1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Forbes] The Rockets are the 7th most valuable team in the NBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Juxtaposed Jolt

Because the team is "not worth it as currently constructed," couldn't you, in the same breath, say that's why Tilman needs to spend money? To make the team "worth it?"

There's no reason to play it safe. Not while Harden is in his prime. And it's not like Tilman is hurting for money. (Really.)

HP3 likes this.
  2. dmoneybangbang

Yea, spend money on players who can help us beat a historically good team....

Not overpay to bring a team back that overachieved last season. Why would we want another Ryan Anderson type situation? It’s not about playing it safe, it’s about not being stupid and completely screwing up the rest of Harden’s prime.

biff17 likes this.
  3. s3ts

s3ts Member

Greater Houston is where the new housing constructions are concentrated in, of course there's an influx of people moving IN to those areas. Plenty of room to doubt anything to be said, also applies to what I wrote.

Oil being up and down was not the point. The point is, where the investments are heading. Again, I make the point that Oil & Gas is one of the most profitable businesses, but companies are still downsizing and I still see a lot of people ages 40 and up who can't find jobs even after the climb of oil price. All the while, O&G companies are investing more of their budgets into renewable sources of energy.

We live in a new era of capitalism -- profitability does not trump sustainability/morality anymore. Without investment, even O&G will die, and today, people do not want to invest in O&G even with its ability to produce revenue and profits.

I'll go as far as to say that O&G companies who do not invest significant portions of their budget into renewable research are not winning much investment. BP, Shell, Cvx, they're all investing cash into renewable energy, and not out of necessity from the standpoint of revenue -- because they want to make sure people are willing to invest in them, and doubling down on a profitable O&G solution with no regard for sustainability/morality is not the way to do that anymore.

You say 15 years, I'll be happy if O&G can stay stable over that period, and I hope I'm wrong. For Houston's sake.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

https://www.chron.com/sports/rockets/article/Odd-process-leads-to-Van-Gundy-s-exit-1802257.php

Funny that they got the Ex Phoenix coach in the end but the pace is still mediocre to slow.
    And Alexander decided to leave.

5. Juxtaposed Jolt

Why are you even spending time on a fan forum, then? Just go to sleep until the Warriors aren't the Warriors, then come back to CF.

sirbaihu likes this.
  6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

If the team isn't good enough to compete and overachieved last year, then we should be beginning the rebuild, no? We shouldn't be wasting our picks just to save the owner some money.

You either spend money to improve the team or you spend money to take on assets to begin the rebuild. If you choose the third option of selling assets for cash to delay the rebuild and delay improving the team, then sell the team to somebody else.

#26 J Sizzle, Feb 6, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  7. dmoneybangbang

Discussing my favorite team is why I am here? I’m sorry differing opinions makes you feel uncomfortable.... Maybe you should talk to a loved one about and then come back to CF?

;)

daywalker02 likes this.
  8. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Some fans could only be happy in 1994 1995 and the rest has been only disappointment for them. Doesn't sound very fun.

9. dmoneybangbang

Aside from having a poor argument, what makes you think I want to rebuild? Because I think our team overacheived last year?

Wasting what picks? I’m sure our picks are in play for the right guy.

Did we not sign Capela and CP3 last off-season? Did we not take on slightly better assets to get off Anderson?

Unfortunately team building isn’t a linear line upwards from year to year. Sometimes you have to take a step back to take two steps forward.

10. dmoneybangbang

Seriously...

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

But who tells you that? Father Time who is undefeated or some Morey Smart Ass Stats?

The reason GMs make mistakes is mostly because they dun own a Time Device.

When is the best moment to draw the line and say hey, let's rebuild?

I think Harden is exploding right now. And Morey would have hit the rebuild button once Harden is either out or has given up which is unlikely right now.

12. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

At $103M per year the guy cant lose.

I always thought the profit is nonexistant

13. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

When did he say that?

14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Exactly. Which is why moves that are made simply to cut salary and not to improve the team would be a great disappointment. We'll see what they end up doing.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The most disappointing thing is you got an owner who says things and acts the other way.

Les was more direct but he wasn't exactly wealthy among billionaires.

J Sizzle likes this.
  16. rockets13champs

Nets it’s NY

17. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I don’t believe there is a trade out there right now that we have the assets to pull off to make us good enough to win the title.

This offseason I think that trade could be there. I would hate to improve this year and still likely lose and then have an even tougher time improving next season.

I also think had this team been healthy all season the movement for a splash move probably wouldn’t exist.

J Sizzle and dmoneybangbang like this.
  18. dmoneybangbang

This. I don’t want to go “all in” just because Harden is having an epic season to lose to the warriors and really waste Harden’s prime.

Like Les, I think Tillman will spend when the team is worth it.

19. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Agree and ive always said that Ryno deal will be Morey's downfall. From what I know of Tilman, watching his tv show and interviews, he seems to be a "take no bullshit" kinda guy. If Morey fails again this season and next, he will likely be fired partly because Tilman will think he can hire a better GM.

Plus, Tilman has basically said if we don't reach the WCF at least this year, there will be major changes. No one is safe!

20. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Does this mean I can stop buying crappy food at Landry's now that Tilman is not in financial trouble anymore?