1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Former #2 pick Ryan Leaf gets his sentence

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by GRENDEL, Jun 21, 2012.

1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

By MJD | Shutdown Corner – 11 hours ago

[​IMG]

AP
    A pair of noteworthy San Diego Chargers hit milestones in opposite directions this week. For LaDainian Tomlinson, things were about as good as they get. For Ryan Leaf, well, things are every bit as bad for him as they appear to be in the picture above.

The sentence he got from a judge in Great Falls, Mont., on Tuesday does keep him out of jail, but at this point, even that might be a loss for Leaf. He'd been behind bars since April 2 and called that time a "sanctuary."

He also offered these three statements to the court. First, speaking of his parents, who were not at the hearing:

"They believe I've held them for ransom for 36 years, and I don't understand why I should have to do that any more."

"I'm lazy, and dishonest and selfish. These were behaviors I had before my addiction kicked in."

"Five to 10 years of Ryan-free drama for my family, this community — particularly for this nation — would be pure bliss for people."

It might be pretty nice for Ryan, too. It's just that he's shown a remarkable inability to live that drama-free life he spoke of.

Leaf's been fighting a painkiller addiction, one that's driven him to multiple acts of burglary over the past few years. Police found stolen prescriptions drugs in Leaf's possession back in March, when he was already on probation. Released on bail, Leaf then robbed a mobile home in search of more pills. He still has outstanding charges in Texas, too.

Leaf was, in 1998, the second overall pick in the NFL draft, and considered by some to be a better quarterback prospect than the man who went first, Peyton Manning. Leaf never adjusted to being an NFL quarterback, though, mostly due to the laziness, selfishness and dishonesty he cited above. He is considered to be the biggest draft bust in NFL history.

Unfortunately, he hasn't fared much better as a citizen. I hope for the best for the guy, but at this point, when he's on his 48th chance and he's begging for jail time, I don't know that there's much left to hope for.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...-terribly-low-self-esteem-065652937--nfl.html

2. 713

713 Member

Meh, Jamarcus Russel was a better bust.

3. GRENDEL

Should be #2 pick, my fault on the thread title

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Put him on suicide watch. He needs serious help.

5. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

I didn't even recognize him.

I heard him on the radio a while back it sounded like he got his life together...Apparently not

6. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Meanwhile. Peyton is still ballin.

7. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

He looks like a lunatic in that pic.

8. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Looks like Tom Green

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I realize I'm a glass half full guy, but this sounds like self-awareness and acceptance of responsibility to me. I'm hoping it means a change for him.

10. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I've heard this from him at several different points, most notably while he was QB coach/golf coach at WTAMU. And I honestly believed him.

11. Raven

Raven Member

It's just the addiction talking.

12. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I still like him more than Tony Romo

13. Nook

Nook Member

Ryan Leaf is a huge right wing neocon.

14. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

I do not think there will ever be a bigger bust than him.

15. raining threes

JaBust Russell

16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

The thing is, the Raiders HC at the time objected to the pick; everyone knew he was a bust but Davis. Leaf on the other hand was a legitimate #2, especially with Manning off the board. Leaf kind of just decided to be a jerk at the wrong time, and Gilbride was probably too nice or analytic of a guy to command respect or set any kind of an example.

17. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Consider the hype and it's not even close.

18. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

The mest up part of this is had he just handled his business on the field he could have popped as many pain killers as he wanted too, without getting In Any trouble what so ever. The dude had serious potential and was a great prospect. He just didn't take it serious And the pain killers kept him from staying focused on the task.

19. Classic

Classic Member

Terrible.

20. GRENDEL

Just awful, what a waste of his life.