1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Foreign Players are "fundamentally harder-working" - Popovich

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DFWRocket, Jun 13, 2013.

1. SunsRocketsfan

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Somebody should remind Pop of how hard Beno, Rasho and Hedo "worked" when they played for him. He ran each of them out of dodge with a pitchfork because they didn't work hard enough.

Spurs have been very successful with overseas players, but his brush seems a bit too broad from the Spurs own experience over the years.

3. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

One thing Pop does well is to get his players into a team-first mentality. I think it's more that foreigners buy into a team concept versus American-born superstars that want to have the sole focus.

4. roksoer

roksoer Member

So many kneejerk reactions already, most of you Americans can't seem to think objectively about this and react defensively.
    Deny it as much as you want but this is a known fact, you can come up with as many Darko Miličićes and Miloš Teodošićes as you like, but it's still exactly like what Pop said.

European coaches preach team basketball, none of the players there care about their stats, that's why PPG, RPG and APG are rarely mentioned when debating the quality of players as opposed to here, where every player analysis turns into random statistics comparison.

American media also plays a huge part in this as they always focus on individual greatness since it makes for a better story.

Now no one is saying that there's no such thing as an American hard-working basketball player or a European basketball sloth. It's just that generally it is that way. "Foreign" players will buy into a team concept sooner than Americans.

5. roksoer

roksoer Member

Heh, funny you should mention Beno and Hedo since they are two guys that are generally hated by their countrymen for developing huge egos since coming to the NBA, which is also quite common for "foreign" players

6. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I do think foreigners are "fundamentally harder-working". I barely would NOT count Duncan in that though.

I lived in St Croix where Tim Duncan is from ... Yes its different culture than the US. Though they're watching 97% American movie & tv programming. And listening to 60-75% American music. Driving the same cars (except on left side of the road).

There isnt any disciplined basketball programs or anything. Duncan is too "quiet" even for the hometown. Duncan is just a humble freak.

7. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

"Immigrant vigor" is a well-known economic phenomenon, though it's a little simplistic to say that immigrants work harder. Obviously LBJ and Wade are hard-working.

I think a better way to put it is that immigrants tend to be more realistic. If you're making a decision to give up your way of life and move to another country, it tends to make you think about whether it's a good decision or not. The idea of moving to another country and then failing is also quite humiliating. That's a strong motivating force.

Realists make good role players. Talented but delusional players do not.

8. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

no one can say those guys don't work hard. he's talking about the average american player

9. Nook

Nook Member

V Span says hi!

10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I think it depends country-by-country, but COLLECTIVELY its more than the US. Is Usain Bolt a "humble" non-primadonna always finishing out his races hard? No. But then you can definitely say Dynex-owning Goran Dragic isn't a primadonna and correlate it to being from Slovenia. So could be a little more Gorans than there are Usains.

Pop said "FUNDAMENTALLY harder working". I'm saying it is "fundamentally FOCUSED". Meaning more on doing fundamentals of the game instead of just focusing on pure skills. There doesnt have to be much ego component to it.

Grant Hill can be a good guy but not focused on pure fundamentals development. Vassilis Spanoulis and Darko Milicic can be aloof oddballs who do work on fundamentals. Doesnt even mean they're better or worse, just more fundamentally sound cuz its how they're taught.

I think Stephen Jackson got himself waived. He's clearly declined and made himself an easy cut. James Anderson is a more useful player now. You don't shoot 37% from field, 27% from 3 and say you're better than anyone.

11. johnnybravo

johnnybravo Member

"...giving the Miami Heat a run for its money in the NBA Finals" -- I'd say that's an understatement.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Pop is a very smart man.

DD

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is shaking his head at RW
    Even the #BeWell ones feel ENTITLED

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

There are plenty of average american players that work hard too.

Just look at the roster of the Rockets, they are filled with them.

I think also it takes more for a non-american player to get drafted to the best basketball league in the world.

15. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

i'm not saying there aren't. i'm saying, on average, the american players have a lower work ethic than foreign players.

16. tksense

tksense Member

We are not talking about whether Americans work hard or not. Anyone would if they have a goal and a desire.

First, pop says "fundamentally" meaning he specifically points out that foreigners work hard on fundamentals, and as explained, due to culture of training.

He also mentions American kids being "coddled", which might distract player from working on fundamentals, but rather on abilities to gain attention. For example, box scores, gestures, and facial expressions.

You notice why Spurs get the rep as "boring" team? O com'on right? The only reason I think is due to Duncan's lack of facial expression.

I would say spurs had been one of the most exciting teams for the decade. Fastest PG? Flashy and long hair SG? Look at their plays and dunks. Even Duncan dunks a lot. His lack of celebration IMO is the only reason he gets on no espn.

Its strange.

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Because on average it takes more from them to get noticed by NBA scouts. Even still you get dispassionate foreign players like Hedo.

Duncan's dunks are boring that's why. Manu was exciting in his prime, now he's just a old guy trying to hang onto his career...Parker still is exciting...

But really Duncan's dunks are boring...compared to say Blake? They are very boring and always have been. He basically just dunks the ball with little flare.

18. VanityHalfBlack

Well yeah, they kinda have too? You want them to throw rock and steal bread for the rest of their lives?

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Duncan has been boring all his career so far... same expression in his face, virtually same gesture
    Seems to be a boring person in private life too
    Now he is getting divorced to stir things up after many years of boredom

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

To be honest with you, would I be watching Spurs which I am not I would be tending towards the Admiral and his thunderous dunks