1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Former Astro] Luke Scott is a birther

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Dec 8, 2010.

1. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

As should actors, entertainers, writers, doctors, lawyers, union and corporate employees, government workers .... unless they agree with you.

Although I am not a "birther," I do believe that everyone has the right to their opinions.

#21 thumbs, Dec 8, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  2. edwardc

edwardc Member

What an idiot a duche if ever there was one.

3. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I'll bet you're the "Get a Brain" guy in Post #13! :grin:

4. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Denying the fact that the President is an American is not an opinion, it's a mental disorder.

1 person likes this.
  5. Major

Major Member

Slightly off topic, but he's actually a pretty good player, which is probably why this made news (top story on Yahoo, apparently). Not that it's saying much, but if he were on the Astros, he'd arguably be their best hitter, slightly better than Hunter Pence. He had a 0.900 OPS last year and has hit 25ish HRs each of the last 3 years.

6. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I've been meaning to ask this for some time:

First, to be 100% clear, I believe Obama was born in Hawaii and is a citizen of the United States. I believe that and I don't doubt it at all.

They have his birth announcement from the Hawaii newspaper and they have the "short form" birth certificate or whatever it's called, as was pointed out by Anderson Cooper to the Texas Rep.

So….what is the controversy, exactly? Do they not have his actual birth certificate? Does this make the short-form cert unofficial? Has the actual certificate itself been sealed or something? If the short-form cert is legit, then what is it the birthers claim is being hidden?

I believe he is a citizen. I just don't understand the controversy itself. Can anyone explain it to me in non-partisan terms? I'd really appreciate it. Rep for a satisfactory answer(s).

Or should I start another thread for this?

7. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

There is no controversy. Just a bunch of idiots who can't accept a black man as president.

You don't have to rep me.

8. Lynus302

Even if this is the case, it has to be based on something, and I'm trying to understand what that something is.

And I did say rep for "satisfactory" answers.

:)

9. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

But that's the point. It isn't based on something. All of the somethings have been answered. There's only one conclusion to come too. I'm sorry if that makes people uncomfortable. :(

10. uolj

uolj Member

The original birth certificate exists (republican officials in Hawaii have affirmed that I believe), but a regular person is not allowed to see one belonging to somebody else. Obama hasn't released that, mostly because the certification of live birth is effectively a birth certificate in Hawaii and is all you need legally for anything. I think many birthers believe that because you can apply to get a certification of live birth after the fact, that it isn't enough to prove his citizenship, as documents could have been forged to get it. Also, they believe that because Obama is unwilling to release the actual birth certificate itself, he must be hiding something (see Scott's comments about hiding stuff), so the presumption should be that he was not born there.

There are other theories that state that even though he was born in the U.S., he isn't a naturally born citizen because his father was Kenyan (or actually British) or because of his time in Indonesia.

I may be wrong, it's been a while since this was in the news much.

1 person likes this.
  11. Lynus302

+1. Thank you. Is there any rationale as to why he wouldn't release it or is it just to irritate the crazy faction of his opponents?

12. Lynus302

I am unfamiliar with what those "somethings" are, hence the question. When this was in the news, I figured it was baseless, and ultimately gave it little thought.

13. uolj

uolj Member

Good question. I haven't heard any actual reason for not releasing it other than the fact that there is no good reason to release it. I think the implication is that he wants to irritate the crazy faction of his opponents, or possibly allow them to de-legitimatize themselves.

14. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

He's not a hometown player. He was born in Florida. Chris Sampson and J.R. Towles are hometown players.

15. TexasTofu

TexasTofu Member

This story has to be one of the weakest to get on the Yahoo jump page, and thats not saying a whole lot..

16. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

17. uolj

uolj Member

Does the government check to make sure that people are U.S. citizens before declaring them the President of the United States?

18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

OK, but he played for the hometown team. That was my point.

19. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

It's based on nothing. Officials in the state of Hawaii, including the Republican governor, have vouched for the authenticity.

It's even in a local newspapers. It strains credulity to think there is a conspiracy that would go back and change archived newspapers.

[​IMG]

20. Landlord Landry

Oski, I really dont care if Obama is a US citizen or not.

but, do you really think the US government is a credible source at this point?

signed,

Wikileaks.