1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Former Astro] Luke Scott is a birther

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Major

Major Member

I think there are two reasons:

1. He didn't think the controversy would continue and tried to ignore it. To do it now would open him up to every other conspiracy theory with a "well, he answered that. why doesn't he answer this? he must be hiding something!"

2. I think, politically, it benefits him to have these crazies running around. It just makes the other side look nutty.

1 person likes this.
  2. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Agree with #2; hadn't considered #1.

+1 to you. Thanks.

3. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Birthers are funny people. There should be a TV show made about these people in their quest for the truth, while disregarding basic law and civics.

http://immigration.findlaw.com/immi...-citizenship-naturalization-did-you-know.html

It really does not matter, where Obama was born, he could've been born in another galaxy, let alone Kenya or Indonesia. For the most part, if at least one parent and some cases a grandparent is US-born citizen.

If it makes some Birthers feel better, Obama is still half-white. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_of_Barack_Obama#Maternal_relations

4. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

But no one thinks of him as an Astro. They think of him as an Oriole cause that's where he plays. So Houston doesn't have to worry about him being in the news for that comment. Baltimore does. His family does. And his hometown in Florida as well.

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Perhaps, though the only reason I care about what he thinks, is because he was once an Astro.

6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

i don't understand that. If my parents were not born in the states and moved here and gave birth to me here in the states am i not a naturally born citizen?

7. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

As far as I know, yes, you would be a naturally-born citizen. Obama's dad was Kenyan; his mother was from here....Kansas, I think.

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

That site states what it takes to become a US Citizen, it is clear that in order to be President, you MUST be born in the US.

9. Raven

Raven Member

The birther stupidity is almost as bad as the truther stupidity.

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

It's not the fact that he is not a citizen that prevents him from releasing the birth certificate, it's because Al Sharptoon is listed as his father on the certificate.

11. uolj

uolj Member

I believe so, and that's the accepted definition of "naturally-born citizen" but I think the argument is that there is no official definition of that phrase. I've seen at least one person argue that it is supposed to mean that both your parents are citizens in addition to you being a citizen at birth.

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Myth busters time!

An oft repeated line is that the Constitution was specifically crafted in such a way to prevent Alexander Hamilton from running for president of the United States because he was such a strong willed figure in the early years. Some Constitutional professors (including 2 at the University of Houston) even argue that James Madison wanted to ensure that Hamilton didn't become President because Hamilton was a monarchist. This of course is disproven by the fact that Madison himself actually argued AGAINST the NBC requirement as he wanted to make sure that men of high quality would migrate to the United States to better the nation. He himself records that he argued with Hamilton on this issue.

But, even if none of the above were true, Hamilton was not ever exempted from running for president. Furthering highlighting the ignorance of so many "Constitutional scholars" (really UH?) the US Constitution contains an "OR" clause in the requirements that would allow Hamilton to run for president the same way it allowed men who had been born before there was a United States to run for president.

13. rtsy

rtsy Member

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hMszFf-Y4aI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hMszFf-Y4aI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

14. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

'Army Birther' Sentenced To Military Prison

FORT MEADE, Md. — An Army doctor who disobeyed orders to deploy to Afghanistan because he questioned President Barack Obama's eligibility to be commander in chief was sentenced by a jury Thursday to six months in a military prison and dismissal from the Army.

15. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

16. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

The state of Hawaii doesn't issue anything other than the Certification of Live birth (what many call the "short form') anymore. This has been confirmed by Hawaii's governor, among other officials.

17. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

fix'd

18. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Is this true? My brother had his passport application rejected the first time because he only had the short form birth certificate. He had to go to the courthouse to get the long form.

19. uolj

uolj Member

Was he born in Hawaii? It's different in every state. From what I remember reading, in Hawaii you can get the other version, but the one Obama released is enough for passports, driver's licenses, etc.

20. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

According to the Governor of Hawaii, the Certification of Live Birth is the only form they provide.