1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Forbes]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tariq, Jan 4, 2006.

1. tariq

tariq Member

2. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

wow thats pretty cool i didnt know forbes had this. lol we are the 3rd most valuable team

3. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

thanks, i was looking for this yesterday and couldnt find it.

I didnt like this part

#3 Freik, Jan 4, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2006
  4. tested911

tested911 Member

Its called Yao Ming.

Take him out and I doubt werer in the top 10 LOL

5. tested911

tested911 Member

"The Rockets and baseball's Houston Astros parlayed the threat of starting a regional sports network into a monster contract with FSN Southwest. The deal reached at the end of 2004 calls for the teams to share $600 million over 10 years. Owner Les Alexander hopes the one-two punch of Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady will keep fans showing up at the taxpayer financed Toyota Center which is home to some of the priciest seating in the NBA. "

$600 million / 10 years = $60 million Say rockets don't even get half lets just say 45$ because Astros get more because this is a baseball town.

Not to include the many endorsements from overseas but how come we can pay to get players in here?

Thats frigin 45 extra million dollars to bring in players.

6. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

so why is the rox owner so cheap on players? its not like he's not making money..

7. rw7183

rw7183 Contributing Member

Anybody heard of this thing called a salary cap?

8. Freik

See the New York Knicks

9. tested911

tested911 Member

Of course but is it going to cost us that much??

Lets say we go 10 million over and that means we have to spend an extra 10 million cause of the cap...

That would be 20 million dollars... WE CAN AFFORD that... Bottomline Owner wants a bigger wallet.

10. ty185

ty185 Member

and I'm glad rox ain't them :)

11. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

$10 million extra is ALOT of money...damn

12. Freik

/agree

13. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

doesn't surprise me, i ordered two long island iced teas for me and the wife and the guy absoulutely floors me with a $28 bill...........never buy alcohol at the toyota center, seriously. i could have bought nice bottle of rum or vodka for less than that. it's absoulutely ridiculous.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Are you serious?? :eek:

15. tested911

tested911 Member

When reading the article I was like that ain't bad at all.. 8 bucks for two long Islands... then I re-read the article and saw the 2 in front of it LOL :eek: Man 28's bucks???? You sure that didnt include the 20 dollar tip :)

16. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

BEFORE we got T-Mac, we we already up there with Yao. Drafting Yao was one of the best business decisions we ever made. Not a bad basketball decision, either ;)

17. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Yea - always eat before the game. You can eat a good meal before for what Pizza, drinks, a sandwich, ice cream cost. Never buy alchohol at TC. I bought my wife a Cosmo (WELL type) at the large "Jack Daniels" themed bar downstairs and it was about 9.00 before tipping.

I like Les alright, but I remember him complaining on 610 about 2 mos ago that the Red and White restaurant made no money. They make it up elsewhere....

18. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

And who can blame him...would you want to shell out an extra $20million if you didn't have to? Its called a business and the idea of a business is to maximize your profits. The days of owners when they would just own the team as a hobby and spend the money like former SanFran 49ers Edward John DeBartolo, Jr. are gone.

19. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

dead serious...i tipped the man nothing, but i'm sure he included some of that in there for him, but it's ridiculous.

the food is expensive as well but the fish tacos i had were terrific. i think the food is some of the best you will find in any sports arena, but you still pay a large amount for it.

20. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

really? WE can afford it? i'm sure you'd have reservations about paying your electrician twice as much as his asking price even though you could "afford" it.