1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Former Astros News

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by CometsWin, Jun 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

2. TimPoopura

TimPoopura Member

Yep, Kike is having a really nice year as a utility bench player. He's only 23, he can play multiple positions, he already provides slightly better than replacement-level offense, and he's under team control for a while. The future is bright for him. It's amazing that the Marlins acquired him last year and then shipped him off to LA so quickly. Shrewd pickup by Friedman.

Fortunately, the Astros have plenty of guys like Kike who are young, cheap, competent bench players with some upside. Short-term that's Marwin Gonzalez, and long-term it's Kemp. The rest of the Astros infield/utility prospects are mostly in the lower levels right now (we seem to have a bevy of international guys in A ball and shortseason ball).

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Perhaps the Marlins will let him come back to Miami to throw a bullpen session for their pitching coach.

4. Textroets

Textroets Member

I guess Cosart continues to be a confusing player. Through 5 starts his ERA was 2.97 and it just slowly rose every game...3.68, 4.08, 4.12 and finally 5.36.

He's been 2 totally different players. Looks to me like he had 5 good starts but 4 REALLY bad one's.

5. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

Is it too depressing to talk about JD Martinez in this thread? .291/.350/.572 with an OPS of .922. Ouch.

6. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

But we have Presley!!!!!

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think it was dumb they optioned him. He hasn't been that bad. He needs to improve his walks, but I wouldn't be surprised if he went 20-10 with a 3.00 era.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

LOL, when?

9. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

19-6 the rest of the year for Cosart?

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I wouldn't BET on it.

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Keith Law had Martinez as being undeserving of an all-star spot, and was insinuating that last year was a fluke. It was like he didn't look at any of his numbers outside of a decrease in BA.

12. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

But he's always right though. :rolleyes: :)

13. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

That's odd. JD has been on a tear the last 4 weeks. Among all MLB positional players, he's number 18 in WAR this year, nipping on the heels of Giancarlo Stanton. If he keeps up this type of production, he'll be due for a big payday.

14. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

Did any of us raise a stink when the Astros released him? Nope. And I don't think the Tigers expected anywhere near the production that they've gotten out of him.

15. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

Agreed, but it doesn't make me feel any better. Thankfully, this won't appear in a list of "worst trades," seeing we didn't get anything for him.

16. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

You also have to wonder if he would have evolved into the player that he is if he wouldn't have played with Miggy. A great influence on his swing.

17. TimPoopura

TimPoopura Member

And, because he went unclaimed off waivers, the JD Martinez explosion has really been an indictment on the whole league.

18. Buck Turgidson

It's goddam ludicrous that people still bring him up as some sort of negative against the Astros.

19. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I concur, dude was given ample opportunity and he had some success, but overall he was a dime a dozen left fielder. I liked him, followed him from the low minors and was hopeful that he was going to be an everyday player for years to come, but he is not an Astro now and I could give a rats ass what he does now except to go down swinging every time he faces an Astros pitcher.

20. Buck Turgidson

Oh, and he got a minor league contract with Detroit because everyone's favorite former Astros player/coach, Dave Clark, suggested it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.