1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Forget if Lin starts, the real question should be whether his minutes drastically reduces

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Cloudx9, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

It is the all important STATS people, forget what is best for the team. :rolleyes:

2. Spyckie

Spyckie Member

I don't understand why the focus is around Lin vs. Bev.

Objectively speaking, Lin & Harden have similar play styles and should be fighting for minutes, except that you really can't fight for Harden's minutes - you can only work yourself into more minutes around Harden's minutes.

Lin should take the majority of minutes that Harden is not being primary ball handler and also share some minutes with Harden when the situation calls for more offensive options - which is a lot of minutes still.

If you are worried about minute distribution you're looking to satisfy everyone's ego and a false sense of 'what people deserve'. If you are looking to win, you have to sacrifice that view in order to maximize the line up potential both offensively, defensively, and even situationally (twin towers is a great example). Line up diversity is where the Rockets are going to excel, and minute distribution means little for this.

Stifling defensive line ups are really good at killing opposing team morale. Making a team cool down from a scoring streak or feel like they can't buy a bucket is extremely intimidating. Unstoppable offensive line ups are also the same way because the opponent starts to feel helpless and that they can't keep up. Continuous offensive and defensive pressure for the full game wears down morale as well.

Well, the rockets can pull out any number of line ups to maximize offense and defense while keeping pressure offensively and defensively the whole game. That is seriously impressive, and make no mistake, Lin plays a big part in that.

1 person likes this.
  3. eomor131

eomor131 Member

should name "fan only thread"

4. eomor131

eomor131 Member

True. 48min nightmare

5. hltiki

hltiki Member

All I know is, if I'm on a contract that no one wants to take and in a position where I am limited time and role wise to show that my contract is worth every penny, then I'll be commanding the ball and playing for my own stats and not for the team win, kind of like how Lin was playing during the Linsanity days, except his team won.

That's just the way it is, and I hope JLin realizes that if he doesn't get his own out there in the reduced minutes, then his career in the NBA may not just be short, but a laughing stock as well.

6. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

A) Lin was playing the way D'antoni wanted in Linsanity days, not playing for his own stats

B) He's a team player, so no, I doubt he will be just looking to pad his stats. He would also be the best player on the bench, so he wouldn't have to.

7. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

That's what Lin fans want anyway, but it'd also be a good way to drop his minutes in half.

8. hltiki

hltiki Member

You're both entirely correct, and I won't argue one bit. Let me rephrase it like this, if any player, Lin or not, had a contract no team wanted and played a highly stacked and competitive position, then I would do my very very best to show other teams that I am a good investment.

That's all. No lof sentiment here, just grown man rationale... I mean come on, in every profession, every career, you would do just that; hold and dominate your position so that other companies see just how awesome you are. People do this in very competitive schools as well.

And by the way, I say all this with the assumption that Lin will be shopped next year.

9. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Let's see if he really gets to be the facilitator.

10. kumakun

kumakun Member

If Lin gets 20-25 mins a game...please send me McHales address so I can give him a big fat middle finger in the mail.

11. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

no. Lin fans doesn't want to see Lin only cares about his own personal stats.
    Linsanity is personal stats + max his teammate ability (getting everyone involved)

12. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I think Jalen summarises it very well, when you're a roleplayer, you want to be a good team guy, and get that "veteran" label, that way you can be like Camby and Juwan, and "keep getting dem checks", Camby won DPOY several years back so it's not like he wasn't a high level role player either.

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

The real question should be what gives the team most wins.

14. landryfans

landryfans Member

Obviously a lot people here hates Lin but has no ball to say it.

15. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

Please send me your address so I can mail you a bullet for ruining my ClutchFans experience.

16. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

17. gene18

gene18 Rookie

Sometimes cheap is too expensive. You get what you pay for.

18. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I will never understand the hate for Lin.

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Me neither. He is a really likeable guy, and actually also a good player.

20. gene18

gene18 Rookie

Crazy statement. Magic Johnson said that Lin was so successful in NY because he got every one involved. I watched every game and I feel that magic is right.Lin is a great team player.