1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Former DIA Director Flynn: 4 years and never briefed Obama face to face.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TheresTheDagger, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I honestly don't think it's that abnormal for the President to not be briefed by the DIA director personally.

In fact, I'm fairly sure it's rare for that to happen.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You see confused. The DOD is the parent agency of the DIA. The DIA director might answer to multiple individuals, but the DIA falls under the umbrella of the DOD.

Anyways, your argument that he reports to multiple individuals actually harms your article's original premise. Flynn already had three separate entities that he reported to. If he wanted to report directly to the president, he would have to ask. If he did, and was denied, then maybe he would have my sympathy ear.

3. TheresTheDagger

I can only go by what he said in the interview. His words are:

If you're asking me to speculate, I would assume 1 on 1. Doesn't really lessen the shock Obama didn't find 30 minutes for a debriefing in 4 years in that role. Especially given what was going on with ISIS, The Iran Nuclear deal, The Russian reset, Libya, Egypt, the Arab Spring, Syria, etc.

This guy is a real expert on those areas as well. Prior to his appointments described in the OP, he was the intelligence chief for Joint Special Operations Command in Iraq and Afghanistan, working for Gen. Stanley McChrystal.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's likely that he never gave a briefing with Obama in the room and I don't think that would be terribly unusual. It's much more likely that he briefed the people that briefed the president. For example, President Kennedy created the DIA and he didn't receive briefings from the DIA director during the Cuban missile crisis even though the DIA constantly was briefing others that reported to the president.

Directly briefing the president just isn't what the DIA director does.

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Oh, cover up. I guess you have evidence of that then? Let's see it.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not getting into this again with you, I know that your partisanship gets into the way and that you aren't capable of admitting the obvious. It's why you have absolutely no credibility when it comes to political issues.

7. baubo

baubo Member

IIRC from all reports, Obama's cabinet was for a more aggressive approach towards ISIS in the early stages and Obama rejected their plan, for good reason I may add given how much American people hate our interventions there.

If so, it seems this Flynn guy's message was accepted and passed on to the president. Obama simply chose to take a different path. Feel to me everything is operating as it should.

8. TheresTheDagger

On the contrary, it is you who was confused. I never denied his department was under DoD. I DID say the Director of DIA has a dual reporting relationship, part civilian...part defense which until my last post you mistakenly challenged. Also, his post is filled NOT by the Sec Def but by the President himself who is civilian leadership, not military. It is not as simple as saying its strictly DoD.

ANYONE who is appointed directly by the President is someone who over the course of 4 years would absolutely be expected to brief the President in a 1 on 1 situation. Especially if you are one of the top 3 experts in the government on intelligence.

9. CometsWin

So this is just you running your mouth with no substance to back up your contention. That's unusual.

You're attacking my credibility for asking you to prove your contention. Also unusual.

10. TheresTheDagger

Bobby, I can tell you DEFINITIVELY after reading Hayden's book that this statement is inaccurate. At least it was in the G.W. Bush administration.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The FBI director recently came out and said that there was evidence that Hillary while Secretary of State broke the law (though not intentionally despite the fact it is irrelevant) but you want to ignore it because partisanship. It's okay, I'm not sure anyone would expect more from you, over the years, you've made it clear you aren't capable of objectivity when it comes to politics.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Fair enough, but I'm pretty sure that would be the exception rather than the rule.

13. TheresTheDagger

14. CometsWin

No, actually he said there was evidence of potential violation of the statutes but that no reasonable prosecutor would bring such a case.

You see Bobby, you're even full of **** on the actual facts that you present. You're a clown poster, bro.

15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

*Yawn*, guy with a grudge, er, agenda with books to sell (and luckily, Fox News).

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

But, on The West Wing the president was always involving everyone on the team

17. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

He would have gotten ISIS to defect if Obama had just listened.

[​IMG]

18. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

I get the chain of command, and I get some skepticism regarding Flynn's comments coming now that he is aligned with Trump.

But, all politics aside, I would think most people would find it surprising that the President of the United States never ONCE had a meeting with the person responsible for the intelligence that most directly affected our actions and affairs in the most critical issues and areas this country faced. Would you feel the same if this same scenario occurred under Bush? I agree that the President wouldn't meet often with those underneath his direct reports (Cabinet level), BUT wouldn't you think that the Director of the DIA would be one of those with whom he would have met a least a few times? Especially given the various situations that have occurred that his input would be so essential?

Perhaps his reports are very well put together (he strikes me as someone for whom that would be the case), and Obama just takes them at face value, and gets input from SecDef, etc on what to do about it. But, perhaps they aren't being given the credence they probably should have been. The disjunct between Obama's statements around ISIS and Flynn's statements to Congress indicate the latter. THAT should be troubling, to everyone. I am pretty sure many of those downplaying this would be trumpeting that were it found to have been the case for Bush, over Iraq.

1 person likes this.
  19. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Consistent theme of Obama's presidency - he's not willing to put in the hard work required

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't see the big deal.

I do think it reflects on Flynn's character that he'd try to cast his old boss in a negative light. Our senior intelligence officer in the DoD playing petty partisan games? Have some class, man. Show some loyalty.