1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ford: "Rockets balked at taking on Snow's contract"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeAleck, Jul 22, 2004.

1. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

People, forget about him! No way in hell we'll get him.

He is way too expensive for us. He opted out 8mil/yr extension (2yrs), you think he'll take MLE?????

And he is a true center, so will be too slow to defend those mobile 4s.

And for those you don't know about him, he worked hard last year because it was his contract year. He probably will revert back to his old lazy underachieving self once he gets a big contract.

2. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

He might be forced to, since Atlanta isn't going to give him the big bucks, and Golden State doesn't want to do a sign and trade.

3. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

I'd be really shocked if Dampier ends up with MLE. 25+ teams are in need of a good center.

BTW, didn't warriors try to do SNT w/ NY?

4. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

They did, but since the Warriors recieved D. Davis from Portland in the Van Exel trade, they don't want the proposed package of Nazir Mohammed & Othello Harrington anymore.

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

thanks...I'll try it.

6. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

Just a slap in the face reminder of what we gave up for Ediie Griffin. Hindsight is 20/20.

7. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

I'd rather not have Jefferson at all than pay him near max money. When he gets that contract he should give half of it to Kidd.

8. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

I bet if we threw 6 years at him, starting at $6.99 million per year, he'd jump on it. We could do this with the TE plus a draft pick. Golden State would like the deal, because they wouldn't take any salary back in return, the reason they apparently won't do a deal with NY. Dampier could fill the Cato role perfectly, at a per year salary less than what we were paying Cato.

9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I doubt he would take that deal. There are a lot of teams like the Knicks and Hawks that are offering him much better deals. Hell, some teams were even mentioning the max or close to for Dampier, which is nuts.

W/ Foyle, Fisher, Alston, Boozer, etc...recieving very generous contracts, and the fact that Dampier is actually a very sought after FA, I doubt he settles for less money when he and his agent know he can get much more.

10. SA Rocket

SA Rocket Contributing Member

For some reason, it seems like we should know who the seventh pick was that year...hmmm, it's just not coming to me right now. :confused: A little help please?

:eek: :mad: :mad: :mad: :(

11. Slick Rick

Slick Rick Member

Dampier wants to start too. He would only get 12-15 minutes a game. He is 30, and he wants to get paid now with a long term deal.

12. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

right on.... that guys been riding the gravytrain on the kidd express.

13. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

xiki, you can save the pages as web page, html only

then open in frontpage and then you can copy and paste

14. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Or to copy:

Select (highlight) the text you want to copy.
    Ctrl C (to copy)
    then in the message text box
    Ctrl V (to paste)

Ctrl C/Ctrl V - the programmer's best friend.

15. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

MAybe you didn't see that Richard Jefferson was averaging about 25 ppg with Kidd and Martin out last year. Jason Kidd hasn't carried anybody in his entire freaking career. Kenyon Martin will dispel this myth or do you think Kidd will make Aaron Williams as good as Martin?

16. Matador

Matador Member

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/basketball/9201579.htm (registration required)

No more Snow in Sixers' forecast, but don't feel sorry for him

By STEPHEN A. SMITH

Philadelphia Inquirer

ATLANTA - To some, it is a sad day. To others, it's time to throw a party. Eric Snow, the loquacious, born-to-be-a-leader point guard who rode a coaching genius' philosophy and the magician-like skills of his backcourt mate to an NBA Finals appearance and newfound riches, was traded from the 76ers to the Cleveland Cavaliers on Tuesday.

And for those wondering why, here's the bottom line:

Allen Iverson is Philadelphia's newest point guard. A youth movement is, officially, in full effect. And the shaving of $15 million off the Sixers' salary obligations should make the boys at Comcast very, very happy.

Whether the Sixers will be a better team next season remains to be seen. But at least this city has been given a reason to care again. As defensive-minded and committed to winning as Snow was - he was trained to be by none other than former Sixers coach Larry Brown - he didn't exactly bring any intrigue or suspense to last season's lethargic 33-49 campaign.

"With me, you definitely know what you're getting," Snow said Tuesday, hours after he was traded for guard Kevin Ollie and swingman Kedrick Brown. "I worked hard. I gave it my all. I made the most with the skills I had and tried to facilitate other guys doing their thing.

"We won a lot of games with me doing that, but it became clear to me a long time ago the team was looking to move in a different direction. Willie Green is going to be a player in this league. We all know A.I. can do whatever he puts his mind to. Like anything else in life, there's always an ending. I just can't say enough about the way the Sixers' franchise and the city of Philadelphia treated me and my family. There were really some special times here."

If Snow had his druthers, there would have been more such times in Houston, alongside Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady. If only the Rockets had been willing to deal Juwan Howard to the Sixers instead of Maurice Taylor - but they weren't. So Cleveland, a mere 45 minutes away from where Snow grew up in Canton, stepped up to the plate and became Snow's newest home.

The Cavs get the leader they've been looking for.

New head coach Jim O'Brien and the Sixers finally get started with that new era everyone's been waiting for.

"The decision to trade Eric was twofold," Sixers president Billy King said Tuesday. "One, get more playing time for Willie Green, who I think is ready for it. Secondly, with the style of play that Jim wanted to play, it was time to go in a different direction.

"What Eric gave you was defense, a QB. I think Eric was the QB that was going to make the safe pass, make sure guys ran the plays. With Jim, now you have, say, Allen Iverson, Green, or someone who's not a traditional QB to run your offense. Guys that can both run and create plays."

It doesn't mean trading Snow was easy by any stretch. But it had to be done.

In getting rid of Snow, the Sixers ridded themselves of a $30 million obligation over the next five years, acquiring Brown, who is entering the last year of his $2.3 million deal, and Ollie, a four-year, $12 million obligation.

Brown's a stud athlete and Ollie is the prototypical backup point guard, which can only help the Sixers.

As for the Sixers, think back to two seasons ago when Dikembe Mutombo was in the lineup, only to watch helplessly as the Celtics, sparked by Walter McCarty and Rodney Rogers, annihilated them in Game 5 of that first-round playoff series.

Rogers and McCarty would set picks, then pop out for wide-open threes. Now you get a picture of what O'Brien's crew will look like next season.

It's conceivable that Iverson will start at the point, with Green at the off-guard.

It's plausible that Glenn "Big Dog" Robinson will see minutes both at small forward and power forward.

It's entirely possible that O'Brien will go small occasionally, inserting Kenny Thomas at center and Aaron McKie at small forward, with Iverson, Green and Robinson in the lineup.

And there is no question the three-point shot will be used in abundance.

Interesting? Absolutely. Especially with Snow gone. And when was the last time anyone's been able to say that about these Sixers?

"We're definitely changing," King said. "I think the way the game evolved in watching Detroit win, and guards like Dwyane Wade and Stephon Marbury play, you almost do not need the set-up point guard anymore."

They'll always need Snow's heart, character and professionalism. Perhaps they'll find that in someone else.

As for those feeling sorry for Snow, "Don't," he said. "I'm happy."

For himself and the Sixers.

So don't lament. Join the crowd.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another player that wanted to play in Houston but we didn't end up getting. Its nice to feel wanted but I am glad we didn't deal Juwon for Snow.

17. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

We need to call this board the Clutch BBS Dream Board. As long as Dawson is GM keep dreaming.

18. MONON

MONON Member

Dampier won't be a Rocket. He wants to be a starting center not a backup. As long as we have MoT, Dampier wouldn't get many minutes at backup 4. From his side , the Rockets aren't a good match.

That being said, I thing he'd be a great addition to us for the MLE.