1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Forbest Richest People in the World

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jeff, Jun 27, 2001.

1. Steve_Francis_rules

What's impressive to me is that he's one of the few rich Americans who seems to even care at all that people are dying over there.

------------------

2. Greg#3

Greg#3 Member

I did the math and it's like $85 from someone that makes $50000. That goes to show how much jack he has.

------------------
    President of the Eddie Griffin fan club.

3. Band Geek Mobster

So what exactly is your point?

$100 million is a lot of money, maybe not to Bill Gates, but I assume it's a lot for the charity he donated it too. I doubt those people that received that money thought, "Psh, whatever Bill, if you really gave a damn about us you'd drop 6 or 7 hundred million, freaking cheapskate."

------------------
    This post contains no smilies, you must judge my seriousness on your own...

4. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

tell me who do you respect more...someone who has only 5,000 dollars saved up all their life and giving it all away to the flood victims or someone who's a billionaire giving away a million dollars?

you see my point?

------------------

5. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Actually, Gates makes very little each year. His net worth is mostly Microsoft stock, and while that net worth is substantial, the money he takes out in any given year is pretty small (though it has grown in recent years. As recently as six or seven years ago, Gates took only about $1 million per year in cash).

Not to defend Gates or his charity. I just wanted to note that despite his net worth, he doesn't really have that money. He cannot even access most of his worth very easily (he can't simply liquidate his position without driving the stock price down considerably).

In his defense, though, Gates gave at least $5 billion to his William H. Gates Foundation run by his father (the Gates Foundation is the largest philathropic foundation in the U.S. last I heard). He gave $1 billion for college scholarships for minority students (to be paid over the next 20 years). I'm sure there have been other donations, too.

------------------

6. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

and i'd be happy with just a million

[This message has been edited by Rocket Fan (edited July 01, 2001).]

7. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

yep, I didn't realize donated that much...if its in the billions, that's very respectable...

------------------

8. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

He should give some of the organizations some stock options.

Could end up being much more profitable in the end.

------------------
    The title will come to ClutchCity once again.