important job but never got to meet the POTUS. I'd be a little upset too, but that doesn't mean it's justified or it's that big of a deal.

I don't know how he receives his information or the process of these things, but these reports of Obama and intelligence briefings aren't new. http://freebeacon.com/national-secu...-percent-of-intelligence-briefings-this-year/

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Hysterical reports about Obama being the worst thing in the universe since Cthulu and the Elder gods from fringe right wing websites are not new either.

That's how you end up with Trump as a nominee of a shambles of a party taht lives in an alternate reality.

14. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

This. From the descriptions, the DIA director was responsible for providing briefings with no fewer than three people who then directly briefed the president. If something had fallen through the cracks and wasn't getting reported to Obama, this guy could easily have requested a meeting, but didn't do so in four years.

15. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Yes, and Obama would have asked the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs, the Secretary of Defense, or the CIA Director, any of whom could have given excruciating levels of detail on any such query.

16. TheresTheDagger

Thats a fair response to the question, but the question does remain.

There is information out there available to the public that can verify whether it is typical for Presidents to meet with their Senior Military Intelligence official. I don't expect everyone to believe me, but I've found some of that evidence in at least one book I've read on how previous administrations interacted with the DDIA. Generally, yes the President in the past has had quite a bit of interaction with the Director of the DIA. How much depends on the subject at hand, but given this particular DDIA's personal expertise on ISIS, Iraq, Afghanistan and intelligence in the area it seems to me like a no-brainer to at least have a sit down with him for 30 minutes sometime in the 4 years he was with the Obama admin.

Is it Obama's fault? Less clear. Its entirely possible his White House staff kept Obama isolated from this guy, or downplayed his information or requests for meetings. None of that is certain. All we do know at this point is Flynn seems to feel he had important information/insight to provide and for whatever reason, Obama never received it face to face. Why is the question I wish we could get an answer to.

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Sam made a good point in this regard. Bush reformed the intelligence process.

So, if you've read that Reagan or Clinton or Lincoln did it differently, is it relevant to how Obama chooses to work? It used to go one way, then Bush overhauled it, maybe Obama made changes too, and now it works differently. Is it better or worse? I have no idea. If I read this fellow's book, will I be able to divine the truth? I don't really care enough to find out.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, we all know what you're really saying about Obama.

[​IMG]

A lazy watermelon eating negro just like the rest of them. Not willing to put in the hard work to get ahead in life.

I wonder what would have happened if Obama got a memo saying he should be worried about terrorists planning to use planes as missiles and ignored it. I bet he would have been impeached.

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'm totally getting deja vu with this thread. Didn't Flynn's comments get posted last year or something.

[EDIT]

He was the main person in this thread

<a href="http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=270734&highlight=General+Flynn">Ex Head of US Special Forces: Iraq Invasion Created ISIS</a>

It was "Head of Special Forces" in the OP Title that was questioned.

#59 heypartner, Jul 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  20. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Each president can get his intelligence how he wants. W wanted verbal briefings every day and according to some sources, didn't spend much time reading the Presidential Daily Brief. Obama, if reports are to be trusted, reads the PDB every day and gets in person briefings on a regular basis, just not every day.

Regarding the meetings, here is how the Washington Post put it a few years ago:

No mention of the DIA. It seems the CIA gathers all the intelligence info and presents it each day. Besides, everyone who has worked in government knows you don't get briefs from Executives who barely have time to read bullet points. If you want to understand the info, go to the staff expert.

Here's a good article on the differences in how past presidents have received intelligence info:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...00cb63e-04fc-11e2-8102-ebee9c66e190_blog.html